The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Price
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Lefers

City/Region: St.charles
State or Province: MO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bobcat
Photos: Jim Lefers
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Price Reply with quote

Very interested in 25 cdory that we traveled 600 (rt) last weekend to see and water test but the 60000 price concerns me. It's a 1 owner 06 boat and trailer with twin Honda 90's but when I look it up on nada they say 28000 would be the top side. What are these boats selling for ? We also looked at a rosbourgh about the same year and ( it's listed with broker) they say that is a fair listing price as they wont waist time if a vessel is priced to high. St.Charles,mo. has a personal property tax that they base off nada value and we pay that yearly.i don't want to be the dummy that paid thru the nose for a vessel but also don't mind paying a premium for a great vessel. Any help appreciated,I just sold our big boat and anxious to replace it with a"pocket trawler" style boat.
A Fishin C

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi and welcome,
this site is where you can do your research.

Nada means nada when it comes to C-Dory.

Supply and demand.

We have a forum on here which is market place reference, then try yachtworld, boat trader, adhunter, even google 25 C-Dory for sale.

As my Dad is fond of telling me "it costs what it costs"

Not trying to be a jerk but there is lots of info pointing to the fact that 60K for and 06 25 is a typical price.

Every once in a while one comes up in the 50's but not very often and they don't last.

Best of luck in the chase:)
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be a useful exercise to first price a new boat that is equivalently outfitted. Next use boat trader, yacht world, craig list and adjust every boat price to equivalent equipment. After you have done a dozen or so boats you will know a lot about pricing used 25s.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a topic that comes up repeatedly and which has been discussed ad nauseum on this site. Do a search on the term "nada" using the search box above and to the left, and read through several of the threads. You needn't read them all but that will answer your question above. If you need additional, more specific information, post again.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold my 2007 25 C-Dory last year. Sounds like that boat is in the ball park, assuming it has been cared for and is well-equipped.

As is often said here, NADA doesn't have a clue regarding what to do with boat value on a niche boat like the C-Dory. Instead, they base it on straight line depreciation, as though it was a Bayliner (which are sold in much higher numbers).

Realistically, a bank won't know what to do with a loan on a C-Dory, either. Not their fault, if they aren't boat-centric.

While not the deal of the decade on that boat, it sounds as though the price is fair. Have a surveyor look at the boat, and they will check it out for obvious issues and also give you a fair market value on what boats like that are selling for, as well as replacement cost.

C-Dory hulls don't really depreciate - electronics, engine(s), and trailers do. And those things are easily upgraded. One of the really great things about the C-Dory hull - besides the seaworthiness, great style, and rugged build... not much change over the years.

Good luck with your search,
Jim B.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about real C-Dory Prices and the NADA, Buc's, and others price guide values?

The question about NADA, Buc's, and other price guides is another one that gets asked repeatedly.

The bottom line is that these guides base their prices on the following:

1. Original retail list price.

2. A standard across the board (or brands) 20% or so depreciation out the door loss to the original buyer.

3. A repeated annual yearly depreciation rate, over a set period, for all boats (or RVs, or cars, or airplanes. etc.), of usually like 14 years, or ~7% per year.

4. And now the BIG LIE: They also claim to do Market Research to add into the above considerations what the vehicle is actually selling for......................NOT TRUE!!! And certainly not true with C-Dory!

It would cost a lot of time, labor, and (really) MONEY to do that research and price adjustment, so they just don't do it, and instead run the depreciation rate adjustment programs once a year and publish the results.

Now the bottom line to you/us is that the tables in those books are grossly inaccurate. C-Dorys don't depreciate like most boats do simply because of their quality build and, mostly, their very high demand rate on the market. The demand keeps their resale value high, and, consequently, they represent a much better investment than most other boats.

Now, as to the price guide values:

A. They're LOW, Out of Date, and don't represent Real Resale Values.

B. You can't use them as meaningful guides in purchasing a boat.

C. If the bank or lending organization you're working with uses them, you'll have to convince them to use real sale prices and results ("archives") from our files to appropriately value a boat, and set up a loan.

D. The same problem comes up in valuating a C-Dory for insurance purposes: you and the company will have to come to an "Agreed Upon Value" to properly insure your boat against loss. Use the same approach as under "C" above.

E. Where you might make out is if the Tax Assessor uses one of the price guides to value your boat for tax purposes.

F. By the methods used by the price guide companies, boats over 15 or so years old should be worth about ZERO! Not true! Actually, as boats get older, their value is much more determined by their condition than their age. A 12-25 year old boat may be in excellent working condition and value, or ready for a complete refurbishing/rebuild or the scrap heap/parting out routine. If you need help in determining the condition and proper value for a boat on the market, ask an experienced C-Brat (hopefully local to you) for help and employ a Yacht Surveyor if need or desired.

It would be a good idea to put this often discussed topic and post somewhere near the "For Sale" and Archived For Sale adds to prospective C-Brats to see and use.

Good Luck!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Chuckpacific

City/Region: SW PDX
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Big Sky
Photos: Big Sky
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About ten years ago I decided to sell my 1988 Landcruiser. It was in perfect shape, had 120,000 miles on it and but had a Blue Book of $2800. Looking at auto trader and researching the web I saw that some similar rigs sold for up to $12,000. So I listed it at $9000 and the phone rang off the hook. I ended up getting $7800 for it. I don’t know exactly where KBB or NADA get their prices but the point is those prices have a lower dynamic than the actual market. The ‘worth/value’ of anything depends on how badly the seller wants to sell it and how badly the buyer wants to buy it. Any other stated price is essentially meaningless except as a starting point.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One factor with C Dory is that probably 90% of the boats never reach the "broker" market--and that is where BUC and NADA get some of their base figures from.

The 60,000 is in the ball park, especially if there are low power twin 90/s. There are occasionally some which are listed in the 70K range, and a new one will run well over that--maybe up to 100K, depending on gear and accessories.

Also remember that NADA does not include motors, trailer, or any of the electronics/accessories.

Bob

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NADA situation is far from C-Dory specific. In fact, based on reports I've seen here repeatedly - their C-Dory prices are more accurate than other brands.

Last year when we bought our Nordic, we decided to finance about 1/3 of it. One of the first places I looked, was USAA - we love them for everything else and they were advertising a boat loan special. The rate was great, and I called them up and started going over the details of the Nordic we were looking at.

After several minutes of going over every option on the boat, the rep came back with a value - $16K. They would loan 70% of that.

After the requisite jaw drop, my smart-ass response - "I'll take four of them." After all, that would have been cheaper than the $70K we paid, for a vessel with a $75K valuation from a marine surveyor.

Lesson learned. Should we ever borrow money for a boat again, the first question of any lender will be what they use to determine value. Any response other than a trusted, local marine surveyor - they're simply not a lender we'll waste our time with.

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with the negative comments about the NADA guide. I have found it's fairly reasonable. You have to also consider it is for the price of the boat only. You'll have to add in motor (about $100 a horse), any additional equipment and trailer, etc. But in the end, a boat is worth what one is willing to pay. Sometimes, too many times, what folks are asking, doesn't necessarily mean they will get that. Look at what boats are bought for, and you'll have a better idea. Colby P.s. just went and double checked NADA. Look at the Listed price rather than retail. Step down a little from listed, and I think you will find that much closer to the C-Dory's worth.
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USAA and others can be convinced. If you show them the price of a new version of a 22 cruiser c-dory for example, the 2015 equipped that same as a 2006 it comes out to be around 75 grand with twins and premium trailer and good electronics. A C-dory hull isn't wearing out over 20 or more years like a car would, or a wake boat. The engines can wear, and the electronics can get out dated, but the the hull is basically the same, year to year, including paint scheme. There are logical arguments that can be made if you shop around for financing. Credit Unions seem to be more interested in investing time looking at real sales values you find and print-out for them as opposed to sticking to the NADA type guides. They'll discount the printed real sale prices because most sellers will have 10 to 15% in the listed price compared to the real sale price. The boat you mentioned sounds pretty decently priced.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
Jim Lefers

City/Region: St.charles
State or Province: MO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Bobcat
Photos: Jim Lefers
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Price Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers you all posted.Since boat us ins.requires a survey I contacted Marina 's in the area and will have the vessel surveyed this coming week.Talking to the surveyer on the phone I will have both in and out of water survey and he said at that time he could advise me on price. Hoping I can get the boat and attend the Alton,I'll. group after Labor Day.We had did that last year while we still had the tracker 32sun cruiser to see first hand the different C Dory's and have wanted a 25 from that point.thanks again for the advice . . . . .Jim Lefers
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

Let me congratulate you on your taste and perspicacity in selecting the best of the C-Dory line, a C-Dory 25. You'll enjoy it's many features, combining comfort with handling. It provides adequate room for a cruising couple and will accommodate guests for a weekend. My only complaint is that the v-berth is 2" short, but it's many other qualities make up for that.

Indeed a wonderful boat.

Boris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
I disagree with the negative comments about the NADA guide. I have found it's fairly reasonable. You have to also consider it is for the price of the boat only. You'll have to add in motor (about $100 a horse), any additional equipment and trailer, etc. But in the end, a boat is worth what one is willing to pay. Sometimes, too many times, what folks are asking, doesn't necessarily mean they will get that. Look at what boats are bought for, and you'll have a better idea. Colby P.s. just went and double checked NADA. Look at the Listed price rather than retail. Step down a little from listed, and I think you will find that much closer to the C-Dory's worth.

Listed means what that manufacturers list price that year for a new boat. I don't believe that these are collect for the C Dory either. NADA has the C Dory no longer in production after 2009.

I find that on both my 22 (2006) and the 25 in question here, (2009) the Average retail is from 15 to 20 K too low. The NADA listing does not have the proper accessories for the C Dory--so basically mis-information what the boat is about. "Note: Manufacturer note(s): No longer in production. See Skagit Marine Distributing Inc for Skagit Models prior to 2003. See Olympic Boat Co for Olympic Boat models prior to 2003."
Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NADA stands for National Automobile Dealer Association. That right there tells you what they know about boats. It is ironic that this service that purports to aid buyers by clearing up the process just muddies up the water. Banks and associations don't buy C-Dorys, knowledgeable boaters do!

It's something in the water!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: