The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Trim Tab Operation
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Trim Tab Operation Reply with quote

Well, here's a topic that'll either die quickly or get a few answers. I'm hoping for the latter.

The question is "how do YOU use trim tabs on YOUR C-Dory"?

All C-Dory 25's and Ventures come standard with trim tabs. I hope to find out how C-Brats use their trim tabs: when, how much and any other comment.

I come from the sailing world, where there are no trim tabs and I've been trying to figure them out ever since. First, note that the C-Dory is a flat bottom boat, not a v-hull. So, I'll put the tabs down to get up on plane and leave then down to ~15 (or more) knts. Then I'll pull them up a little unless I'm trying to go really fast, when they come up all the way. So, I try to keep the bow down. I also use them to balance the boat side-to-side, depending on how it's loaded (and how much Judy yells.)

I watched the BoatUS videos on trimming a boat, then search for "trim". A video on engine trim and one on trim tab operation. Both done using a center console, v-hull with 400 hp, 2 ea Yamahas. The message was that you could get your boat up on trim with the motor trimmed in and then adjust the pitch up of the boat so that most of it was out of the water using motor trim out. Trim the engine in until the boat is stable. The trim tab video explained how to trim the boat side-to-side, no mention on getting the boat up on plane. So, those videos didn't seem to apply to a C-Dory.

Well, a C-Dory 25 doesn't have that hull or that horsepower, so I was wondering how to trim a C-Dory with tabs. Do you trim up as soon as the boat is on plane? Do you let the bow come up for easier riding and more mileage?

Post how you operate the tabs on your boat and let all of us learn.

Boris[/b]
BRAZO

City/Region: Full-time Travel
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meyer Meyer
Photos: BRAZO
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have trim tabs and Permatrims (twin Honda's) on our CD22. The only time we use the trim tabs is if the water is very bumpy. But we trim the boat with the Permatrims. I continually trim as I can do it with my hand on the throttle. As I'm coming up on plane I'll trim the motors just by feel and then once on plane I'll find the balance between the nice smooth ride and the best speed/gph. Most of the time I use the Permatrims to balance the boat side to side.

This probably doesn't answer your question - but when we are on plane I find that I'm continually trimming the boat based on conditions - trying to maximize speed to comfort. The trim tabs are much harder to get the boat trimmed - along with the fact that the trim tab control is not on the throttle.

1TUBERIDER

City/Region: Crescent City
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Journey on

I use my motor trim to bring bow down or up and my tabs to remove list when
running.

Since I prefer to have a balanced load, I will move passengers around if they are the problem. I also mostly boat in the ocean where nothing is level anyway for long. There I make sure my tabs and motor trim are up when short steep following sea state to keep from bow steering and when really ugly not much way.

When I ran a white water racer jet boat the nozzle would raise and lower the hull. With the high horsepower you needed to hold the bow down until you got up and planing then raise the hull until it got squirrelly. Bow down for control when rough and bow up for speed.

You might look into an auto leveling tab setup and let it do the work for you.

Just be sure you know how to raise and lower them as the controls are reflecting
bow position wanted and not tab position. You really do not want the tabs down on a steep following sea.

I really don't use the tabs much. I use my motor trim the most for raising and lowering bow. I prefer to balance my load on the boat and not have the tabs compensate for an out of balance condition.

Hope this helps or opens discussion.

helm

City/Region: Medford
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Chack Chack
Photos: Chack Chack
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Boris
We do exactly what you described - engine down, trim tabs 100%, then after we are planning bring the trim tabs up for best boat speed at chosen RPM.
Typically we will still be running with tabs at 60% and 40% up to 20 knots, then less as speed goes up.
Trimming the engine up past 50% usually results in a loss of hull speed.
In the chop we are usually all in on the trim to keep the bow in and minimize pounding.
Saying that we are raising our engine next week one notch and considering a four blade prop for stern lift as we are stern heavy with our DF 200, a kcker, water tank and 3 batteries all aft. Hopefully those changes would allow us to use less trim and increase fuel economy.
Best
Eric

Finished the Great Loop July 7, 2011
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are on our 3rd year with our 22 and just starting to get the hang of the trim tabs and feeling like we have it figured out.

Our boat has twin Hondas and no permatrims, and bennet trim tabs. For the first 2 years, we would get the bow down by trimming the motors up, and always had the trim tabs down all the way. Our boat runs smoothest through the chop with the tabs pushing the bow all the way down. To adjust from side to side, I would make the dog (175 lb mastiff) move from one side of the boat or the other! Twisted Evil

Well finally this season I have these trim tabs figured out. It's still rare that I don't have them trimmed all the way down, unless were in ocean swells in a following sea when they are trimmed all the way up. Now I'm not concerned about balancing the weight in the boat and am using them to correct a list at speed. Also, I adjust the trim to compensate when we are taking waves at an angle or from the side. The trimming the boat as we travel with a beam sea really seems to smooth out the ride. I'm pretty sold on these tabs now that I've had some time to figure them out. And our dog is much happier as well!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a difference between how I used the tabs on the 25 and 22. The 25 was underpowered with the 130 Honda, so I had to keep a fair amount of trim tab down, except when in following seas. The motor was usually trimmed in and then leveled as we got on a plane.

With the 22, we leave the tabs about level with the bottom of the boat, and the motor trimmed slightly one, until the boat is on a plane. Then we adjust the boat side to side with the trim tabs, and trim for sea state with the outboard. If it is extreme chop, then we trim the dow down, with both the motor (came with a Doel Fin), and the trim tabs.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 22' I run the motor most of the way in and about 60-80% tab to get the ride where I want it.

Depending on the load I usually have one tab out more than the other to get the lateral trim right.

I adjust the trim with the tabs and not much with the motor. The tabs seem to have a much bigger effect on the trim than the motor position. I don't have a Permatrim.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulNBriannaLynn wrote:
For the first 2 years, we would get the bow down by trimming the motors up....

Wouldn't trimming the motors up, push the bow up???
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my CD-22, (and also an earlier Searay 268 Sundancer), I use the trim tabs to "level" or "balance" the list of the boat. With the small beam of the boats, it doesn't take much to cause a list. Even the wind has some effect. I'll also use the trim tabs to help get the boat up on plane faster, especially with a lot of weight in the cockpit, or if I want to cruise a little slower. I use the single outboard trim more to get the best speed for rpm (fuel flow) and depending upon chop of the water. More nose down to provide a little smoother ride. Also to lower the bow for better visibility. When using the trim tabs just for list correction, I tend to not use any more than necessary to level the boat's list. (Otherwise, more drag in the water.) Under normal conditions, I tend to run my engine trim just below the half way point. (Probably means nothing, other than a mark on my trim gauge.) Choppier water might require a little more down trim on the engine. Thinking about it, basically I have the engine trimmed down just a bit past cavitation/slippage. I should also note, at slower speeds, coming into a dock, etc, I have a lot more control of the boat, particularly going into reverse, with the engine in the lower half of it's trim, and with water depth available, will leave it down. Colby
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search. There is lots of info here already.

Use trim tabs to adjust your bow trim. trim the bow up in a following sea, and down into waves. If you are riding swells where you will have a bit of a run down the back of the wave, keep the bow up even though you ma be going into them,

Use trim tabs to accommodate any list, however first try to balance your load, as you will always be adjusting this as you change speeds, turn, etc.
DrewbirdII

City/Region: fanny bay
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Drewbird II
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:12 am    Post subject: trim tabs Reply with quote

I usually travel with a large 150 lt cooler full of ice when fishing on the west coast with down riggers, cannon balls, 55gal of fuel etc. All the stuff required for a weekend for two. On my old Honda I use to apply the trim tabs and the motor all the way down to get on plane and then raise the tabs to about half way, and the motor up a bit to find the best milage at about 16 kn.s The cooler was moved to one side to balance the weight of water and fuel as required and worked great, no fuss. On good trips the cooler never got lighter. The only issue I had was on a following sea remembering to raise the tabs and a swim grid up, they would get shoved and kick you sideways a bit under big swells. Very unnerving

Jim.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need trim tabs down to get your boat on plane, you are
underpowered. Some tab down can help getting on plane.

The primary purposes of trim tabs are to lower the bow and adjust
lateral roll.

BOTH TRIM TABS DOWN: (once on plane)
1. raises the stern, lowers the bow
2. the amount of 'down' on the tabs depends on
a. how your boat is loaded; stern or bow heavy, even load?
b. the ride; adjust to comfort
1) bow digging in; too much trim tab down
2) excess vertical bow movement (Embarassed); too little trim tab
c. your course and sea state;
1) heading into larger seas; adjust bow (trim tabs) down to comfort
2) heading down larger seas; keep trim tabs up
d. engine tilt
1) efficient running w/engine tilted up but bow flopping; tabs down
to comfort and steady ride
2) this requires experimentation for a specific boat
e. how much fuel you want to burn
1) anytime you have trim tabs down too much, you burn Xtra fuel (drag)
2) best efficiency is to adjust ride with engine tilt and trim tabs

ONE TRIM TAB DOWN
a. stbd trim tab down raises stbd stern to correct
1) heavy stbd boat loading
2) port roll (digging) from heavy port side cross wind
b. port trim tab down raises port stern to correct reverse of above

NEUTRAL TRIM TABS
a. hard to determine w/o a trim tab indicator at helm
b. may be determined by getting engine tilt and trim tabs 'balanced'

TRIM TABS UP
a. when in heavy following seas
b. when hauling your boat

I always cringe when I see a boat underway bow digging, bow flopping, or
rolled to one side. But maybe it's just me.

Aye.

anchorout

City/Region: Lake Charles
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: EZ DUZIT
Photos: EZ DUZIT
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: trim tabs Reply with quote

A lot of info already. Everyone seem to have their own procedure. For myself, the most efficient way to run the engine is with the prop shaft parallel to the surface of the water, thereby thrust straight back with no drag on the motor fins. So I trim the motor so that the top of the hood is parallel to the surface of the water.

The tabs, I use to take the list out of the boat, left to right. Then with the tabs I trim the bow up or down depending on chop or waves. You can over trim the bow down and cause the boat to "waller" or dig in in the turns, so be cautious.

I go back and forth with motor trim, as a change in the trim tabs will affect the attack angle of the prop. The end results, for me, is to have the motor level.

Leon

City/Region: Terrace
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea Nile
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trimming your boat out means two things, one, the least amount of drag in the water so you get the most out of your fuel, and two, a smooth or stand able ride. Bring your boat up on plane, set the throttle, wait a bit till your boat is up to speed. Now watch both your speed and engine rpm. Your prop should be running parallel to the bottom of your boat, and in best conditions your trim tabs will be all the way up. By making tiny adjustments to your trim tabs and power trim you should see an increase or decrease in either or both rpm and speed. You want the increase without touching your throttle. You can level the boat out using the trim tabs, by watching your speed and rpm, you will see if your loosing speed, you can also shuffle some weight around. This take a bit of practice.......but once mastered for your boat you do it with out much thought This also has a bit of listen and feel when your trimming it out.
cbgale

City/Region: Calumet
Vessel Name: Raton
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With your trim tabs down, drag increases and your mileage will also decrease. In some sea conditions this is unavoidable if you wish to make reasonable headway. I use my "move-able ballast" such as coolers, tools, and spouse to load so that no trim tabs are needed, assuming no sea conditions which would necessitate their use, and the engines can remain in their neutral positions. I use the engine tilt/trim to trim out once on plane, and try to keep this as close to neutral as possible. Initially with full fuel I have to keep some down trim on the engines to keep an ideal planing position, but after about half the fuel is used I can generally move the engines to their neutral positions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: