The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Dessert 1st, Northbound on the ICW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After anchoring at Mattawoman Creek we traveled fifty miles on down the Potomac to "Cobb Island." There were only two marinas, and one didn't have showers, so we went to Shymanski's Marina; WHICH WAS A TOTAL JOKE! Although we've stayed in some pretty funky places, this one easily takes the cake. Old, broken down, pilings that were quite literally falling down, badly wired electricity (after you located a working plug), layer upon layer of bird/duck shit Everywhere, and showers that were probably cleaned a few months ago. It was amazing. ...but enough of that.

The next day (the 28th) we made it 30 miles down the Potomac to the St Mary River. Oncewe turned up river things were absolutely Beautiful. St. Mary City was the original capitol of Maryland, and was founded in about 1634 (as I recall). Lots of interesting history, and St. Mary's College of Maryland is the prettiest campus I have ever seen. Stunning. Most of the student's had already graduated or departed for the summer, but the few we met were all very nice kids. My impression is that this 2000 student population is pretty comfortable financially, and come from all over the World. If I ever went back to college, I'd want to go to SMCMD ! We anchored out for three nights and spend the days wandering ashore. But it was time to move on ... So we went five miles downriver to Dennis Point Marina!

The folks at DPM were very helpful, excellent facilities, and they even have a swimming pool for the boaters and campers from their campground. It was pretty hot/humid, so it was easy to be lazy for three more days.

We had been watching the wx closely since the next segment of our journey would take us around "Pt. Lookout" which is the northern side of the Potomac River at the Chesapeake Bay ... pretty big water.

Small Craft Warnings had been on-and-off for several days, and I was getting a little nervous about the forty mile jump north on the Chesapeake up to Solomon's Island (near the mouth of the Patuxent River). This morning we decided to make a 'go of it.

We identified several dive-out places we could go if conditions required, so we decided to make a run for it BEFORE the small craft warning at noon kicked in.

Unlike most of our slower displacement cruising, we decided to make miles while we could. We kicked the Honda up to 4300rpm and cruised at 22-24 all the way. Yowee!!! It was moderately bumpy as we rounded Pt. Lookout, but by the time we were off the shore we picked up a following sea that permitted perfect sleigh ride all the way to Solomon Island! After all the contingency planning we had done, this was a Very pleasant surprise. I also have to reiterate that we ENJOY having a boat we can kick into high gear and GET to a destination! ...and we burned thirteen (well spent!) gallons of gas. Who knows - we could get used to this fast(er) cruising.

So far Solomon's Island seems delightful. We walked the boardwalk a lot this morning and got the feel of the town. Wx is marginal (today's small craft advisory was spot-on) and it'scurrently gray, rainy, and (blessedly) cool enough for a chamois shirt. We'll go back to the Calvert Marine Museum tomorrow ... and probably digest every display. (We've turned into real 'museum people.)

That's all for this edition!

Best,
Casey&Mary

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! We remember our week cruising the Chesapeake in 2005 on Otter, Tom Callahan's boat, that he generously allowed us to use for a week, cruising with Bill and El (Halcyon) and George and Penny (Wanderer). I don't know when/if we will get back there again, but we enjoyed the whole experience. St Michael's was a great town with a wonderful museum. Keep on posting, we are enjoying every mile vicarously!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know the old saying: "No rain, no rainbows"? You have to stay in a crappy marina to appreciate the marginal ones and REALLY appreciate the good ones.

It reminds me of the time we were in a marina in Florida with Brent and Dixie... she went to check out the showers while we went in search of a 50 to 30 amp adapter. When she came back, I asked, "How were the showers?"

She said, "There's one. It'll remind you of Mexico."

Disgust

Sure makes you appreciate the nice ones.

Keep those updates coming!

Best wishes,
Jim
Casey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat/Patti: I remember when you were back East. Wasn't that for a CBGT up on the Chester River? Many interesting places, and new sights. Mary is from Frederick County (MD) and has spent a lot of time around the Chesapeake vacationing with her folks, but this is pretty new to me.

Jim&Joan: very true about rain and rainbows. I loved the story about Dixie and the Mexican-like shower. (I also remember the story about you guy's, the Keys bus to Key West, and a wine bottle. Great!). With B&D on the SEAK trip with Jay&Jolee I'm expecting some great stories from that Adventure as well. I'm expecting that once B&D tie into a halibut or mess of salmon/crab, they may begin shopping for a Marina with a good monthly rate! Guaranteed: they're going to eat well!

...God, we love C-Brats!

Best,
C&M
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey and Mary,

Having a great time here, following your trip. Wish I was there, but then I wouldn't be here, which brings to mind....... some think I'm not all there anyway. Laughing Laughing

Keep breathing... I've heard it's good for your health Shocked Cool

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

BoaterHomer

City/Region: The Villages
Vessel Name: DESSERT 1st
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, Floyd, thank you for that AWESOME Google Map of our trip. I've been meaning to make one but need my laptop and we've had VERY limited wi-fi. So, thank you for saving me the trouble! There are some missing dots between Ft. George and Charleston so I will fill you in on those details.

One thing interesting is that my SmugMug photo album automatically creates a map using the metadata from the photos. How cool is that! It should load on the first page of my album:http://caseyandmary.smugmug.com/Florida-to-the-Chesapeake-2015/

Second, I'm going to copy my last post to Facebook since I think it has some good info for folks making the decision on whether to do the Potomac River. If you are following me on Facebook, it's the same info. If not, feel free to "friend" me. I'm under Mary Burtner Casebeer.

Here's the post:

We always say: When you come to a fork in the road, take it!

Casey and I had both lived near DC, been to DC many times, and had seen "everything". Casey's first job with the National Park Service after the Army was as an Interpretive Ranger at the Lincoln Memorial. I grew up near DC, going there for school field trips, and later as an adult to see the sites almost every year while I visited my family in MD.

So when we got to the junction of the Potomac River, with 100 long miles of choppy water between where we were on the Chesapeake Bay and DC, we came very close to skipping the trip up river. I'M SO GLAD WE DIDN'T.

Having fond childhood memories of the Potomac of Frederick and Washington counties in MD and of the C&O canal beside of it, I wanted to see what this end looked like. The differences were like night and day. The Potomac I grew up near was narrow, shallow and rocky. But on this end, the Potomac was several miles wide, white-capped, and potentially as rough as the ocean.

But what an incredible experience to be in DC on our own boat for a week over Memorial Day.

Gangplank Marina was the perfect location...only a block and a half from the Waterfront Metro station and the nicest Safeway Grocery store we've ever seen. And only 0.7 miles to the National Mall. Oh, and we had a view of the Washington Monument from the boat! It was especially pretty when lit up at night.

The showers were perfect and as far as we could tell, no one else ever used them - the marina seemed to be all live-aboards besides us. We had three social invitations within 10 mins of arriving and had happy hour the first evening with the Capital Yacht Club folks.

Despite buying Metro passes and using the heck out of the Metro, we still walked 5-7 miles per day - over 10 one day. But seeing everything we did was worth the aching feet.

We started every day with breakfast at Safeway where our Starbucks coffee was more expensive than the delicious $2.49 breakfast burritos and sandwiches.

I can't describe everything we did and saw without writing a book so I'll list:

-The beautiful National Botanical Gardens.
- Union Station -always impressive.
- Mark Rubio's office for Senate and House passes.
-An all day, extensive tour of the Capital including sitting in on sessions of both the Senate and House.
- US Supreme Court
- Library of Congress
- National Archives
- All day at the well done Spy Museum.
- The historic DC Fish Market where we ordered Chincoteague oysters shucked as we waited as well as fresh shrimp and snow-crabs that were steamed as we waited. And THEN a customer standing beside of us while we were digging in (no seats there), GAVE us their 7 steamed Maryland Blue Crabs that they were too full to finish ...lucky us! ... what a feast we had!
- Rolling Thunder 250,000+ motorcycles, mostly veterans, circling the National Mall showing support for Memorial Day. Incredible. Emotional.
- Several wreath laying ceremonies at various Memorials.
- WWII Memorial while many Korean War veterans were visiting with Honor Flight. We shook their hands and I cried.
- Smithsonian Castle
- American Indian Museum
- The 2 hour patriotic National Memorial Day Parade.
- Changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
- Visit to Casey's parents graves in Arlington National Cemetery.

It was an emotional, moving, and very patriotic visit to our nation's capital.

The other stops we made along the Potomac were delightful as well. Very eerie Mallow Bay - the largest shipwreck fleet in the Western Hemisphere, quaint Colonial Beach, Quantico, with its spectacular Marine Corps Museum, an awesome anchorage on Mattawoman River with bald eagles and great blue herons, Historic and friendly St. Mary's City, and the resort-like Dennis Point Marina in Drayden with its well-placed shade trees by the swimming pool.

Yes, we loved our 2 weeks and 2 days on the historic Potomac.

‎"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Our boat trip photos: http://caseyandmary.smugmug.com
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary & Casey, thanks so much for sharing these wonderful experiences here & on Facebook with us & so many others. The last couple years we've been continually amazed at your travel choices & outcomes. You two already have packed more interesting living into the last couple of years than many do in a lifetime. Keep going & sharing, as we & many others are loving you for it.

Continued best wishes,

J&J

BoaterHomer

City/Region: The Villages
Vessel Name: DESSERT 1st
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jay and Jolee! We hope you two, along with Brent and Dixie, have a wonderful time in Alaska! Of all our adventures, I can't imagine any will ever top that one. Hope you make it to the spectacular Baranoff Warm Springs ... my favorite spot on earth. Safe travels.
Bluechablis

City/Region: Redondo Beach
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Far C'r
Photos: Far C'r
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mary

I was able to fill in some spots from your smug-mug data. Feel free, especially when you are home and remembering your trip, to add your own data or edit anything that I may have gotten wrong on the map, it is editable.

Not only do you travel to cool places you describe it well, thanks!

Far C'r - 2001 Cdory 22
Bluechablis - 1992 NorSea 27
Quarter Note - 1972 Cris Craft Sloop
Palantir - 1971 31 Mariner Ketch (Far Seer in Elvish)
Aphrodite - 42 Ft Schooner Jay Benford Design
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey glad you shared the Luci lights,bought one regular and the colored one. About 6 distinct colors colors can be seen from the one unit,very nice and the one mode they change every few seconds,last night stayed on boat. Everyone liked them on the dock,stopped by where everybody was having a few beers ,now everyone is ordering them.
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We love following your cruise. Bon voyage!
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are cruising northerly, also.

Three weeks ago, camping in AZ wilderness, heart attack for Bill, medical evacuation to Flagstaff, triple bypass, now out of hospital and fly back on commercial plane tomorrow with nurse and oxygen. So we are cruising north with you, buddy, and enjoy reading your tales. Bon voyage. Cheers - El and Bill
Casey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All...

I've been negligent in the posting department.

Bill&El - Very sorry to hear of Bill's heart attack, but things 'sound to have stabilized. Good. Best Wishes for a continued and complete recovery!

After spending a week in WashDC we came back down the Potomac, and up the St Marys River to the college. Spent three nights anchored off the college docks. Spend time ashore walking and seeing the sights; Very nice place. From there it's a short five miles down to Denis Point Marina, an oil change, and waiting for wx for the run around Pt Lookout to the Patuxent River and Solmons, MD. Four nights in Solomons, ride the bus, eat chinese food, visit the Calvert Marine Museum (and Pt Drum light house ... It really IS a (round) house, moved ashore a few years ago). Great town, and more boats than I've ever seen in one place.

From there we continued north to Annapolis, and enjoyed a total of eleven days with friends and exploring on our own. We spent a LOT of time at the naval academy (the model ship collection is amazing ... and Free!). We spent four days on "Ego Alley" right in the heart of downtown Annapolis. What a gas! The tall ship "L'Hermione" arrived while we were there and we managed to tour it (with a few thousand of our newest, sweltering friends...).

We're now over on the eastern shore. The last three days were spent exploring St Michaels, MD and attending the Antique Wooden Boat Show at the Chesapeake Marine Museum. Wow... Talk about some Beautiful (old) boats; simply Amazing. We had an fierce wind/rain/ thunder storm for a while last night - but the anchor held and we managed a-ok. We're currently at the Calhoun MEBA Maritime Engineer Training Center about six miles east of St. Michaels. A friend insisted that we stop-by to see the place ... So here we are.
Tomorrow the plan is to motor up to the Wye River and anchor someplace (probably Dividing Creek).

The trip is going Very well, but I must confess that the heat and HUMIDITY is making me a bit cranky. (Mary's nicer and just says that I'm prone to 'wilting in the humidity.). Whatever - this humidity is amazing; meanwhile, she's Fine. It's NOT fair. 😁. We've discussed a number of options including continuing north to the Erie Canal then flying home in Septmber or October and returning with the truck/trailer rather the retracing the ICW all the way back to Florida. At this point we really don't know what the final answer will be ... but we're considering options. Stay tuned!

Best,
Casey&Mary
Casey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being able to change plans is one of the things that keeps Life interesting.

As readers of this thread already know, we are northbound on the ICW (from Florida). What you don't know is that we've shifted gears and are now headed on farther north ... for the Erie Canal! The NEW plan is to spend time on the Erie then (probably) fly back to FL, retrieve the truck and trailer and trailer the boat home sometime before the snow flies. Logistics and details are still up in the air!

Part of this was driven by the heat/humidity on the Chesapeake (which was killing me), and part was my inclination to not retrace the ICW all the way to Florida. With the new plan it'll all be new ground for us! Frankly, I fear that the heat on the Erie Canal will still be an issue, but at least it will be new territory to explore. (And we understand there are ice cream stands Everywhere!)

We are currently anchored on the NJICW at Surf City, NJ. Tomorrow should find us in Manasquan, NJ and watching the wx for the 27mile outside run up to Sandy Hook, then into NYC for a week of touristing. We're presently planning to stay at "Liberty Landing" (about 1.5mi from the Statue of Liberty).

Today was Day89 with 1835sm since leaving home. So far, it's been a heck of a trip!

Due to the changed plans I plan to open another thread on C-Brats that may find interest or comments from folks up here in the northlands! The new thread will be titled: DESSERT 1st, Northbound -> Erie Canal !

Best,
Casey&Mary
msgchef

City/Region: Washington
State or Province: NC
Photos: Seaweed
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Love the Spirit of Travel Reply with quote

I know many of us are envious. Great Move, Keep the posts coming. Should get a bit cooler Northbound. We travel vicariously thru the two of you.
Wishing you great weather
Paul

But the best ships, are friendships,
And may they always be."

2015-2018 Seaweed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: