The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

09/19 - 10/01 - Lake Powell 2015
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lost Petrel

City/Region: Potter Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Wild Blue
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I will always have a "wiaaarre" handy, sure enough it was just a clogged pee hole.

http://lostpetrel.blogspot.com/
Other boats;
Cape Dory Typhoon
Pearson Ariel
My Galleries
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not commenting much on John's condition. He now in the hospital in San Diego, and improving daily. I just talked with Grayle.

I agree that the ranger was a great deal of help, but some "medical information" was given to casual requests from members of our group, which was not correct when he was encountered at Dangling Rope.

Because of the high number of deaths on Lake Powell in the past from Carbon Monoxide poisoning, pulse CO-oximeters available which have made it possible to estimate carboxyhemoglobin with non-invasive technology similar to a pulse oximeter. The "cherry red" color of the skin, in CO poisoning is very visible. The CO-oximeter, uses different wave lengths to determine the CO level vs the O level.

I had checked the O2 level on John, and it appeared to be normal. Apparently the ranger/flight medic had used the CO-oximeter, and determined that he had a moderate elevation of CO. and P 02 was low

There is no way of knowing if this is acute, or chronic (such as in cig. smokers!). The elevated level might have been a contributing factor in John's illness. It was not entirely clear, but it appeared that John did run the generator on the aft seat of the C Dory 25, and may have run it on the floor of the cockpit. There was a CO detector in the boat. But it had an expiration date of 2014. The back door was closed, but we must all remember that these doors are not air tight, and CO moves just like oxygen.

The CO oximiter which the emergency crew had cost about $800. (Rad-57 Pulse CO-Oximetry) I carry a pulse oximeter for oxygen, which cost about $100---and had checked John's level, which was normal. The ranger, found a lower level, and it may have been using the more sophisticated unit.

There is a very accurate ambient CO meter, which is sold by Aero Medix: "Ultra Low Level Carbon Monoxide Detector | CO - Experts 2015" for $199. This is often used in air plane cockpits, but is equally valid in a boat; especially in an enclosed cabin. Station Wagon effect can be an issue in our boats.

Treatment of CO poisoning is by breathing 100 % oxygen, and correcting any metabolic abnormalities. But in severe cases hyperbaric chamber may be indicated.

The blood tests are more accurate than the field CO pulse oximeter, but time is also very important, so that the field test is valid at Lake Powell, especially with the history up there of at least 8 deaths a year (one year) form CO!.

For the record, there is nothing which suggested that Propane entered into the medical issues which John had. However this was a question asked by the flight medic.

Be safe!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, You are SOOOOO Right about sub or para subjects showing up under non-related thread titles. I have been down that road a time or 299 x's if I remember right,---> which comes under question at times -- mostly by others, not me I'm sure Laughing My apology for putting this "Y" in the path.

Bob, Thank you for the explanation of events, and obviously you have to limit the medical information given out.

The CO meters, portable, were just becoming available when I was leaving the ER domain, and the Pulse Oximeters were becoming cheaper adn much more portable. (Dating myself a bit, I remember using one that we didn't take to the patient, but went and brought the patient to the oximeter. It was the size of a small to medium microwave and took about 3 minutes to get a reading. For us, it was much simpler, quicker and the MD got more info if we just went and drew the ABG.)

I think most of the carbon monoxide monitors available now have self limiting battery life. 2 years ago, I was at the dock at Ried Harbor when my CO alarm went off. The guy behind me was running a generator on his swim platform. he was going to be running it for another 2-3 hours, so I moved to the other end of the dock. The alarm was still squawking so I took it out and put it up on top of the boat. Still Squawking. Finally took the batteries out.... and replace with new, An hour later still squawking. OK, Then I find in the smallest print on the CO Monitor paper, "Monitor life is 7 years. Unit will alarm continually, at end of life. Will not reset. Replacement needed."

Now most of the ones I see are good for 10 years, with no battery replacement required.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey- No "off topic" CRITICISM GIVEN OR IMPLIED, JUST MY OWN FRUSTRATION WITH KNOWING SOME GOOD INFORMATION IS LATER GOING TO BE HARD TO FIND!

JOE. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, Got it, Thanks and understand. I should have started a thread on Carbon Monoxide detector stuff, instead just kind of ran with it here. Maybe link something to this one. Not time tonight.

Hopefully anyone reading will just remember to keep their CO monitor up to date and pay attention to what it is saying. I jsut love learning here, where ever it is. Laughing

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although many of the CO alarms are supposed to be good for 7 to 10 years, the reality in salt air, is that they are probably good for less time than that. See below: It might be interesting to compare one of the units on our boats with a standard gas measurement meter or the Aero Medix unit, and see what the reliability/reading really is yearly.

I need to emphasize that any of the monitors will be adversely affected by high heat, humidity and salt water. These will all shorten the life of a monitor.

The $200 Aero Medix CO monitor is only good for 5 years! Less in high temp, humidity or salt! I would consider replacing the C O monitor at least every 5 years on the boat. It should be removed from the boat, just as your PLB or electronics are, when you leave the boat in storage. We have a bag that all of these things go in, and are taken into the climate controlled home.
k-p pelican

City/Region: Putnam
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello from Illinois

We had a great time at the Lake Powell gathering. It was great to meet new C-Brats and to see some familiar faces as well.

We thank you for your hospitality.

We would love to see all of you guys at the 2016 Mississippi River Gathering so we could return the favor.

Most important of all is the health of John. Our prayers are with him and we hope for a speedy recovery.

Thanks again,

Ken & Pat (Pelican)
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John has been doing well--I am gong to check again tomorrow.

I put up about 40 photos of this year at Powell.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where would those photos be located? And while on this subject, I know several gatherings get their own photo pages. Is there an easy way to find those pages? Thanks. Colby

Late note. Oh never mind, I think I figured it out by trail and error. lol. For anyone else.... use the link at the top of the page for photos, then C-brat cruises and events. Colby
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
For anyone else.... use the link at the top of the page for photos, then C-brat cruises and events. Colby

Doing that, I didn't see an album for Lake Powell 2015 gathering. However, then I found that there is a sub-album for the Lake Powell gathering in the Grand Slam album, with (currently) 63 photos in it. (Thanks to those who have uploaded photos!)

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2347&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Who's next??? Reply with quote

Again this year, Dr. Bob gave me a great book on the Colorado area, and keeping with tradition... I am offering it to another CBrat.

The book is "The Very Hard Way - Bert Loper and the Colorado River" by Brad Dimock. It's a great read about Bert and the other pioneers in the Colorado watershed.

First Come, First Served. Just share it with the next person.

thataway

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John is home, doing well, and I talked with him for a few minutes today.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

Great news! Thanks Bob!
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wandering Sagebrush wrote:
thataway wrote:

Great news! Thanks Bob!

Yes, good news & thanks here also for the updates.

Jay

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to figure out my calendar for next year and wondering if the Lake Powell gatherings tend to be in October, or if any tentative dates have been set up for later this year, or even earlier next year. THanks. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: