View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blueback

City/Region: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Blueback
Photos: Blueback
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Blueback after Pic posting Reply with quote

Later on a write a clear post explaining why I believe the instructions to post photos could be a tad improved on - for us mere mortals born in the dark ages "BC" -- before computers

3-Work at rebuilding the endangered runs of salmonids on the West Coast
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you appear to have it down now. One thing though - if the image is larger than about 1024pixels wide, it will exceed the width of many people's monitor and all subsequent posts will have their text wrap at the width of the image. That's why on a few posts on the site with either large images or very long URLs, you have to continually scroll left and right to read the posts (while simultaneously scrolling down). This is a bug of the somewhat older software that is currently being used to run the site and someday, I'm sure Bill will upgrade it. But for now, wide images and long URL's make it difficult to read the threads in which they are embedded.
Blueback

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
Well you appear to have it down now. One thing though - if the image is larger than about 1024pixels wide, it will exceed the width of many people's monitor and all subsequent posts will have their text wrap at the width of the image. That's why on a few posts on the site with either large images or very long URLs, you have to continually scroll left and right to read the posts (while simultaneously scrolling down). This is a bug of the somewhat older software that is currently being used to run the site and someday, I'm sure Bill will upgrade it. But for now, wide images and long URL's make it difficult to read the threads in which they are embedded.

Roger-
I appreciate your insight re: long URLs
However- many fellow posters of pic will no doubt say --well we understand your 1024 pixel wide limit-- how do you control that is - I suspect the64 dollar question?
I hunted thru Google question -answer board to no avail. The bingo the Photo + Google web site I use "now" to post up my pictures has the answer for my my posting in access to 1024 pixel dilemma.
Once you on the site with you pictures - look in the left hand corner and click Google Photo which will give you a drop down box of options. At the bottom click on settings. The new box will have this option;
Show geo location by default on newly shared albums. You can change the setting per album. Learn more
Allow viewers to download my photos and videos.
Don’t feature my publicly-shared Google+ photos as background images on Google products & services.Learn more
Find my face in photos and videos and prompt people I know to tag me. Learn more
Upload my photos at full size.
Storage used: 6.63 GB (44.22%) of 15 GB.
Buy more storage
Turning on full size uploads will slow down your uploads. Turn it off
Or -Unclick upload my photos at full size and we will feel like successful Brats.
Is this making sense to anyone--LOL
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to deal with posting large images to web forums (or putting them in email etc) is to use a program that will resize them. There are a number of options for that but I must admit I'm no longer that familiar with the Windows side of the world. On a mac, one can resize photos with in iPhoto or Preview (both of which come free with the operating system). On a PC, the windows live photo gallery or Paint (or many other applications) will let you resize an image.
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blueback,

A convenient, free, and powerful photo editor, which likely will run on your platform is this one: http://www.irfanview.com/ It has been around for a long time, and probably does more than you need right now, but you don't have to master every feature to make useof it.

Instead of several programs, irfanview will allow you to use one to take care of all the editing needs you might have.

Tell us what version of Windows you have, if you are using a PC. If not, please specify what you are using, and the version of the operating system. Someone should be able to point you at a free program to handle your needs.

smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this:

http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/releases/view/30247

There is both a 32-bit and 64-bit version; it works on all versions of Windows; and it is very easy and safe to use. It adds a right click menu item (called "Resize Pictures") for any image file. Very simple, very effective, very safe.

Last edited by smckean (Tosca) on Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blueback

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AstoriaDave wrote:
Blueback,

A convenient, free, and powerful photo editor, which likely will run on your platform is this one: http://www.irfanview.com/ It has been around for a long time, and probably does more than you need right now, but you don't have to master every feature to make useof it.

Instead of several programs, irfanview will allow you to use one to take care of all the editing needs you might have.

Tell us what version of Windows you have, if you are using a PC. If not, please specify what you are using, and the version of the operating system. Someone should be able to point you at a free program to handle your needs.

To answer your question Dave --I am a PC Windows 8.1

Thanks for the help here
Geoff
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff,

Click on What is Irfanview. Looks like it should run. OTOH, the solution Tosca suggested focuses on resizing, and won't encumber you with all the other things Irfanview does.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When using Windows, I use 3 tools often

1.Image resizer accessed from right mouse button click
2. Picasa
3. Photoshop Elements

fro WIn 8 see
hhttp://www.technobuzz.net/best-image-resizer-app-for-windows-8/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: