The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

08/29 - 10/01 - Grand Slam Western Lakes 2015
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Rana Verde
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: 08/29 - 10/01 - Grand Slam Western Lakes 2015 Reply with quote

We discussed doing this earlier in the Yellowstone Lake thread. I really like the idea but I have no experience on the upper lakes. El & Bill's 2008 Grand Slam of Western Lakes is a great reference...and I am thinking that we have enough collective knowledge to make it happen.
Keeping in mind the Bellingham gathering late in August...I would propose that we set some dates that look like this...

Yellowstone Lake Gathering, Saturday September 5th

Jackson Lake Gathering, Saturday September 12th

Flaming Gorge Lake Gathering, Saturday September 19th

Lake Powell Gathering, Saturday September 26th

Some folks would make the entire trip...others would join for whichever portion they wish. The idea would be to spend a few days either side of the gathering date seeing/cruising the area. Of course the Grand Finale would be the Lake Powell Gathering on Saturday, September 26th and cruising the lake the following week as in years past.

Details for launch points etc. would develop as we gather input from everyone.

Sound like a plan?

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea, Chris. Not sure the Daydream crew will be able to do it this year, but we will see if we can figure out a way! One possible issue, we travel with a dog, and as I recall dogs are not particularly welcome on Yellowstone, correct?

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, the dates look good to me other than the Yellowstone Bridge Bay Marina store & campground close on Sept 7th. If this is a concern & it could be for some who might want to attend, but not bring their boat or want the convenience of the store. If so, moving everything up one week, if possible might be better.

We don't have a set date for our return from Alaska, but very likely we will be back for at least Yellowstone & Powell.

Pat, many boaters have dogs at the Marina, but they are restricted from the campsite shore area & docks out on the lake.

Jay

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
Great idea, Chris. Not sure the Daydream crew will be able to do it this year, but we will see if we can figure out a way! One possible issue, we travel with a dog, and as I recall dogs are not particularly welcome on Yellowstone, correct?

Hi Pat,

Shouldn't be an issue with a dog on the lake. There will be some restrictions as far as having along some shoreline (dogs are not allowed on most trails, due to the possibility of crossing paths with wildlife). Same situation on Jackson Lake.

Keep a close watch on water levels at Jackson Lake - year before last, the Colter Bay Marina closed the first week of August due to low water (that lake is used for irrigation). Last year, they were open into the 3rd week of September.

Yellowstone Lake is at 7,800', Jackson Lake is 6,800 - it can be getting chilly that time of year in those places.

Jim
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as we would like to make the "upper lakes"-- I doubt that we can because of the altitude and my heart disease. We have been at all of these lakes several times, and they are great places for a few days, but don't allow the "cruising" experience ashore which Powell does. If you do the Yellowstone, be sure that "Yellowstone John" FarWest, is along. He is the best tour guide going! (Of course Jay is right up there in ability also!) We have taken our dog on board the boat on Yellowstone. (also on Jackson Lake, but not ashore out of the campgrounds).

I agree that in mid September is getting pretty chilly, and facilities are closing by that time of year. On the other side, the crowds are non existent!

Hope to see all at Powell again!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
RobMcClain

City/Region: Summerlin, NV
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

My wife and I have been seriously considering just what you are suggesting. We plan to make both the Bellingham and Lake Powell gatherings, and since we're retired adding the lakes to the itinerary has intrigued us. The timing certainly seems to fit nicely. I note you are allowing roughly 2 weeks after the Bellingham gathering before arriving at Yellowstone Lake. Would this be to allow for some extra cruising time in and around Puget Sound?

This will be our first trip into the Pacific Northwest with the boat in tow and we have no prior boating experience in the areas involved. We always enjoy meeting and cruising with other Brats, and the added safety factor is always a plus. We would like to add our name to the participant list.

Rob (& Mary)
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like a great idea, the timing for me might be a bit late (commitments already in place for Oct 1.) I was thinking of heading to Lake Powell soon after Labor Day for some time though. Moving things up a week might work out for me, but might be better the way it is for you all. I, or you, can catch up Very Happy

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, often there are several C Brats on the lake for the weeks before and after the official Cruise. If we get there again this year, we should be there from mid Sept, thru early Oct. I know there will be others.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. I am really looking forward to Lake Powell. Be great to get to be there with some Brats who know their way around.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Grand Slam, in our opinion, is one of the finest western US inland cruising trips possible. The scenery, the wildlife, the wilderness -- such grandeur!
If you have the time, my what an experience -- with the comfort of pleasant companions and great guides -- should be on your bucket list and if you can do it this year, go for it!

Here's the site to tempt you:

http://cruisingamerica-halcyondays.com/gs.htm

jack keifer

City/Region: Boise
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Squirt
Photos: C-Squirt
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Grand slam tour Reply with quote

If the tour to Yellowstone starts a little earlier, Ellen and I would likely make the trip from Boise. We have been there several times both with, and without a boat and whoever said it can get quite cold over there in September is quite right. Our experience is that the crowds really thin out after about the 15th of August as most of the "non locals" have returned home to get the kids lined out for school. Another problem with 9/5 for us this year is that Washington Dawgs and Coach Pete will visit Boise State on 9/4. Don't think we will miss that one.
RobMcClain

City/Region: Summerlin, NV
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, any thoughts on possibly moving your entire agenda up by one week? That would mean starting at Yellowstone Lake the weekend of August 31, and ending at Lake Powell the weekend of September 19.

Rob
Montana Kev

City/Region: Bozeman/Yellowstone
State or Province: MT
Vessel Name: Grace
Photos: Grace
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We look forward to seeing everyone on Yellowstone Lake this summer. Late August and early September is a wonderful time to be in Yellowstone, lots of wildlife activity. Last September we had a Grizzly in the marina and it's common for Bison to hang out there.

Our boat is slipped at Bridge Bay #B4 from early July till the end of the season, we are there every weekend. Unfortunately, as Jay mentioned they are closing the marina a week early this year because Labor Day is much earlier. They typically are open till around the 14th.

I hope we will have time to join everyone at Powell this year.
JBLECKER

City/Region: San Diego
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Hallelujah
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Lake Powell Sept 2015 Reply with quote

Sounds like you folks will have a great time making the Grand Slam. Our schedule will only permit joining you at Lake Powell.
We might suggest making it just a bit earlier as the weather the lallter part of Sept can get rather stormy.

We currently are planning on getting on the Lake shortly after Labor Day and hope to see some C-Dory's sometime during the following week or two.
John and Grayle Blecker
Chris

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Rana Verde
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking a couple weeks between Bellingham and Yellowstone...but it looks like all things considered it would be preferable to move the Lakes schedule up a week. So dates would look like this...

Yellowstone Lake Gathering, Saturday August 29th

Jackson Lake Gathering, Saturday September 5th

Flaming Gorge Lake Gathering, Saturday September 12th

Lake Powell Gathering, Saturday September 19th

How does this schedule look?

If we run into a situation like Jim mentioned where one of the lakes is a no go for whatever reason we'll just stretch our time at one of the other lakes. We'll have a better idea of conditions as the time nears.

Probably the next thing we should decide is the site on each lake for the gathering. Of course Lake Powell will be the usual...Oak Canyon...with folks launching at whatever ramp they prefer. On the other lakes...are there any recommendations as to siting the gathering?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: