The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Suggestions for Marina and Park stay places, SE Vancouver Is

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Suggestions for Marina and Park stay places, SE Vancouver Is Reply with quote

Looking for suggestions for marina and park stay places on the SE Vancouver Island coast from Mill Bay up to Naniamo for an early spring trip. I am thinking of basing close to Ladysmith and exploring around the Gulf Islands from there. I’m looking to stay in the more protected waters on the west side of Georgia Strait, approaching from the south, Sidney and west side of Salt Spring Island.

I have been reading in Waggoner’s and in Fine Edge, Douglass’ San Juan and Gulf Islands cruising guides. Now I’m looking for personal favorites, local knowledge hints, and spots to hit or avoid.

Thanks to all. I know there are many who have been in this area, and have more recent experience. I grew up in Sidney, but have not been past there on my boat yet.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

timflan

City/Region: Seattle
Vessel Name: Two Lucky Fish +1
Photos: Two Lucky Fish
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were really taken with Ladysmith. Great facilities, very reasonable prices. Bakery up the hill is awesome. Mining history in town.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harvey,

Joan and I have enjoyed spending a night or three at Chemainus (not far from Ladysmith). There are many interesting murals on buildings throughout the town. Good restaurants. Several good ice cream places. A good bakery near the marina. When we were there last, their local theater was doing a preview of a new production - very well done.

Montague Harbour (Galiano Island) is an interesting place to anchor. Dinghy into the dock at the marina and take the hippie bus to the Hummingbird Pub. Nice park. There is a marina there, if you don't want to anchor.

I guess I didn't ask, but I assume you are talking about traveling by boat, not by car, right?

Best wishes,
Jim
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harvey Ladysmith Maritime society has a good launch ramp and great docks and easy town acces Well worth a day or two We like to anchor in behind the first Island on the right about a half way into town also for a quiet spot. Seattle YC has an out station and we anchor nearby in the shallows Pretty spot with a native village across the way.
Chemainus is now a good stop 10 years back no. Now good docks, clean and easy walk to town Great logging, mining history, arts and murals, nice overnight.
Thetis Island has 2 marinas as well as The Cut marina has good pub and cafe Nice island for country walks, take the dory thru The Cut at high water that cuts thru to Clam Bay

Over at Wallace Island we like both Conover Cove docks and anchoage and the western anchorage of Princess Cove No facilities, old homestead, hiking, very quiet.
Ganges we like for a few days to 2 weeks, great docks next to the Coast Guard, right in the village, artsy, rustic, very fun, friendly place, Great cafes and eateries, galleries and most days music is found by local artists.
Pirates Cove is a favorite over at De Courcey Nice quiet anchoarage Walks in the woods.
I've come to see that Gabriola anchorages are way to crowded with derelicts, but there are hidy holes one can anchor in in nearby small islets. Enjoy your trip Hopefully we can get to see you
George
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey,

The bases have been covered by others pretty well. Just a couple notes.

+1 On Ladysmith as a fine early season base. Decent access to groceries, etc, nonethanol nontaxed fuel N on 17 a bit, good moorage rates for overnighters at the floats near the ramp. Ramp good, although parking a trailer and vehicle there overnight is a bit sketchy if that is your plan. Very friendly town. If the Greek restaurant on 17 is still in business, don't miss it!

Chemainus was a difficult tieup the day I tried it in August, but early should be fine.

Have not run the cut between Thetis and Penelakut in a power boat, but it is well marked. East side is clam flats wth a narrow channel, quite a ways. Somewhat sheltered anchorage on Tent Island, but the cove at Wallace is better.

We have friends with a cabin at Montague, so stayed there, tied to their float. Decent access to groceries, fuel. The latter hectic in August. I think the cinnamon bun bakery is gone.

Ganges is a shoppers paradise, with good restaurants and a killer book store. Too busy for my tastes, but definitely the hot spot on Saltspring.

Quiet anchorage in the bay at the NE corner of Prevost. Dinghy ashore And walk trails at the camp spot for paddlecraft.

We liked the marina in Silva Bay, and paid the tariff for a night. And running Gabriola Passage is a lot of fun.

Newcastle was a special place for us, with cool history and tons of trails to walk.

Guess that is actually a lot of stuff. You have selected a terrific early season cruising area.

Oh, yeah, we ran False Dodd Narrows and found it doable midtide, running a shallow draft 20 footer. The main Narrows was a piece of cake, both times we ran it.

hardee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, this is great. George, hope to get to see you and Carolyn. Also hope to see some other C-Dory's along the way.

Yes, I will be on the boat providing I can get across Juan de Fuca Strait.

From the books, both Dodd Narrows and False Narrows look intimidating.

Ladysmith was picked because it is looks fairly central to go out and back from.

Thanks for the tips on the bakeries and the ice cream store. (Oh and I need to remember to refill my Wallas tank -- incase I decide to fry the ice cream Laughing

Anybody with Ports and Passes know if it covers this area; and the tide and current info for places like Dodd.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ports and Passes covers all of BC - best and easiest to read source I know of for BC currents. Dodd narrows can be a snap - we've gone through with and against 4-6 knots. Small boats can easily pass in opposite directions when it's running fairly slow and smooth. Look out for tows or other major traffic coming through from the other side - the dog-leg makes it hard to see, so be prepared to back off if you get started and then see traffic heading toward you. Sometimes wind against current can make for standing waves.

Some notes from our BC anchorages list. Page numbers are from the Douglass BC south coast guide, 2nd edition:

Tod Inlet 48 Handy for Butchart Gardens

Reef Harbour, Tumbo/Cabbage Island 53-4 Cabbage Island at low tide - beautiful

Boot Cove 65 A lot of civilization, but good protection

Winter Cove 66-8 Be careful of shallows. Nice walk to Boat Passage.

James Bay 85 Nice hike. Avoid W/NW wind. Shoals rapidly at head. Ferry wake.

Annette Inlet 87 Traditional favorite, beautiful sunsets.

Long Harbour 89 A lot of civilization, but good protection. Some ferry wake

Ganges Harbour 91 Good provisioning stop

Montague Harbour 108 Lots of boats

Conover Cove, Wallace Island 114 Very shallow at low tides. Nice walks

Clam Bay 117 Neat dinghy passage through the Cut to Telegraph Harbour

Telegraph Harbour 131 Can be an anchorage

North Cove 139 Good in S/SE wind

Pirate's Cove 147-8 Enter carefully. Nice walks

Degnen Bay 152-3 Not much room, but cute and protected

Silva Bay 154-6 Lots of room, good staging for crossing Strait of Georgia

Mark Bay, Nanaimo 165 Lots of room, nice walks

Cindy Sea (CD 22 Cruiser, from 1991 to 1998)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
blackfish

City/Region: saltair
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: raincoast
Photos: Raincoast
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great suggestions from everyone. I second Wallace island if your looking for a marine park close to Ladysmith, hard to beat and as astoriadave suggests anchor at chivers point if conover cove is busy or even if it isn't.
Just watch out for the speed bumps Laughing
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Printed to go in my Douglas book.

Thanks everyone. Will be lookinng forward to checking these out.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

chimoii

C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Chimo
Photos: Chimo
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me add a couple. You said you were heading up from the Sidney area. Don't forget Cowichan Bay for some neat little stores and stuff. Maybe cross to Genoa Bay for the night. A great anchorage and dinghy to the marina for dinner or simply tie up there. A neat spot.

If you are doing the Penders then Poets Cove in Bedwell Bay is overrated. Go through the canal to Port Browning. A bit tired as a marina but super friendly with a great restaurant and bar. Let me know if you want more.

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, you will love it up there! Dodd Narrows is really only intimidating if you have a 6 knot boat - it is pretty easy in a C-Dory. We have done it numerous times. It is customary to call a securite as you enter either end. We love the dock at Newcastle Island when we go to Nanaimo, and we like to dinghy over to the city for a good walk and Nanaimo Bars!

People have given you good advice about the best places. We generally prefer provincial marine parks over towns, but Ladysmith is really cool. For the other places, it really helps if you like to anchor and have a dinghy.

A great first night's stop is Todd Inlet, with a dingy over to the Butchart Gardens dock. We did this with Jan on C-Change, Garry and Vicki Anderson (on Ranger Tug Amy Marie) and Bill and Dorothy (don't remember boat name, they had come by car), great fun!

We would also suggest stopping for a night at Cabbage Island (grab a mooring buoy there, the current can run a bit at Cabbage Island) and another night at Winter Cove. Both are beautiful spots. Both are Saturna Island, check your guide books!

Montague Harbour should involve taking the hippy bus to the Hummingbird Pub for a burger and a beer (or your beverage of choice, I recall you don't do beer). The hippy bus is much tamer now than it used to be but you still get all Fats Domino all the time! Conover Cove at Wallace island is a favorite, read up on its history. The resort for Hollywood stars that never was. There is a little shelter there where people hang driftwood with their boat names - there are two driftwood pieces there for Daydream! Pirates Cove on De Courcy is another favorite, this is a stern tie so be prepared!

Depending on your available time, a run up to Princess Louisa Inlet is absolutely worth it, we never tire of it! Before heading up to PLI and again on the way back down we like to anchor for a night in the inner pool at Smugglers Cove. I always hum the Ian Tyson tune "Last Night I Dreamed of Smugglers Cove"!

But why stop there? You are just a hop, skip and jump from Desolation Sound! That is really paradise! ALL the provincial marine parks are great, or maybe it is one big park, I really don't. I don't know a better place to explore so many great marine parks, this is really the cat's meow!

Anyway, enjoy!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

C-jeep

City/Region: Maple Bay
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Jeep
Photos: C-Jeep
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are in the area visit Maple Bay Marina and head through Sansum Narrows to Genoa Bay which has an excellent restaurant. Then a little 20 minute cruise across to the scenic little fishing ( and tourist) village of Cowichan Bay. These are all a day trip out of Ladysmith. If you want to overnight the Southern Gulf Islands all have beautiful cruising.
Have Fun
Chris

hardee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really great cruising area, and there is some really good food to be had. Had a great time and got to see some neat places and wonderful folks. More later. Just didn't have time to do the whole cruise Pat. More of that next time too.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SleepyC trip is written up in the Grand adventures forum here:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?p=277848#277848

Enjoy, and comment if you wish.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: