View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stan Major

City/Region: DeLand
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: The Pegstan
Photos: The Pegstan
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:55 am    Post subject: I saw Salty Reply with quote

I was sitting on the dog beach in New Smyrna when I spotted a C-Dory cruising past. It was Salty headed toward Ponce Inlet.
irlboater

City/Region: Melbourne Beach
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Salty
Photos: Salty
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Salty on Second Loop Reply with quote

That was me! I was on day two of my second time around America's Great Loop. I am now in Charleston. I plan to take seven months to complete. This time I will see the Erie Canal to Niagara Falls, backtrack to Oswego, down the St Lawrence to Montreal (instead of the Champlain Canal) and continue through the Rideau and Trent-Severn .
I also intend to travel up the Delmarva Penninsula through Chincoteague and Ocean City instead of up the Chessapeake Bay, although my air draft might stop me just short of Lewes, Delaware. Does anyone have any local knowledge of this route through Chincoteague to Lewes?
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan, I was just wondering what your plans were between Montreal and the Rideau. I discussed my idea of doing a mini loop with a gentleman I met on The Trent last summer. He owned the Rosborough 246 in my Trent album. He was familiar with the area so I mentioned that I would like to start at Kingston - up The Rideau to Ottawa - down the Ottawa River to Montreal then up the St. Lawrence back to Kingston. He told me that was a good trip but that I would want to do it the other way around. Starting from Kingston and going with the current down the St. Lawrence to Montreal then up the Ottawa River to Ottawa and down The Rideau back to Kingston.

He seemed to know what he was talking about so I thought if you went up the Ottawa River from Montreal and down the Rideau you could continue from Kingston to Presqu'ile Bay and take the Murray Canal to the Bay of Quinte and Trenton.

Good luck with your trip and thanks for sharing your stories, I've enjoyed reading of your adventures.

Regards, Rob

irlboater

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My route last time was up the Champlain to St Lawrence and Montreal, up the Ottawa to the Rideau then Kingston to Trenton, the "Gateway to the Trent-Severn Waterway". I never went to Presqu'ile Bay or the Murray Canal. I don't have any recommendations as to which way would be best. Sorry that I can't be more helpful answering your question.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan, sorry I had a brain fart and was thinking of coming from my end of Lake Ontario to Trenton. The Murray Canal joins the western end of The Bay Of Quinte with Presqu'ile Bay on the north shore of Lake Ontario.

From Oswego are you cutting up the east shore of Lake Ontario to the St. Lawrence? Pick a calm day if you are - I've heard that end of the lake can be a rather nasty lee shore in a predominant westerly.

I know of at least one Cbrat in Montreal - his Brat name is Jay@montreal. He has a 22' with green trim and a 90 Honda.

Hope to see some pictures of your trip here.

Regards, Rob
T-sole

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made the trip from Cape Charles to the Delaware Bay via the inside multiple times, as recently as last summer. I have a air draft of 7''6"and water draft of ~ 2'. Lots of reading the water but very doable and well worth the effort. Assawoman Canal has been dredged so all good for water depth and that has the lowest bridges. South of Gargathy Inlet just before entering Metompkin Bay is a wash over and you will have to take a detour. Study Google earth and you while see the way. Time it so you cross Metompkin on a rising tide. Let me know if you have questions.
T-sole

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Irlboater, I should have said when coming north to south just past Gargathy is the wash over......
irlboater

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Delmarva Route Reply with quote

Great local knowledge. Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: