The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Trim Tab Operation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deliberated quite a bit on the trim-tab indicator lights. I felt, like you, that who cares what the tab is doing - my purpose is to affect the BOAT, and I can/should be able to see what that's doing already. Who needs one more distracting thing in the pilothouse? Just look out the window and/or feel the boat!

But.... at least on the Bennetts, it's a rigamarole to add the indicator lights later, whereas it's no biggie when you are first installing the tabs (which I was). Because of that, after some deliberation I decided to add them to my original install. Turns out, I really like them and am glad I have them (especially after I switched the light wires so they make sense to me).

I still go by what the boat is doing, but I find it interesting to see how much tab it's taking to DO that. (They are not visible like sails are.) And when I have been drifting (for example), I like to be able to see where I left them before running up to speed again (maybe I want to change them - or not - before throttling up). And... sometimes my brain is just confused and likes to see where the tabs are Very Happy May not apply to everyone, but I thought I would mention my experience after going back and forth about it before my initial install of the tabs. It's not like I'd be lost without them, but I am definitely very glad I installed them (easy then; more of a hassle later).

The Auto Retract (it comes bundled with the indicator lights) I hated and disconnected (kind of suspected that would be the case) although I may use that wire for another function at some point in time. Like changing the lights, that was an easy/quick wire switch.

(The reason it's a hassle to add the indicator lights later is that they use a different "head" on the activation arms that are mounted to the outside of the transom. The indicator light head includes wires for such. So to change later you'd have to mess with the arms on the transom/hydraulic tubes, etc. I had the fuel tanks out during the initial install so it was "roomy," but I didn't want to have to monkey with them later once everything was back together - figured if I hated the lights I could just not use them, and changing the wiring around for the way the lights work, the auto-retract, etc. is easy).
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The operation of the trim tabs makes a bit more sense if you have experience piloting airplanes. Not sure why they did it that way though.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Lenco Tabs with the lights, and it took a while (long), for me to get the (imho) stupid and totally reversed system using their labeling. I didn't swap the wires like Sunbeam did, but I wish I would have. I now use them like they are labeled and get it, grudgingly.

I like the lights though, reminds me to bring them up and shut them off when I drop from planning to slow cruise or head into the marina, dock or anchorage.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

G.W.

City/Region: Rainy River
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 2012
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Photos: G.W. (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: trim tabs Reply with quote

Like Sunbeam, I've had the Bennetts with and without indicators. Will never have tabs without indicators again. I've also had Lenco's and Volvo QL's.
I wish the QL's would have caught on better because they are definitely the nicest and easiest to use, and have the cleanest installation. The controls are very intuitive and the service from Volvo was great. Don't know if anyone sells them anymore.
G.P.

Gene&Mary

City/Region: Seattle/Center Island
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Linnea
Photos: Linnea
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the adjustable fin on the outboard affect trim tab operation?
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In short, it doesn't. That fin is for correcting torque steer and the trim tabs (mounted on the hull) are for adjusting hull trim either side to side for leveling, or forward/rearward for overall trim. The up/down trim adjustment on the outboard contributes to the latter but has very little impact on the former. We do not have trim indicators on the 19 but I find the response so clear, that I don't miss them. They are strange to learn but once you have it, indicators seem largely misleading to me without regular resets. I hated the auto retract function at first but now I don't mind it at all. In fact I think cindie likes to use the noise as an indicator that the boat is shutting down when mooring dockside and she is out of the boat.

Greg

more details on adjusting engine steering trim fin-

The setting to neutralize steering torque is different at every engine rpm setting and even engine trim setting.

So, most folks set up the trim on their engine to neutralize steering torque at their normal cruise and normal engine rpm and their normal engine trim setting.

If that is what you want to do, first set the trim tab in the center and lock it down.

Then, take your boat up to your normal cruise, engine rpm and engine trim setting. Then, loosen your grip on the steering wheel and see if the boat wants to go starboard or port. If it stays straight- great, you are set.
If it goes in one direction or the other, make note of the steering direction.

Then, stop the boat, and move the tab to full starboard, or full port and lock it down.

Then, repeat the test and note of the steering direction when you loosen your grip on the wheel.

Then, stop the boat and put the tab to the full opposite direction from the first setting and repeat the test.

Now, you know that for your desired cruise setting, the torque steer amount and direction of full port, center and full starboard setting of the trim tab.

Now, that you have that information, you should be able to dial in the tab in one or two more runs.

Now that you have the trim tab dialed in and if you have a conventional steered boat -i.e. with a single steering tube cable steering, you will have neutral steering at your normal cruise settings.

Of course, if you go slower, faster, just start, or have the engine trim in a different position, the boat will torque steer in one direction or another.

If you have hydraulic steering, most folks either leave the steering tab off of the motor, or just leave it in the center of the motor.

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: