View previous topic :: View next topic  
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Any filters in a CD25's water system?? Reply with quote

One of my projects lately has been to repair minor leaks and blockages in my CD25 water system. I am finding that various small pieces of material are getting lodged in the fittings in some parts of the system. This impedes the water flow -- at times to a mere trickle. Most strange are the small hard "beads", that look like tiny pearls, which especially enjoy getting themselves lodged in one-way valves. These "beads" are maybe 2 or 3 times the size of a grain of sand.

Anyway, does anyone know if there are any filters in a CD25's water system? I've looked and can't find any. I'm thinking of installing perhaps fuel filters in the hot and cold lines to catch whatever gunk might be present.

P.S. If anyone has an idea of what these "beads" might be, I'd be interested in hearing your ideas.
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is likely a filter attached on or near your water pump. Mine is incorporated into the Flojet housing. The beads may be "hard water" deposits, maybe calcium maybe just crud? Give a good flush to the system.
George
beermanPDX

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Photos: Jean Marie
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no real filter on my 25, but there is an "inlet strainer". The inlet strainer looks like its part of the pump, but it's really a separate component. It should be what the water hose connects to. Mine looks similar to this:

Mine is mounted on its side, right to the pump inlet. The top spins off and you clean out the metal screen.

Are your white beads all the same size...i.e., man-made or "natural"?

Rob
2008 25 Cruiser - Sold
2002 Nordic Tug 32/4 - Sold
1989 40 Tollycraft Sport Sedan
Dan McNally

City/Region: Bothell
Vessel Name: Shannon- Colleen
Photos: Shannon-Colleen
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like hard water to me, I used to get them in my camper toilet. They would collect in the last fitting and impede the water flow when you needed it most. It was a bummer removing toilet to get at the fitting to clean out, it would happen about every five years. So I started checking it before trips and fixing it before it became a problem.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are all sorts of filters for a water system. My 25 had a fine mesh screen sediment filter between the water tank and the pump. Par/Japsco makes such a filter. There are many in line RV filters such as above, which will fit in line. They are good for several thousand gallons, and will remove most taste, odors and sediments of i micron or more in size.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Any filters in a CD25's water system?? Reply with quote

We don't have a 25 but I would recommend you get an inline filter on the hose you fill the boat up with and always use it.. The sediment screens in faucets and in water supply lines are a source of issues. Like I have no water! Then clean sediment screens. Then it's, look Ma there's nothing wrong with our fresh water pump. Some folks pull the filters after the pump to eliminate the issues except for the last one on the faucet which is easily blown out.
D.D.

smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are your white beads all the same size...i.e., man-made or "natural"?

I don't think they are man-made. They look like they are the result of some sort of deposition process; however, it is striking that they are as roughly spherical as they are, and that they are so similar in size.

We do have mildly hard water here on this island that the previous owner and I live on. So the water tanks have often been filled with "hard-ish" water; so certainly that could be the source of the calcium or whatever the underlying substance is. The beads are quite hard (as a calcium deposit would be I suppose). I tried to bite one once with my teeth, and gave up when I thought my tooth might be damaged before the bead Laughing.

Thanks all for the tips of where to look for a filter. I was looking for a separate unit somewhere in line in a hose. I will look at the water pump etc. I'll post here what I find.
smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sounds like hard water to me, I used to get them in my camper toilet.

Dan, do you mean by "them" these little, roughly spherical, hard as a rock, pure white beads?
Dan McNally

City/Region: Bothell
Vessel Name: Shannon- Colleen
Photos: Shannon-Colleen
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is what I mean. The ones I encountered had more then one color though and where slightly larger then a grain of sand. They never caused any real issues until they would restrict the function of the toilet. They did not damage any thing they just stopped the water flow.
rjmcnabb

City/Region: Pender Island (Southern Gulf Islands)
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Luna
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,
Do you use a water softener? Yours sound suspiciously like resin beads.
Rod

Rod & Jane; Victoria 18 sloop (Vickie) - gone; Islander 26 Bahama sloop (Callisto) - gone; WW Potter 19 sloop (Spring) - gone; Com-Pac 16 sloop (Bummer II) - gone; Nimble 24 yawl (Chatelaine) - gone; Nimble Vagabond cruiser (Loligo) - gone; C-Dory 22 Cruiser (NoddyBleu) - gone; Com-Pac 19 sloop ('Winkle) - gone; San Juan 24 sloop (Loligo^2) - gone; C-Dory 16 cruiser (Luna); Catalina Capri 18 sloop (Later)
smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beermanPDX said:

Quote:
There is no real filter on my 25, but there is an "inlet strainer".

I have no such filter/strainer near the pump; nor can I find any sort of filter/strainer anywhere in the water lines from the tank to the last fitting.

The original factory installed FloJet water pump must have been replaced by the previous owner. There is a Jabsco Par Max 2.9 installed now. I'm going to assume that the water filter/stainer beermanPDX speaks of was removed at that time (likely to create more room near the hot water heater).

I will check around for a new Jabsco, or Shurflo, or other water filter/strainer to install (assuming I can squeeze it in somewhere).
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy,
If it is just an inline type filter it could possibly be installed in the compartment under the dining table. The hose from the tank runs along the port side to the pump.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several places where the filter can be installed, but be sure it is before the pump.

One thought about filtering water you put in the tanks, of C Dorys: you want to not use a Charcoal type of filter, which removed chlorine. I want to have the residual chlorine to avoid any bad guys from growing in the tank. However, I do use a particulate filter when filling tanks on boats and RV's. In line when from the water tank, or with a Brita filter, we do filter the final drinking water.
smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If it is just an inline type filter it could possibly be installed in the compartment under the dining table.

Nope. I've looked thoroughly from the water tank to the pump. It's possible I guess, but I can't imagine I missed it.

My guess is that you had to remove it when you replaced the water pump (2012?). I'm going to guess that the Jabsco ParMax you used to replace the FloJet was bigger, and given the additional pink hard insulation around the water heater, there just wasn't room for a filter. My plan is to install a filter in that compartment under the dining table. It looks like there is room there.

BTW, I'm presuming the lack of a filter/strainer is the reason that I have been having problems with water flow to the galley due to clogged fixtures (all fixed now).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: