The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

09/19 - 10/01 - Lake Powell 2015
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Water Bill

City/Region: Lake Keowee, SC
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: Mystery Girl (Ranger Tug R-23)
Photos: Mystery Girl and C-Swell
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some highlights from the latest news release I could find from the Utah Department of Environmental Quality dated August 19th, concerning the Gold King Mine spill.

Water test results suggest that the plume from the spill presents little health risk to users as it has been settled and diluted while making its way to Lake Powell. No fish kills have been documented along the San Juan River or Lake Powell.

I don't think we need to worry about boating or swimming in Lake Powell. Activities on the Animas River here in Durango seem to back to normal.

Here is a link to the news release if anyone is interested in reading all of it.

http://www.deq.utah.gov/Topics/Water/goldkingmine/docs/2015/08Aug/goldminefinal.pdf

Bill
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water Bill wrote:
Here are some highlights from the latest news release I could find from the Utah Department of Environmental Quality dated August 19th, concerning the Gold King Mine spill.

Water test results suggest that the plume from the spill presents little health risk to users as it has been settled and diluted while making its way to Lake Powell. No fish kills have been documented along the San Juan River or Lake Powell.

I don't think we need to worry about boating or swimming in Lake Powell. Activities on the Animas River here in Durango seem to back to normal.

Here is a link to the news release if anyone is interested in reading all of it.

http://www.deq.utah.gov/Topics/Water/goldkingmine/docs/2015/08Aug/goldminefinal.pdf

Bill

Hi Bill, Thanks for your response. I will post one paragraph from the news release. But first, I had to stop and think --> This is coming from the same folks, Well actually not, but government agency from a another state, that were responsible for the spill in the first place. Still sounds like they are wanting us to be pretty careful.

" The Utah Department of Health (UDOH) and San Juan Public Health have evaluated the most
current data and find that recreational exposures to the San Juan River are not expected to result in
adverse health effects. UDOH does recommend that recreational users bring along their own
drinking water while visiting the river and not rely on personal devices for filtration/purification
of river water. Visitors to the river, especially in the case of children, should refrain from
ingesting the water and are also encouraged to minimize skin contact with dirt and sand along the
river. People who come in contact with sediment should rinse off promptly after contact, and as
always, wash hands well with soap and water before eating.
"

Interesting statement.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The public health statement is cover your six. So far no one seems concerned about the contaminate--we are still going up the San Juan Arm.
Delayed launch one day, because of my back (I still do dumb things when loading boats).

Water looked clearer yesterday.

Since you are near the canyons, there is often 90's daytime temp, but on the lake center the temps are usually in the 80's. With a shelter/shade (we brought the large "Noah's Tarp" this year, and breeze it is comfortable. We worked on the boat almost all day yesterday. Very dry humidity. Nights are comfortable. Later in Sept, the nights can be cooler, and we are taking one set of warmer PJ's--jackets, just in case.

Dry ice is available at WalMart, large Freezer in S E corner near NE entrance.

Safeway (N. Lake Powell BLvd, next strip mall S from "The Dam Inn eatery" had a better selection of food, and only slightly more costly, if at all.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, any chance they had real ice and not slush?
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting about the "slush" ice. I've bought a fair bit of ice on the lake (mostly at Dangling Rope, but also at Hall's, Bullfrog, and Wahweap) and it's never been slush. It's either cubes, or "fake blocks" (cubes/chips pressed into a block). I lament the almost complete disappearance of real block ice in the USA, but the stuff at Powell has always been really cold, even if the form factor wasn't exactly what I would have chosen (fake blocks).

Maybe I've just been lucky?
Wandering Sagebrush

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
Interesting about the "slush" ice. I've bought a fair bit of ice on the lake (mostly at Dangling Rope, but also at Hall's, Bullfrog, and Wahweap) and it's never been slush. It's either cubes, or "fake blocks" (cubes/chips pressed into a block). I lament the almost complete disappearance of real block ice in the USA, but the stuff at Powell has always been really cold, even if the form factor wasn't exactly what I would have chosen (fake blocks).

Maybe I've just been lucky?

When it's half air, whitish in color, it's not 'real' ice by my way of thinking. Hopefully, the Engel will help with the issue.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: How many boats coming to the Lake Powell Gathering? Reply with quote

We don't seem to have a 'Sign up" sheet, I know of about half a dozen boats coming for sure. Why don't we all get some idea of how many will be at the gathering. I'll probably be at Oak Canyon a few days before, and attempt to find a good place. There are several arms at Oak, so if you don't see us in one, keep looking and give a shout on Channel 16. (I monitor `16 and 68).

We will probably only have spotty if any internet from now on.

Steve, I didn't look at the ice block section--but in the past and other places where I have looked in town, have "Reddy Ice"--claims to be the largest ice maker in the US. It is the same stuff you get at Dangling Rope.
Sunbeam, these are reefer containers on the barges at Dangling Rope--and they can be subject to many factors--but I would only expect the value of the ice to be the caloric value as it melts--very little value if the ice is at 22 or 31 degrees. By the time you get it back to your boat, it is already "sweating"!

I turned on the "damaged" WAECO, which we are gong to use as a freezer, when I started the unit, it was 87.5 degrees inside. We went to the grocery store, and got fishing licenses--about 2 hours. The temperature was 15.7 (digital lab thermometer), and the LCD reading was 16 degrees. Cannot ask for better than that!

I put 6 gallons of gas for the generator aboard, and we will see how long that lasts with the two chests running….The challenge, is getting all Marie has planed into those two chests! (We have a 22 cu foot frige/freezer in the RV--so 3.5 cubic is really going to be a challenge!
Wandering Sagebrush

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

Since Lake Powell is the last on the tour, I just used the Grand Slam signup sheet, even though we will only be able to catch Powell.

Sounds like the damaged freezer is doing just fine...

Steve
Lost Petrel

City/Region: Potter Valley
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Wild Blue
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wild Blue is planning on being there for the get together, launching from Wahweap around the 13th.

Tim

http://lostpetrel.blogspot.com/
Other boats;
Cape Dory Typhoon
Pearson Ariel
My Galleries
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I see what you mean by "slush ice," and yep, that's what I've gotten too. Very white and aerated, not to mention the maddening "fake blocks." I had thought you meant it was slushy.

Makes me long for the ice plants in the tropics. Big buildings full of nothing but a huge, clear block of ice, which they would saw to whatever size you wanted. Now that stuff lasted!
Wandering Sagebrush

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wandering Sagebrush wrote:
Bob,

Since Lake Powell is the last on the tour, I just used the Grand Slam signup sheet, even though we will only be able to catch Powell.

Sounds like the damaged freezer is doing just fine...

Steve

I just made a request for a Powell signup. Hopefully Tyboo or Da Nag will see it.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just made a request for a Powell signup. Hopefully Tyboo or Da Nag will see it.

OK - we got one set up and dedicated to this event. As you can see in the new thread title (edited to place it on the front page announcement list) I used the dates from the Grand Slam listing. If we need to set a different start/end date please let us know and we will get it fixed.

Sunbeam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Tyboo!

For the Powell Gathering, I would say something like September 18-26. The main potluck is Saturday night, September 19, and oftentimes people put in on the 18th to get there. Then it usually runs about a week (although many folks come earlier and stay later). But at least that gives an idea of the main week.
Wandering Sagebrush

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:

OK - we got one set up and dedicated to this event. As you can see in the new thread title (edited to place it on the front page announcement list) I used the dates from the Grand Slam listing. If we need to set a different start/end date please let us know and we will get it fixed.

Thank you!
Wandering Sagebrush

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Look out below... Reply with quote

There's a rock below Glen Canyon dam that is a bit worrisome.

http://news.yahoo.com/rock-threatening-crash-down-arizona-dam-155853245.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: