The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Dessert 1st, Northbound on the ICW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluechablis

City/Region: Redondo Beach
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Far C'r
Photos: Far C'r
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really looking forward to reading about your adventures and following on a map. Have a great journey

Far C'r - 2001 Cdory 22
Bluechablis - 1992 NorSea 27
Quarter Note - 1972 Cris Craft Sloop
Palantir - 1971 31 Mariner Ketch (Far Seer in Elvish)
Aphrodite - 42 Ft Schooner Jay Benford Design
outbackbill

City/Region: Mocksville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue Days
Photos: Blue Days
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are also heading north on the I.C.W. this Spring. We are doing sections spending about a week at a time or so on the boat. We take out to refuel, resupply and usually trailer camp a day or two. We have already done from St. Simons island to the South Carolina line. We are going up the Savannah river next. Maybe we will run in to you on the water. The Georgia sea islands are great but the sand gnats can be bad. We recommend gnat proof screens and a thermacell.
Bill and Becky
Blue Days
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, the Golden Isles and sand knats are well known to both of us. We both lived in Brunswick/St Simons for ten years ... but in different decades.

We are currently anchored off Kingsley Plantation on the Fort George River. The plantation is a small NPS site devoted to telling the story of plantation life and slavey back in the mid-1800's. Zephaniah Kingsley bought his first (of four) wives at a slave auction in Cuba. Anna was thirteen at the time, and recently arrived from Senegal. Kingsley moved the family (including all four wives and children) to Haiti in 1837 since Florida laws weren't to his liking. ...anyway, it was an interesting stop.

We will probably stop at Fernandina later this morning, and may stay at Cumberlend Island tonight (and maybe tomorrow).

Had a helicopter flying around last night looking for something. About 2000 I could see a helicopter flying about a mile away. The pilot was using an amazingly powerful searchlight and scanning the water and shoreline. We had no idea what they were looking-for (I assume it was the sheriff's office - too small to be a USCG chopper). Anyway, as it got closer we knew they'd soon be checking us out. Sure enough. When it got near us they gave us a good looking-over then flew off. We waved. Very Happy Interesting experience.

Life is Great (well, we could do with a few less noseeums - but they're part ,of the 'package).

Best,
C&M

Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahoy!

We are just NW of Hilton Head Island about 4 miles off the ICW
on the gorgeous May River close to Bluffton, SC.

Been here since Apr 2 but may have to leave before we planned due to a closing
real estate deal. Chances are we'll be gone by the time you get this far north.

When you do go by Hilton Head, a jaunt up the May River is recommended.
Check your charts as there are 8+ foot tides here.

Happy cruising.
By, see ya.

Aye.

Montana Kev

City/Region: Bozeman/Yellowstone
State or Province: MT
Vessel Name: Grace
Photos: Grace
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C&M,

We enjoy following your travel journals, thanks for posting. Very curious to hear at what point the noseeums disappear. Look forward to seeing photos.

Safe Travels,
K&L
Flint

City/Region: Marathon
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Grace Full
Photos: Grace Full
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Chesapeake this summer. Reply with quote

We will be at Maryland Yacht Club the beginning of June for a couple of weeks. The Club is just outside of Balitmore on Rock creek. If you are near stop by. The club does have good rates.
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an interesting ,fun trip. My first and only expierence with noseeums was at Hunting Island State Park. I spent hours throwing a cast net in a back water salt pond,caught some big shrimp and other bait. For three days after that had hundreds of red measle like bumps that itched like crazy.I promised myself never again without first spraying down with off or whatever works on those nasty critters.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never planned a trip around bugs
or how to minimize their effect.

Please inform.

Aye.
Edwin

City/Region: Edmonton
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Lady C
Photos: LADY C
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great adventure
We will have fun following your progress.
Back to the top of the list.
Edwin
Casey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Morning 'Brats!

We decided to stay another day in the "Golden Isles" (Brunswick/St Simons Island, GA) so we could see more friends. (Mary and I each lived here for about ten years, but in different decades ... so there are several good friends in the area.)

RE the noseeums (aka: sand gnats), yea they're bothersome, to say the least. Smaller than a mosquito, so regular screen doesn't do much to keep them at bay. Fortunately, either wind or rain seems to keep them away - and we've had both. And their bite can be very itchy for several days. I don't recall that they subscribe to a particular season other than summer. As for repellents, Avon "Skin So Soft" seems to be the local favorite. (When I worked at FLETC, the firearms instructors would buy the stuff by the gallon for use when they had outdoor classes.) we also have a Thermacell (useful when it's calm), and a good sized fan to create a breeze when it's calm; both seem to help. Mary did quite a lot of research on the flying critter's to explore our options. We chose not to re-screen the boat, but use other alternatives. We felt that screen fine enough to keep-out gnats might also reduce ventilation and we know we'll need ventilation later in the trip when thing get really hot.

Anyway ... We're doing ok for the time being (but the bugs and heat/humidity make us remember the bug free days in Alaska and BC).

We have no firm idea where we'll be tonight - but (probably) somewhere between SSI and Savannah. That's one of the real advantages of our type boats. We have self-sufficiently without over doing it. Being able to conveniently anchor-out (and weathervane into any breeze) is a distinct advantage. We both find it interesting how many folks on larger yacht-class vessels seem to make a point of getting to a marina virtually every night. Sure, companionship, electricity, showers, restaurants are nice ... but really like anchoring-out wherever possible.

Freezer report. I think George and Carolyn have perfected the Dometic freezer routine. As per George's advice, We cut some pieces of unicellular foam (a $7 backpacking pad from Walmart) to create two insulated layers in the freezer portion of the chest. It seems to be working very well. In the bottom we keep frozen vege's and some meat. Next layer up we keep a zip lock bag with some ice cubes, and the top layer holds a Tupperware container with a few cold, but not frozen items. Seems to work well, and the freezer seems to use somewhat less electricity now.

Several folks have asked about pictures. Mary is the photographer. I'm sure she will eventually get around to putting some pictures on C-Brats, but for now she's doing FaceBook for those most part. On FaceBook, look for Mary Burtner Casebeer.

Oops ... Gotta run. The dock person just delivered our daily muffins and newspaper. Guess marina's CAN have some advantages over anchoring-out!

Best,
Casey&Mary
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Dessert 1st, Northbound on the ICW Reply with quote

The gnat situation is gnat right, particularly in New Jersey's spring. There, some recommend buying a generic brand (a little cheaper) of Skin So Soft and mixing it 50/50 with the winter green isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Then apply as needed. We usually apply it with a paper towel and when your done; put the paper towel on your head and add a hat. Just an FYI for when the rain and the wind stop.
D.D.

jimicliff

City/Region: Mount Dora
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ocklawaha Queen
Photos: Ocklawaha Queen
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stayed everywhere Bill and Mary are staying, up to Savannah. I back packed travel my entire life and have rubbed every thing on my skin known to man. Most all of it works fine but I feel dirty not having a shower to get the stuff off. How ever I find the "Thermacell" to be one of the greatest inventions for bugs. Its just like a force field on Star Treck the bugs just dont come thru. All you have to do is put the therma cell unit up wind on you boat and the field floats threw and gives me my force field. If no breese turn your fan on and push your air in the direction you like and their you go. Some hunters wear the thermacell on their belt. The sent is very minimal and be sure to buy plenty of refill cartridges and sent pads. You can get thermacell at Amazon and Walmart.
Pandy Girl

City/Region: Westfield, NC
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pandy Girl
Photos: Pandy Girl
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Great Trip Reply with quote

We are following your trip, Jim & Sandy Jessup
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have found one way to keep those tiny, pesky critters from coming through the screens is to spray bug repellent on them every day or so.

Nick
"Valkyrie"
Casey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good suggestion Nick, but how do you get the pesky critters to remain still long enough to spray them? Smile

Just kidding. We did the same thing when we traveled through Everglades City last year. Frankly, I had forgotten about doing that, and doing it every couple of days would be a good idea.

Best,
C&M
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: