smallest immersion/survival suit?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: smallest immersion/survival suit? Reply with quote

Anyone know? I'm looking for something for the smallest of people. By the time the months don't have 'r's in them anymore (i.e. next month!) and it's okay to bring babies on boats, she should be weighing in around 12lbs at the beginning of the season and maybe 18lbs at the end?
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google Mustang Survival products. They may. Universal was as small as they used to go. Still way big.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing made--except maybe custom, that size. The smallest I know of is for Max. 59" 99cm - 150cm 44lbs - 110lbs. by Mustang. I have taken babies as young as a month boating, on all types of boats--from open dinghies, to large cruising boats. In this case, you are the ideal buyer of C pup's off shore survival raft, complete! There are a lot of issues with survival of in infant, as well as hypothermia--which the Immersion suit is designed to help prevent. keeping a baby who is free in the water from drowning, (unless the infant has been taught to swim--and then the immersion suit becomes a hinderance). (My children were swimming by age 6 months, thanks to Greta Anderson's program--but not in the cold water of AK. )

A papoose type of "suit" made of thick neoprene, with a zipper and neck seal for the size of the child. (Neck grows much more slowly in diameter than the body in length). (all self made with material at home) would be another solution.)

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
C-Pup16 in Los Angeles

City/Region: Los Angeles
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Pup
Photos: C-Pup
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject: better get a family survival raft Reply with quote

Hello Kushtaka,

I am selling my off-shore Givens buoy style survival raft. It is designed to not be flipped over by wind and swells in foul weather. It protects the occupants from cold ocean spray. Its roof has a radar reflector. You give it a toss overboard and yank the painter, then get all your family on board. Have a ditch bag with towels, dry clothes, water and k-rations, marine hand held radio and GPS and batteries to toss in with you, then wait for the USCG help. If your C-Dory does not sink, it will be mostly submerged and won't keep you dry. You can leave the floating raft attached to the boat with a long line, which rips off if the boat sinks. That way, next morning in better weather, maybe a rescue boat can recover you, your C-Dory and raft.

Here's the thread I started on C-Brats. Look at the video that Givens Raft posts to explain why they are the best choice. http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?p=277027#277027

Here is my eBay listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121613053370?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

It can fit in the corner of your cockpit. Peace of mind in a bag. The recertification cost me $605 in 2011.

Be well,
Keith Dager
C-Pup16 in Los Angeles
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good suggestion. I'd like to have something neoprene to put her in, even in a life raft. I can't remember a time when I didn't drive a boat. My dad started me before I can even remember, and I think that has been a bid thing for me. I want to pass that along.

I also used to be a certified water safety instructor and teach infant swimming lessons when I was in high school and college. My kid is about to hit the pool regardless.

Probably the thing to do would be to make a neoprene swaddle with a rubber neck. I worry about a papoose/bag (which is the first thing I thought of) because the tendency would innately be to float the kid wrong end up (at least in my thought experiments) unless maybe I had enough positive buoyancy between her head and shoulders, where there isn't much real estate.

I need an engineer.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would personally plan to keep the baby dry and bundled more than wet and warm. We started our C-dory adventure with a two year old and that fact weighed on us in the beginning and even to this day a bit. That is one reason we ended up with the Portland Pudgy Dinghy.

It was a vessel I could really not fathom failing on us and I kept it tethered to the boat knowing it would be floating and ready for us no matter what happened to the C-dory. A very small kid will survive cold weather/water trauma better than an adult but with such a small body mass they also get into trouble much sooner.

Keep a warm, water resistant and synthetic set of clothing for the kid in a waterproof sack and with your ditch supplies and maybe look at your dinghy and its life saving potential. A wet kid is not such a huge issue if you have dry clothes and a platform to use them on.

This was a favorite of ours:

http://www.campsaver.com/baby-reversible-puff-ball-bunting

If we ever take our current boat farther off the beaten path I plan to purchase a Switlik MOM platform just to backup our inflatable dingy for emergency use.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: