The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Givens ocean survival raft for sale
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Pup16 in Los Angeles

City/Region: Los Angeles
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Pup
Photos: C-Pup
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Givens ocean survival raft for sale Reply with quote

Hello C-Brats with big CDs you take to sea.... When I bought my 16 ft C-Dory ("C-Pup16 in Los Angeles") in 2003, I wanted a survival raft to save my wife and me from a sinking/capsize crisis at sea. Being a newbie, I ordered a Givens off-shore survival raft in the photo linked below. It is in a valise and has been re-certified in 2011. Although this is an expired certification for commercial vessels, it is still probably good for use. I paid $3200 for it new. I will sell it for $1000 plus shipping costs.

My Givens proved to be a real life saver. It is so big for my 16 ft CD that I had to remove the passenger seat and use that space for it, forcing my wife to say at home (which she prefers). That gave me the solitude and quiet at sea that I seek. Use it for this purpose or its conventional use. I have replaced it with a smaller, lighter briefcase size small raft that will do for a tiny boat.

My cell # in Los Angeles is 213-700-0080. Call or text me. ~ Keith Dager

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=C-Pup16&id=KDAGER_s_Survival_Raft&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

also

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=C-Pup16&id=blue_bag_is_Givens_survival_raft&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That raft would be great for any C Dory who wants to cross over to Hawaii, or the Atlantic to Europe!

Good luck on the sale.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
C-Pup16 in Los Angeles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Lowing price to $950; e-Bay ad for Givens Off-Shore raft Reply with quote

I lowered the price to $950 and here's the eBay ad. I know only a large C-Dory traveling long distances down the coast would be interested. At the Catalina gathering, one boat came down (by sea) from Seattle, handling the big swells and unpredictable weather. That's my prospective buyer, not a Sunday harbor cruise C-Dory owner. There's 1 1984 27' diesel C-Dory for sale (saw on C-Brats) that I wish I could own and take to the outer islands... where I sure as heck would want a Givens raft in the cockpit.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121607695497?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowing price to $950; e-Bay ad for Givens Off-Shore raf Reply with quote

C-Pup16 in Los Angeles wrote:
At the Catalina gathering, one boat came down (by sea) from Seattle, handling the big swells and unpredictable weather.

I would be very impressed by a C Dory which came from Seattle to Caalina--but I wonder if you are not referring to the Venture/Cape Cruiser 26 which has come several times from San Francisco--impressive in itself!
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck with the sale. Having some 10,000'plus offshore miles I would still choose a good dinghy over the mis named life raft if my boat was to depart. A dinghy can be rowed, motored or sailed under jury rig toward land and a raft just drifts passively awaiting a potential rescue. Stories of rafts drifting past islands are out there. See Steve Callahans story, a good dinghy would have had him ashore much sooner. I wouldn't get aboard a life raft if a dinghy was nearby.
Make sure you list it with Craig list and Blue water cruising sites. They may provide a sale
The c dory while not impossible to sink, is likely able to withstand almost any impact due to it's lightweight strong construction. I would not like to have to carry a raft around for a "just in case".
George
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to unload the raft that came with my boat since i bought it, there doesn't appear to be a big market for life rafts.

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith, You never fail to crack me up.... you lighten my load...

I bet you never let your wife read that....

Yer Pal
Joel
SEA3PO
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghone wrote:
Best of luck with the sale. Having some 10,000'plus offshore miles I would still choose a good dinghy over the mis named life raft if my boat was to depart. A dinghy can be rowed, motored or sailed under jury rig toward land and a raft just drifts passively awaiting a potential rescue.

I have carried life rafts when ocean racing, including Transpacs, and various Mexican races, because they are required. However, I agree with George about the use of a life raft on a cruising boat. We had a 10' hard dinghy which was "unsinkable"would fit inside of our 13 foot Achillies inflatable, which had C02 bottles for rapid inflation fitted to it, and was packed with survival gear, as well as 2 EPRIBs aboard.

But the Givens offshore raft is a very good life raft!
Here is a photo of Keith's boat--certainly the best equipped C Dory 16!

C-Pup16 in Los Angeles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Givens survival raft price reduction Reply with quote

I reduced my ask price to $849 plus shipping cost. UPS priced shipping it from Los Angeles to New York City at $123 which includes insurance for $1,000. The cost by USPS is below $100. Shipping to shorter routes should be cheaper. Available for pick up a in Los Angeles or at Catalina Island during C-Dory week in August.

Again, this is intended mainly for the 25 foot boat which does long coastal trips by sea or in cold water where they could get caught in a storm or swamped by a rouge wave. There is no comparison to using a dingy for a survival raft in those circumstances. Your enemy is cold water and wind. Just see the video at
https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A2KIo9du.SJVgWUA2AL7w8QF;_ylu=X3oDMTEwZzVqZmppBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDVklEMDEEZ3BvcwM1?p=Givens+Marine+Survival+Raft&vid=a5d946f9889430c9208cc7598402a0d9&l=00%3A59&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DVN.608037747518737620%26pid%3D15.1&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DPegZQKxS7gM&tit=Life+Raft+Comparison+by+the+U.S.+Coast+Guard&c=4&sigr=11bfhshuc&sigt=11cfim2u2&sigi=11r8olhcq&age=1250083436&fr2=p%3As%2Cv%3Av&fr=aaplw&tt=b
C-Pup16 in Los Angeles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Given's survival raft listing Reply with quote

Here's the revised Craig's list listing:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/bpo/4966623168.html
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kushtaka is asking about a survival suit for an infant--your raft would be ideal for him--and would be a great use of the raft! Send him a PM.
C-Pup16 in Los Angeles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:19 am    Post subject: eBay listing Reply with quote

Thanks Thataway...

Here's the eBay listing found under:

Life Raft Givens Buoy 2~4 man model #6XTV-05

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121613053370?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
C-Pup16 in Los Angeles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:39 am    Post subject: Thataway Bob... you kind soul Reply with quote

Thanks Bob for the pictures and for the suggestion. Most people think they'll make do with a dingy. Bad idea. You don't get swamped on a calm day.

As to C-Pup's equipment, I added underwater squid lights to net or snag bait at night, and a WIFI antenna to pick up free WIFI on shore so I can use my boat while on the Catalina sting line as a remote office.

The next thing I want to get is an underwater camera to attach to the downrigger, to watch for fish following my fishing rig.

Now that I replaced the Givens with a light weight donut life raft I can tie to the roof, I'll have room to install a Lazy Boy massage chair in the cockpit!

Be well,
Keith
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things I like about this raft is that it is built expressly for helicopter rescue. The Jay Hawk and Dolphin helos the USCG boys use around here are bigger than most helos and make a heckuva wash. They generally have to put divers in farther away, but with this one they could winch someone right out of the raft. That means less chance of a swim, which is a pretty big deal.

I've asked the Admiral/CFO to approve, but she's pretty tight with the war chest these days. However she wants the kid on the boat more than I do (because she knows she's going to get left behind too!) so we shall see...
C-Pup16 in Los Angeles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:50 am    Post subject: act or it may be gone Reply with quote

Someone says he's mailed me a certified check for my ask price. If so, (remains to be seen), then it's sold when the check can be cashed at the bank it's drawn on. Remains to be seen... but just saying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: