The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

09/19 - 10/01 - Lake Powell 2015
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are planing going up the San Juan Arm in a couple of weeks. My guess is that with the amount of volume of water, that the major visible contaminates may be gone. But I would be concerned about the fish, and would want to have an official OK before eating any. Generally contaminates in fish are over a long time, but with the high concentration, there could be issues, especially in the San Juan arm. Probably going to be safer up the lake above where the San Juan drains into the lake (above Oak Canyon).
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might want to look at Cottonwood Canyon. Good fishing in that canyon.

Lost Petrel

City/Region: Potter Valley
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Wild Blue
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am counting on that there will be a "Stan Jones" map available locally when we get down there as none available online currently. Did get a copy of the "Boaters Guide to Lake Powell".
The plan is to launch from Wahweap on the 12th or 13th of Sept. and make it to the rendezvous in Oak Bay on the 19th.

Just installed two new deep cell house batteries, de-winterized the engine, starting on the first crank. Beginning to pack, plan on being on the lake at least two to three weeks.

And of course looking forward to meeting some Brats!

Tim

http://lostpetrel.blogspot.com/
Other boats;
Cape Dory Typhoon
Pearson Ariel
My Galleries
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, order a copy of the map in advance, and use it in conjunction with your guide. A full size map helps put things into perspective, and it's fun as well.
Lost Petrel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wandering Sagebrush wrote:
Tim, order a copy of the map in advance, and use it in conjunction with your guide. A full size map helps put things into perspective, and it's fun as well.

The problem is I cannot find any place with it in stock. But I will keep looking.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did buy one online before going the first time (forget where, some small place), but then the next year it was in tatters and I found many available locally in Page (I think I may have picked one up at the grocery store, and they may even have been for sale in the campground store).
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Stan Jones map sites suggests that they are available for cash, check only:

http://stanjonesmaps.com/Contact.html

If not, they will most likely be available on the lake. I'll look when I get there in a couple of weeks. We left one at home, and brought out older map which is cut to fit the table.
Lost Petrel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
The Stan Jones map sites suggests that they are available for cash, check only:

http://stanjonesmaps.com/Contact.html

If not, they will most likely be available on the lake. I'll look when I get there in a couple of weeks. We left one at home, and brought out older map which is cut to fit the table.

Thanks Bob, I had seen that just wasn't sure how long it would take to go through the mail, I think I will have a better chance of finding one local.
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We arrived at Powell-reserved Camp site C 13--apparently it was taken, so we are in C 12. We will be here 4 nights before launching the end of the week. It was 115 degrees in Vegas and most of the desert as we rolled along yesterday! (We have to tow the boat with the Yukon when in Calif, but once in NV, and on, it went back behind the RV. We topped off the RV, and boat with fuel, between Big Water and Wahweep. (The last pump on the inside has a very long hose, which will reach to both C Dory tanks. ) Gas was about $2,93 a gallon, and Diesel was about $2.67 a gallon--gas was much better than Calif. where we were still paying as much as $3.70 last week.

Maps/charts: The Stan Jones maps are in stock at the Wahweep campground, so I suspect that they will be at most of the places in town. Mike's Stix Liquor--best place for lures and Licenses did not have the South Fishing maps--only the North. I have not checked WalMart or other sporting good stores.

The Word is that boating activity has slowed down the last week. Pretty much of a good season (our friends at Big Water Toy,s and storage, are happy to store our RV, with power while we are on the lake. ($$ or course) They are busier than every!

Castle rock cut is open, and should be open thru Sept. I would say that the lake was close to the same depth as last year. It was cloudy/smokey when we came in, but the water looks cloudier than most other years--I'll have to see how it looks in the next few days. Many of the washes showed evidence of recent running water--and we had a hard thundershower this afternoon.

I will have my Verizon phone on for Instant Messages: 850 619 4408. I can get these on many parts of the lake, where we cannot get A T & T, or Verizon phone calls.

As we crossed from Nevada, to Arizona, and then into Utah, on Hwy 15, there was a sign saying all water craft exit. I did, and we stayed in the left lane--trucks to the right lanes. A young man wanted to know where the boat had been during the last several months. He then "inspected it" --only the bottom. When we came to the ranger station at Wahweep, the ranger wanted the boat's registration, as well as our golden age card, and driver's license. We had to drive ahead, and I went back to get the boat registration out of the boat. All she did is write the date on it…didn't even take any information off my DL, the Reg, or Golden Age. (I was getting a "yearly sticker" (since I was going to be on the lake more than a couple of weeks).
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
We arrived at Powell-reserved Camp site C 13--apparently it was taken, so we are in C 12.

Great to hear that you are there and getting ready to boat.

I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago at Wahweap Campground. When I asked them about it they said that you can reserve a specific campsite (which I had, and as you did) but that if someone arrives sooner than you and wants it, they give it to that person. Then you still have a reservation, but only for "a" campsite, not "the" campsite that you reserved. Given this policy, I'm not sure what the point is in even allowing people to (theoretically) reserve a specific campsite, but who knows the logic behind these things! (Now I'm thinking of Seinfeld reserving a car...).
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, we are thinking that around 9/12 we will start down. I've ordered an Engel 45 that should be here in 8-10 days. We're going to try to minimize our need for the slushy ice at Powell. Should be at Wahweap around the 16th, on the water a day or two later. We'll send you a note as things jell.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
thataway wrote:
We arrived at Powell-reserved Camp site C 13--apparently it was taken, so we are in C 12.

Great to hear that you are there and getting ready to boat.

Given this policy, I'm not sure what the point is in even allowing people to (theoretically) reserve a specific campsite, but who knows the logic behind these things! (Now I'm thinking of Seinfeld reserving a car...).

"You know how to take a reservation, you just don't know how to hold a reservation" Classic.

Martin.
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:

I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago at Wahweap Campground. When I asked them about it they said that you can reserve a specific campsite (which I had, and as you did) but that if someone arrives sooner than you and wants it, they give it to that person. Then you still have a reservation, but only for "a" campsite, not "the" campsite that you reserved. Given this policy, I'm not sure what the point is in even allowing people to (theoretically) reserve a specific campsite, but who knows the logic behind these things! (Now I'm thinking of Seinfeld reserving a car...).

Well the strange thing is that there was no RV in the campsite we reserved, and later in the day, a small class C pulled in. These are campsites which are about 60 feet long, and about 30 feet wide….The advantage for us, is the boat is right next to the RV for loading etc--and we still have "sitting room between the boat and RV. We had asked for the one site, because it was very easy to back the boat in using the 42 foot RV, without unhitching and using the car. I did it with the other site, with out any issues, except I had to put one wheel of the RV (off road)--disturbed a little desert sand….
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, that heat (115) and what about what are they (anybody that knows), saying about what the water is going to be like?

I was really thinking about coming down later in Sept. I was wondering if I would ever have to do bottom paint on the boat if I put it into that contaminated water. One of the main interests for me was to be able to swim in the warm water. Hmmm, might produce a glowing personality Laughing . Curious what the thoughts are on the contamination levels, residue longevity etc.

Also, what are the daytime temps on the water like?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In San Diego, the hottest month of the year is September and that goes into the first 2 weeks of October. I was hoping that towards the end of Sept and at that altitude, it would cool off.

Bob, when you get on the lake, please let us know what the contamination situation is.

Thanks, Boris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: