The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Loss of life on Mobile Bay 3 dead, 3 missing.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Loss of life on Mobile Bay 3 dead, 3 missing. Reply with quote

We had a tragic issue this last weekend during the annual Dauphine Island Race on Mobile Bay, which does not seem to have caused much national attention. The 18 mile race from Fairhope AL, to Dauphine Island started at 9:30/9:45 AM, on Saturday April 25. There was a strong storm front coming across the SE during this day, and it had caused tornados in Louisiana, as well as storm force straight line winds. There were 119 boats from 16 foot Cats, on up to ocean racers entered in this race.

At about 4:30 PM the front arrived on the bay, with winds in excess of 60 knots. At least a dozen boats capsized (although it is not documented that over 3 of these were in the race). Many people were in the water. At this time there are 3 confirmed dead, and 3 still missing, and presumed dead--as the CG is stopping a "rescue" effort today, and turning it over to the Sheriff's office as a "recovery" operation.

The point is that any one in a small boat needs to not only have their PFD, but also to have extra floatation, plus a materials which will aid in their rescue. This would include retroflective tape on the PFD, pockets/lanyard in the PFD, which would allow a whistle, flares, strobe light, and dye packet, as well as a waterproof hand held VHF radio, and PLB, especially if remote areas. We also suggest extra floatation. Many standard life vests only give 15.5 lbs of floatation. A good addition would be a belt type of inflatable, which would provide an additional 15.5 to 25.5 lbs of floatation--which would help to keep a victims head out of the waves. Some of the inflatable collar PFD's have up to 36 lbs. of floatation.

Video worth watching for the rapidity and severity:
http://www.soundingsonline.com/dispatches/293562-video-equivalent-to-a-hurricane/?utm_source=soundings-enewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=textlink&utm_campaign=enewsletter-0428

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were smart to get their sails down relatively early, apparently. I think the fact that the helmsman didn't have on a preserver was pretty bad, although it looked like someone tried to get one on her, but they gave up. Scary looking sky, but the big boat they were on seemed to take it all in stride.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did see this on national TV news, forgot which service but you are right, Unnecessary loss of life. Sad. Unfortunate that people do not understand and respect to water and the wind. Respect for those elements is one of the primary concepts I used to teach back when.... A person can only be prepared, with the right knowledge and equipment, no one can control the wind, waves and tide, but knowing about them you can take advantage of their power but you must always remember, they can over power you whenever.

Loss of life on the water is often considered accidental, most often it is failure to be prepared adequately.

As boaters we should also all be Boy Scouts -- "Always prepared"

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Pedromo

City/Region: Oxnard
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: C-Casa
Photos: C-Casa
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good friend of mine who is very experience sailor/skipper named Lee Creekmore lost a crew member during the squall. Lee is devastated , to say the least. The man fell over the side, and was being towed by the boat while hanging onto a line, but the crew couldn't bring him aboard.
My personal preference in addition to floating devices and radios is a life line attached to a secured point on the boat. Boats stay afloat longer than humans.
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In many boats the safety harness and a strong point with a tether is what we have used for many years when racing--especially offshore in heavy weather. However, if in a small boat which capsizes, it may be a detriment. A good tether should should have a spinnaker halyard shackle on the attachment to the safety harness, along with a beaded lanyard, so it is easy to find and grip, if you have to disconnect the tether, and avoid being pulled under water and drowning.

I had heard that one of the persons lost was a crew member for Lee Creekmore. Creekmore is a very well respected marine surveyor and yacht designer.

One of the most ferocious storms I have seen was when driving across the Mobile Bay Causway. I am sure that this storm looked the same way. I encountered one in Northern Europe on the River Elbe. That storm like the one in Mobile Bay was moving at over 60 miles per hour and had winds of over 60 knots.. I was under sail and had the motor ticking over. My son, at that time about 14, and I were aboard--Marie and my daughter had taken the Van to meet us that evening at a yacht club. From the time I saw the squall on the horizon until it was upon us was a matter of several minutes. My son got the 700 sq foot main down and a couple of sail ties on it before the wind was over 40 knots. I was cranking on the roller furling on the genoa (about 1250 sq feet) with a winch, and got all but the last couple of feet in--the reason I could not get the last few feet in, was that there was not enough line on the furling drum, when under the pressure it was on for the last few feet, to allow getting the entire sail in. That last few feet was schredded. I had enough power with a 90 hp diesel at near WOT to keep the bow right next to a channel marker. There were ocean going freighters blown aground, as well as many tugs and barges, into the shoal water outside of the river channel. As you saw in the video, the visibility drops to almost zero. Radar is of no use.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tragic news certainly.

As one who has sailed in many races in the open waters of northern Lake
Michigan, I would like to know

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

It has been my experience, the race committee, or the individual skippers of
the boats taking part in the race have the duty to thoroughly check weather
reports BEFORE putting boats and lives in peril. Further, with all the modern
mobile weather technology allowing easy monitoring of current weather systems
available today, I do not understand how this could happen.

After all, boating is optional. Returning home is mandatory.

Aye.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foggy said:

Quote:
"After all, boating is optional. Returning home is mandatory. "

Amen.

The reason for the basic concept. The concept, Be prepared, that includes checking the weather.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Foggy

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking the weather...

Venturing out on the water for any event of significance should not
include merely checking the weather, the weather should be studied.

Weather is #1. If you don't grasp this, you shouldn't be out there.

Focusing on all the paraphernalia you might need if you suddenly find yourself
overboard, what to do in case you have to call "Mayday" or what life raft of the
day is best is, sorry, backasswards.

Focus on prevention. First is to determine if you should be out there to begin
with. First is studying weather.

Aye.

Grandma used to say, "Don't fool around with Mother Nature."
1TUBERIDER

City/Region: Crescent City
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry to hear of the loss. Pray for the families of the departed.

I also would not knowing go out if that tyoe of front was predicted.

We had a day in October a few years ago that was nice in the morning and all size boats were out. Suddenly a front came thru that was not on the forecast that caused 40 knot winds. It was very bad. I was at the coast guard station waiting for my team to be deployed in our rhib. No go group said. Way above our limits was the reason. I watched from the station as a sport boat that came in with the bow almost a foot from the surface. It was almost flooded. We were fortunate to not have a loss of life. One vessel was abandoned as the skipper jumped in another boat.

This front caught all off guard. Stuff happens. Be prepared.

I would image that inland fronts are even more unpredictable. I can't count the number of times I got soaked by squalls on my bike trip to Sturgis.

These stories make me sad.

Foggy

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can get "caught in it" and I have been.

Even with thorough preparation and weather study, phenomena like fast
approaching fronts and local aberrant weather patterns can nail you. This
is more likely to happen on longer off shore passages where you cannot
find safe harbor. The race from Fairhope to Dauphine Isl is only some 20+
miles (rhum line) and nowhere in Mobile Bay can you get more than 12+ or so
miles off shore.

There is no such thing as "long range" weather predictions past 4 - 5 days
even with professional weather services knowing your itinerary; like for long
offshore passages along a coast, long off shore voyaging or going trans-ocean.

Aye.

Grandpa (an old navy man) used to say, "The sea merely waits for the innocent
but actually stalks the unprepared, the foolish and the arrogant."
thataway

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very interesting reading about this on forums such as Sailing Anarchy. Also reading the media, and some other sources, more "facts" have come out.

The Dauphine Island race is a yearly event, and often folks who are not regular racers, and it can be somewhat of a "booze cruz" by reputation. Some of my friends stay out of this race, just for this reason. Thus you are less likely to have seasoned offshore racers. Also there were about 20 "beach cats" from 16 (Hobie Cats) up to 20 some feet. Some of these are well maintained--others not. There is no pre race inspection for safety gear, as is often required for major offshore races (Actually there is no place on the race course where you are more than 6 miles from land--although you might have a fetch of up to 24 miles).

I now know of several individuals, who did not race because of the weather. I had been watching it for the previous several days, and knew that it would not be a time to be on the water. The race was to have started at 9:30 AM, due to some communication errors, and a general recall for the first group, the race did not start until 11 AM. The race instructions had been amended to require a VHF radio aboard, and there were weather warnings broadcast by both the CG, and the race committee before the storm hit. BUT, folks in beach cats put the radio, cell phone and often distress items in the vest pockets, and turn them off. There was a NOAA meteorologist at the skippers meeting the night before the race, who did note the risk of a front. Many of the racers assumed that since there was a constant 15 to 20 knot breeze, and many cells seemed to go North and South of Mobile Bay, that they were "safe". I observed, as well as at least one other C Dory owner, who was to the West of me, that threatening weather was approaching, at least 30 minutes before the storm hit. (Visible Cumulonimbus clouds, thunder, dark base, and haze upon the horizon).

So far they have found 5/6 bodies of those "missing'. Unfortunately there are always going to folks upon the water who don't have the knowledge and experience to keep out of harm's way--and then there are those who are "caught", un-aware, even if they know better. Many are lulled into thinking that this race is a piece of cake--and 90% of the time it is. Anyone who has sailed in the Gulf, East Coast, Great Lakes knows that these sudden storms are part of the scene, and should be aware of them.

Of the boats that sunk, there was loss of life on a Cat. 22, and a Cal 24 (not sure which model). A J 24 was destroyed as it was pushed aground. The common thread between these three boats is that they were not able to get sail off the boat. The boats went over at least 90 degrees, and filled with water. How would have a C Dory faired? Actually pretty well. The boat would have had a rough ride, but should have been safe--however, most likely given the bilge pump a work out. There is enough power to bring the C Dory into the wind/waves, and at least run quartering into the wind/seas. Of course it would have been far better to run for it, and get into protected waters. I gave refuge to a bass boat with 4 aboard (two adults and two children) at our dock. They had the sense to run across the bay, and duck into our Bayou where it is protected--from all but the flying tree branches.. However, none had life jackets on when I spotted them!

Prayers for those who lost loved ones! The sea is a jealous mistress!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: