The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

08/29 - 10/01 - Grand Slam Western Lakes 2015
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobMcClain

City/Region: Summerlin, NV
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are in Chris. Guess I better start reading up on the locations and doing a bit of Internet research. As you recommended, I read the writeup from El & Bill and that has provided a good foundation and motivation.

Rob Thumbs Up
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can probably make Yellowstone and Powell. Looks like we need a signup list.

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellowstone Lake. Pretty much a must to launch & gather at Bridge Bay Marina & a great spot for both with the campground also in close walking distance & great for any who would like to attend this gathering, but not bring there boat.

Jackson Lake. I would suggest launching at Colter Bay & then tour the lake in a group similar as has been done at Lake Powell. Unlike Yellowstone lake's anchorage restrictions, unless changed recently, Jackson Lake hasn't any, so there's several places a group could gather for nights, though the marinas are out, due to a long waiting list just for dock space for the season & none on a lesser time frame that I'm aware.

Flaming Gorge. Lucerne campground, boat launch & Marina is located a couple miles north of Manilla, Utah & has a multi lane boat launch & is located very close to the start of the gorge. I have always launched there, but with limited time on this water, I would defer to others more knowledgable for launch ect there.

Jay

RobMcClain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading up on the different state invasive species (AIS) related inspection requirements and they are confusing. Towing the boat from Washington, through Idaho to Wyoming, it appears we would need to stop for inspection just across the border into Idaho. Because it appears there aren't local inspection services at Yellowstone Lake or anyplace nearby the lake, and because Wyoming inspectors accept an inspection done in Idaho, as long as the boat is wire-tied to the trailer afterward, we could get the inspection done in Idaho and this should alleviate the need for a full inspection in Wyoming. Wyoming also requires the purchase of a nonresident AIS sticker for boating within their waters, but lakes controlled by the Federal government, such as Yellowstone, aren't covered by Wyoming State requirements so the AIS sticker isn't required there. It is for Flaming Gorge though, although launching at Lucerne Valley Marina is in Utah so unless we boat north into Montana waters the AIS sticker is still not necessary. Once across the Montana border it is though. While I know little about Flaming Gorge, it is my understanding that most of the beautiful rugged scenery is south from Lucerne so still in Utah. As for Utah, they have an AIS certification and inspection requirements and I just took a 40-minute test on the computer and was able to print a decontamination certificate for use, if need be. The certificate doesn't alleviate anything related to the inspection process, etc., but it shortens the paperwork requirements. Frankly, the relatively short computerized education program was a good education for me, but I have no idea if it was really necessary or not. It isn't for Lake Powell, but I am uncertain about Flaming Gorge so figured it was worth the time now. Based on the tentative itinerary, usually with only a few days between Flaming Gorge and Lake Powell we would need to get a professional decontamination done, but since Lake Powell is federal (and infested) it does not seem that is a legal requirement. Do I sound thoroughly confused yet?

Rob Crook
jkidd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the plan is to start in the northwest and go to Yellowstone then to Jackson Lake on to Flaming Gorge and then to Powell. You will need the Wyoming sticker for Jackson and Flaming Gorge (if you plan on doing the Wyoming side). You have to be inspected before you can launch at Yellowstone by a ranger. You will not need to be decontaminated any where. No requirements to launch at Lake Powell when you leave Lake Powell Utah DNR with put a sticker on the winch handle stating the boat has been contaminated water and needs to be decontaminated. Depending on your path through Idaho you might get stopped twice. I do coming from Utah.
jlastofka

City/Region: Vista
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Bossa Nova
Photos: Bossa Nova
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to seriously think about this trip. I missed the last one or two Lake Powell gatherings and was thinking about this year and then learned of this combined trip. It sounds great! I'm looking into arranging things with work, which I think I can do.

I'm hoping as the dates get closer that the water levels and other details are still looking good. Thanks for getting this idea going! Better to travel with some company than going alone the whole time.

-Jeff
jack keifer

City/Region: Boise
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Squirt
Photos: C-Squirt
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Grand Slam Reply with quote

We have not been on any Brat gatherings, so we are going to do this one even if we are the are the only ones there. The last time we were there (7 or 8 years ago) we had a 22, so staying on the boat worked well. Now we have a 16 cruiser, so the logistics become more interesting. Since it is about 450 miles from Boise to Bridge Bay, our thought was to stay in a cabin at Lake Lodge the first night and then launch early the next day. All the cabins at Lake Lodge are sold out for the entire time period. We were able to get one at Canyon on the 30th, so I booked it. So if any of you are looking for shore lodging for a night or two, you should probably look soon. I could not remember if they have shore power at Bridge Bay, the only marina on the lake unless something has changed in the past few years, so I called the 800 #, and lady who answered did not know what shore power is. However I found out that the marina will open June 15, and the direct # there is 307-242-3876. So that will be the place to get the details, and I believe reserve a slip. As I recall the last time there was a lot of paperwork, inspections, stickers to buy etc, and that was before invasive species was an issue. Since this marina is managed by the feds, my guess is they will inspect there. I'm guessing the Bozeman person can shed some light on all the procedures too. So we will launch on the morning of the 31st and spend 2 nights on the boat, retrieve late on Wednesday, start home to be back in Boise on Thursday night.
Jack

jkidd

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlastofka wrote:
I'm starting to seriously think about this trip. I missed the last one or two Lake Powell gatherings and was thinking about this year and then learned of this combined trip. It sounds great! I'm looking into arranging things with work, which I think I can do.

I'm hoping as the dates get closer that the water levels and other details are still looking good. Thanks for getting this idea going! Better to travel with some company than going alone the whole time.

-Jeff

It will be great to see you again Jeff.
jkidd

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Grand Slam Reply with quote

jack keifer wrote:
We have not been on any Brat gatherings, so we are going to do this one even if we are the are the only ones there. The last time we were there (7 or 8 years ago) we had a 22, so staying on the boat worked well. Now we have a 16 cruiser, so the logistics become more interesting. Since it is about 450 miles from Boise to Bridge Bay, our thought was to stay in a cabin at Lake Lodge the first night and then launch early the next day. All the cabins at Lake Lodge are sold out for the entire time period. We were able to get one at Canyon on the 30th, so I booked it. So if any of you are looking for shore lodging for a night or two, you should probably look soon. I could not remember if they have shore power at Bridge Bay, the only marina on the lake unless something has changed in the past few years, so I called the 800 #, and lady who answered did not know what shore power is. However I found out that the marina will open June 15, and the direct # there is 307-242-3876. So that will be the place to get the details, and I believe reserve a slip. As I recall the last time there was a lot of paperwork, inspections, stickers to buy etc, and that was before invasive species was an issue. Since this marina is managed by the feds, my guess is they will inspect there. I'm guessing the Bozeman person can shed some light on all the procedures too. So we will launch on the morning of the 31st and spend 2 nights on the boat, retrieve late on Wednesday, start home to be back in Boise on Thursday night.
Jack

There is shore power.
You will have to have an inspection before you can launch be sure to get there before 4:00pm.
RobMcClain

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to read that several boats are seriously considering this. We plan to do it and always like meeting other Brats. It's always a good time, and the added safety factor is a nice benefit. Looking forward to seeing all of you!

Rob
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The marina at Bridge Bay has shore power and water; great docks. No nearby showers, though. There are almost always transient slips available.

At Jackson Lake in the Tetons, Colter Bay is the only marina on the lake that has slips, and only 6 transient slips (they go fast). There is no dedicated power pedestals at the transient slips, but you can usually find something on C or D docks. There are showers and a laundromat up near the grocery store (a short walk from the marina). Leeks marina has only mooring balls, and no other facilities except a good pizza restaurant.
maryvmcclain

City/Region: Summerlin
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait for this! I hope you make it happen Chris

Mary
(Freedom)

Montana Kev

City/Region: Bozeman/Yellowstone
State or Province: MT
Vessel Name: Grace
Photos: Grace
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings from Montana. Here is some more Yellowstone Bridge Bay Marina/Lake Information to add to the previous post by others.

1. Inspections and permits - Boats must be inspected by a resource Ranger at the Bridge Bay Marina Ranger Station before they can be launched. Inspections close at 4:PM, the Ranger Station closes at 4:30 pm, this is where you will get both your boat permit and inspection sticker. Same goes for kayaks and canoes.
2. Marina office - Usually open till 5:00 pm or much later early in the season, this is where you pay for your slip (this is not the same people that provide the boat inspections and back country permits). 307-242-3876
3. Restrooms – The NPS maintains heated restrooms at the marina, a bit crude and no hot water. The Lake Lodge has a laundromat and nicer restrooms.
4. Showers- Showers are at the Fishing Bridge RV Park about a 15 minute drive north from the marina. I think they are around $4.00 - http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/lodging/camping/fishing-bridge-rv-park
5. Power - At the marina there is shore power and water. You will need the special 30 - 40 amp marine plug to connect to shore power (not the same as an RV park plug/adapter, there is no 110v outlet).
6. Docks and slips – The docks are super high quality, they look like teak. Since the recession they never fill the marina. B-dock is the transient dock and all the slips hold 2 boats. If you want a single boat slip (your neighbor can’t bang into your boat) just pick out a vacant slip when you get there and ask if it’s available.
7. Backcountry permits - To spend the night on the lake in the back country (not at the Marina) you will need a back country permit. Back country permits are no longer free, this year for the first time they are charging $3.00 per person for a back country permit - http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/backcountryhiking.htm
8. Backcountry docks – Unfortunately the Feds don’t allow you to anchor out on the lake overnight anywhere you chose (this is a highly protected environment), you have to be assigned a permit for a specific anchorage/dock site. There are 3 back country overnight docks, one day use only dock and several anchorages. Listed here - http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/upload/bctrip-planner_2012.pdf
9. Dogs and Cats - Pets are allowed on the boats but not off the boat on a backcountry beach or at a back country boat dock.
10. Bears - If you plan on hiking on any trail you will need to have bear spray. To wonder around without bear spray is like boating with no PFD on board. Bear spray is available in all the park stores approx. $35.00 - $45.00.
11. Major shopping - Cody Wyoming is 80 miles east, lots of stores and museums. The park stores are pretty well stocked - http://www.codychamber.org
12. Cell phones – There is cell service in the marina now thanks to a recent and very controversial cell tower. BB service available with a booster in the marina, without a booster out on the lake.
13. Restaurants – The Lake hotel restaurant is upscale and swank. Live piano music in the lobby and a fun place to just hang out and enjoy the evening and a view of the lake. Around the corner is the Lake Lodge, rustic atmosphere with a roaring fire on cold days and a very nice cafeteria that is reasonably priced, lake view dining on a budget.
14. Lodging/cabins – Things book up a year in advance as others have noted. Sometimes you can get lucky if there are cancellations. Check back often as things do change. You can boat camp in the campground at the marina as an option if you arrive too late to get in the water - http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/lodging/summer-lodges/lake-lodge-cabins
15. Weather - September can be very cool in Yellowstone (mornings in the 30s), bring a heater. We run our shore power heater every morning July, August and September.

Some feel it’s a hassle to get all the permits to boat and stay overnight in the backcountry but it is well worth it. The NPS struggles with balancing preservation with recreation, It’s a tough job. Whatever the hassle and cost, it’s been very much worth it for us. I worked in YSNP in 1978 and took my first paddle on YSL that year. We boat, camp, hike or ski in the park just about every month of the year. There is nothing like floating your boat on the top of the world’s largest active super volcano, surrounded by the largest concentration of wolves and grizzly bears in the lower 48. Come visit and enjoy.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journey On is aiming for Lake Powell. We'll be there starting the week of the 27th.

From what marina will most be launching?

Boris
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
Journey On is aiming for Lake Powell. We'll be there starting the week of the 27th.

From what marina will most be launching?

Boris

Boris, my guess is that it's an even split between Page and Bullfrog, with maybe a few at Hall's Crossing. Page has the advantage of nearby shopping for those who need provisions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: