The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

08/29 - 10/01 - Grand Slam Western Lakes 2015
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jack keifer

City/Region: Boise
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Squirt
Photos: C-Squirt
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Grand Slam Western Lakes Reply with quote

Chris, sorry to hear your not going to be able to make it. We are planning to go on as we have lodging reservations on the 29th and the 1st with 2 nights on our 16 in between. So we hope a few show up. We have had a C-Dory for 15 years but never have been on group gathering and are looking forward to meeting a few of you.
Jack

RobMcClain

City/Region: Summerlin, NV
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're very sorry to hear events preclude your participation Chris. Hope all is well in general.

As for our plans, we are still planning on making the trek. We have no knowledge of the lakes or parks in general so will combine cruising with hiking and general tourist sightseeing. Like Jack, we will also probably enjoy a night or two in a lodge here and there.

Jack, i'm not sure of our timing but will post more here once we know better. Hopefully we will see you at the lake(s).

Rob
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

Powell just won't be the same without you and Rana Verde. But you've been so generous with your knowledge at past gatherings, more than a few C-Brats should be able to help show new folks the ropes. We will still miss you though! I mean, no beach "surrey" with a fringe on top?! And no world's cleanest 22 Cruiser to aspire to?

Sunbeam
maryvmcclain

City/Region: Summerlin
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, I'm really sorry to hear you can't come to any of these planned events.. Your leadership over the years has been really appreciated. I hope your time frees up and you are able to boat at least a little this summer. You will be missed. We will attempt to do the grand slam on our I bet we miss alota lot without your experience
jlastofka

City/Region: Vista
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Bossa Nova
Photos: Bossa Nova
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Lost our fearless leader Reply with quote

Well, I've been thinking about the trip since Chris' announcement. Weighing the travel distance and time against some other opportunities. Not quite sure yet, but I'm thinking I might not do this one. I've met several of the people before and enjoyed cruising with them, but Chris and Teri were a strong factor for being interested. I wonder how many are still going?

A friend of mine was recently at Yellowstone and he said there's lots of water.

-Jeff
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having done the lakes in this "Grand Slam," each is unique and a great experience. It would be a wonderful cruising experience. This forum has members who are "home" in each of the areas - instead of one person doing all the work of leading a group, consider taking turns or having the "local knowledge" person guide during that portion.

It really is a "not to be missed" experience.

We did Lake Powell with a group once, and several times on our own. The other lakes we did on our own. A leader can make the experience less intimidating at first, but there is plenty of info on each area on this forum and various other places on the net... a bit of brushing up, and you can have the "inside information."

Hope the trip still happens. Have fun!

Jim
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, for whatever reason you are not able to come -- Sorry. I know you will be missed. I am looking at this as my first time on the lake and really looking forward to meeting you and tapping in on your guide services. Your reputation has preceded you a ways away. I have enjoyed following vicariously on the previous trips.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I think this is also doubling as the Powell gathering thread (because it's at the end of the Grand Slam), I'll just post what I'm planning (subject to whims of universe). I won't be doing the "upper" Grand Slam, but I am planning on going to Powell. I'd like to spend somewhere between two and four weeks. That may depend somewhat on if there are other Brats to meet up with. I was solo last year and after a couple of weeks was feeling a bit soloed-out, although other than that could easily have stayed longer (then I tried to whack my finger off so that settled that and I had to pull out anyway).

My hope/thought is that many of us know the basic ropes on Powell (many, myself included, thanks to Chris and Rana Verde), and so why don't we just carry on and meet up at the planned place and time as usual (Oak Bay, Saturday night potluck, Sept 19th, is I believe the date/time). I imagine there will be plenty of C-Brats who have been on Powell before so that if there are any new folks there who want some guidance it will all work out. In past years it seemed that the potluck on Saturday was the main thing, and after that some folks would do the "guided tour" with Chris and others would split off to do other things, with perhaps additional meet-ups down the line (although it's good to pre-plan a little bit as VHF is very spotty).

So in summary, I plan to do Powell, and likely for longer than a week. So far my one planned date is the Oak Bay Saturday night potluck, September 19.

(Note that many people arrive early at Oak Bay, and some stay later as it is a great place to hang out and relax or do other things (kayaking, etc.)
Montana Kev

City/Region: Bozeman/Yellowstone
State or Province: MT
Vessel Name: Grace
Photos: Grace
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding - Yellowstone Lake Gathering, Saturday August 29th. I was hoping to get an updated count to see how many plan on being at Yellowstone Lake for the gathering.

By the way, Park attendance is up almost 25% but the marina has been pretty tranquil this year, lots of empty slips... take your pick. Auto traffic will drop off closer toward the end of August as school starts back for many.

It has been cool at night on YSL and they expect some snow in the higher elevations over the next couple of days. Electric heaters are nice to have when at the dock.

See everyone in a few weeks.

Kevin
jack keifer

City/Region: Boise
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Squirt
Photos: C-Squirt
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: grand slam Reply with quote

Kevin,
We are planning to come from Boise for several days. Our schedule is:

Friday, Aug 28 - Depart Boise and travel to Island Park area and overnight.

Saturday the 29th - Travel through W Yellowstone into the Park and stay at the Lake Lodge Cabins. We plan to arrive soon enough to get all the launch paperwork done on Saturday, and maybe launch that day, if not, do it the next morning.

Sunday and Monday nights will be on the boat. When I called the marina the lady insisted on assigning a slip, so we are in C-8.

Tuesday the 1st - late in the afternoon retrieve the boat and overnight in W. Yellowstone.

Maybe fish Henry's Lake on the way home and be home no later than Thursday night.

Since we have downsized the prop to compensate for the altitude and have some lodging reservations, we are coming. Looking forward to meeting you. Last time we were there, and it was some years ago, we had a good time catching cuts, but I can't remember if it is barbless hooks. It was then and probably still is catch & release. Do you know the rules?
Jack
RobMcClain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary and I have been tweaking our plan for this trip.   We will be arriving at Bridge Bay Marina late morning on Thursday, August 27.  We'll launch and then dock the boat in a guest slip at the marina.  We are looking forward to seeing other Brats that weekend. We've actually booked our slip until September 7th. Because we have never been in that area, nor investigated any of the National Parks, we will use the boat as our floating home and also do some land-based exploring.   Instead of towing down to Jackson Lake the following weekend, we plan to drive over to the Black Hills in South Dakota to see Mount Rushmore and a few other sites.   Then we'll drive back to the boat at Bridge Bay and pull it, headed down towards Flaming Gorge Reservoir with a land stop in the area of Jackson Hole.  We plan to be back on the water at Flaming Gorge for the weekend of September 11/13.   After some cruising there we'll visit some friends in Utah and then tow down to Wahweap Marina at Lake Powell where we'll launch,  probably on Thursday, September 17.  We'll stay in the marina that night and then cruise up to the Oak Canyon meet-up site on Friday.   I suspect we'll be on the lake for about 7-9 days before heading back to Wahweap.   We hope to combine a mix of relaxing with some cruising to a few different locations.   Since we've only been on the lake once before we hope to enjoy the cruising with other Brats.   

Rob
Montana Kev

City/Region: Bozeman/Yellowstone
State or Province: MT
Vessel Name: Grace
Photos: Grace
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellowstone Lake Gathering, Saturday August 29th... Jack, Rob, nice to see you will be at YSL. I think you are the only two I have seen commit to Yellowstone on this thread. I believe Jody/Voyager and Jay&Jolee/Hunkydory will be at Yellowstone and we have one more Montana C-Dory that may attend. So, we have a count of 6 for Yellowstone so far. See you in a few weeks.

Kevin
RobMcClain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good Kevin! We are really looking forward to this trip and are still on track to arrive at Bridge Bay Marina on Thursday, August 27. The weather looks a bit cooler than here in the Las Vegas Valley and we are looking forward to that. Yes, we are bringing a heater and appropriate clothing....

Rob (& Mary) Very Happy
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack yes barbless hooks, no bait, no lead. You can get a full list of all Yellowstone rules here http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/upload/14FishReg.pdf

maryvmcclain

City/Region: Summerlin
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're so looking forward to this grand slam trip.. By ourselves or hopefully with other Brats. We do hope to meet up at Oak Canyon for our pot luck assuming the toxic spill is dissipated.

So here is my question which primarily relates to Yellowstone.. What's to prevent bears and or raccoons from trying to tear into a boat at the marina? I'm sure they all know there is food aboard. People =picanick baskets. We will be leaving the boat there to go explore the park.. And for a few days to drive to Mt Rushmore. Advice appreciated from Yellowstone veterans.

Oh and we are bringing the Frisbee for Lake Powell. Yes, I'm a wuss
Mary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: