View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis Meyer

City/Region: Kitimat
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C Monster
Photos: C Monster
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Wallas Loose Wire... Reply with quote

I knocked loose a black wire from the underside of my Wallas stove... It's still bolted on to the protruding metal box under the unit, but the other end is loose. It has a female paddle-type connector on it, and looks like it should slide on to a tab on the green circuit board... But I can't find one! The unit doesn't seem to have power now that I've knocked the wire off. No lights, no noises. Can anyone review the attached photo and give me some advice, or perhaps post a photo of the wiring on their Wallas?

Thanks!
Dennis Meyer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: Wallas Image... Reply with quote

Sorry- here is the photo. The wire in question is hanging down towards the bottom of the photo. Help!

Dennis

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis-

Here's my thoughts, but don't act on them, as I'm only guessing, but can't help myself from wanting to make a reasonable guess.

It's black, and grounded to the protruding metal box on the Wallas central unit where it originates, right?

Since it's black, it is negative*, by convention, and grounded, in this case. 12v, negative ground. (*Old school rules.)

The switch, or whatever it is, at the top of the photo with the two black wires going into it and the white extra insulation has a metal tab sticking out from it, right?

I'm guessing that the first black wire is a ground wire to connect the central panel to the second panel where the switch is located. Thus it is an affirmative or positive ground connection, the ground being of negative polarity.

Notice that the two panels are insulated from each other by adhesive in much of what can be seen.

Check the tab and see if there are any slide marks on it that would indicate the female connector on the black wire has been attached there.

Caution: This is only a guess. A Wallas owner or technician should give you a positive identification and connection verification based on an existing unit or their own knowledge.

Good Luck!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:34 am; edited 1 time in total
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my first trip out I had a similar problem - the wallas would do nothing. I looked under and found a wire loose like yours. It was the ground wire. Unlike your situation I could see where it came loose from so just plugged it back on after squeezing the connector to be a little tighter.

I can not see from your picture if yours is the same problem. On mine I think the ground connection was very close to the positive red wire. You could try measuring with a meter to see if the loose wire has any voltage with the power on. Look closely in the area the wire could reach to see if there is an empty lug. Of course you take your chances if you don't know for sure where it goes. Good luck.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which model? I will look for schematic
Dennis Meyer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the 85DU on the Wallas website. Two burners with the blower lid.

Thanks for the support, all!

Dennis
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have my Wallas any more (another C-Brat does), but I just looked at a photo I had taken of it when I was looking at my boat prior to buying. It's a Wallas 95. If your Wallas is original, and your boat is a 2003, I would think it would be a 95 as well.

Here is the photo of my "Wallas guts." I can see the black (dark greyish looking in my photo) wire you are speaking of starting on the upper left in my photo - it loops upward then starts back down. If you follow it down and to the right, it looks like it goes into a whitish wire tie, past a blue "cube," then loops around past a red/black pair, and *looks* like it terminates near the aft (right in photo) side of that white plastic plug that has another red/black pair going into it (I zoomed in on the original to see this). I put two small orangish arrows there. Does this give you a clue? Maybe if you bring the loose wire end up to this area (which I can see exists on your stove too), it will fall naturally there and you can see where it connects (maybe just aft/right of that white plug). Sometimes wires are "happy" to go back to where they were, once you have the general location, since they sort of mold to shape over time.

Chris

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Rana Verde
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boards on the Wallas vary a bunch...but that black wire is a ground and you should find a spade next to the two main power wires...Sunbeam's pic gives a good indication of where the spade is. The two large red and black wires are the main power connection...and you should find a vacant spade next to them. You may want to gently crush your connector a bit to tighten it so that it stays put once you put it back on the spade.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't find a schematic and since the stove is expensive, I would call Scan Marine

If you do, ask them to email a copy of it and post itin The Library Section next to the manual
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Wallis stove is complicated and expensive. Though the advice above is knowledgeable and rational, I'd call Scan Marine just to make sure. In my experience, they try to be helpful. (206) 285-3675.

Boris
Dennis Meyer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:07 am    Post subject: Success!!! Reply with quote

I followed Sunbeam and Chris' suggestion, placed the wire as in the photo, replaced the 2A fuse, and the unit is as good as new. Thank you all for the support!!! Very Happy

Dennis
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, glad it worked out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: