Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leon

City/Region: Terrace
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea Nile
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: 23ft venture weight Reply with quote

The C-dory site says the average weight of a loaded 23 ft venture c-dory with trailer is around 5000lbs.........can anyone confirm that??
The C-dory site says the 25ft c-dory is around 4800lbs and I have heard this is way off......so asking about the 23 ft Venture

Thank you

Leon Smile
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. I figure our fully cruise loaded 22 at 4800-5,000 including trailer of 1050 lbs. the 23 weighs close to 800- 1,000 lbs more. So figure on 5800-6,100 Fully loaded including trailer. You'll be safe at these numbers. A 23 owner will chime in I'm sure. Some folks run lighter but these figures are full fuel, water, groceries, gear, dinghy crew (2) etc. the factory numbers are bare hull and deck as they leave the factory I believe, absolutely no final rigging out. That number on the 25 is way off. More likely 7500-8000 according to owners.
Are you looking for a 23? Welcome aboard!
George
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: 23ft Venture Weight Reply with quote

2008 Venture 23 sitting on an Aluminum Float On trailer with 150 hp Yamaha four stroke, not much gas or water in boat.
D.D

williwaw

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Williwaw
Photos: Williwaw
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boat + trailer is about 5400 for everyday cruising. Add a few hundred pounds more if going out for an extended cruise.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we weighed our boat (not a 23), I put the tongue jack on one section of the scale, the dual axles on another section, to get the true weight (including tongue weight). Yes, you have to disconnect, but it gives you a more accurate representation of your towing weight. Separate front and rear axle weight on the truck, too.
tcr_pnw

City/Region: Puget Sound
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Photos: Sea Star
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trailer around 5,300-5,500 with twins and a med/med-light load
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject: weight of 23 Venture Reply with quote

We have weighed our 23 cape cruiser venture(2900lb) a few years back going up to Tenn. it weighed in at 5100 lb. this was with canvas and bedding and a small 5000 btu A/C with an alum tandem trailer (1100 lb.)with a f-115 Yamaha (405 lb )
The cape cruiser is about 200 lb less then the CD venture .the venture were a little more finished inside . I think if you use 5000 lb to 5500lb you should be good .
Also most of the CD ventures have 135-150 hp outboards extra 70lb or more plus extra small kicker engines 150lb plus another 200lb for the CD venture series .Jim

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
My IRA

City/Region: Springfield
C-Dory Year: 2013
Vessel Name: Aidiam
Photos: My IRA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our 2013 Venture with full fuel and water but medium equipment load weighed 5150lb.
1992 C-Dory 22 Cruiser sold 8/96
1992 OLympic 26XLF Sold 10/2000
1989 Arima 19 SR sold 2003
2004 C-Dory 25 sold 10/05
1992 Bounty 25 Offshore Pilot sold 6/2010
2006 Arima 17 SC sold 9/2012
2013 C-Dory 23 Venture
Leon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking into buying a 23 ft venture, I was hoping to pull it with a toyota tacoma, rated to pull 6400lbs....... I just really like a smaller pickup. Easier to back up, easier to park, easier to get stuff out of the box........ thank you for the information...... thinking I need a bigger truck.
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 23 is likely too close to your trucks rated tow limit. The 22 may be fine. I have many thousands of miles towing the 22 with a '07 F150 Lariat with no problems. I originally towed my 22 with a B4000 4x4 Mazda truck with a 6 cyl. Rated 5000. No problem towing it when new and light. A worry Stopping it when loaded. Oh my!! . Hence the F150.
Enjoy the search. The 23 is also a fine boat.
George
RobMcClain

City/Region: Summerlin, NV
State or Province: NV
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon, we tow our '06 Cape Cruiser Venture 23 with a 2008 Toyota Sequoia. It is rated to tow 8500 pounds (and with the factory tow package it can tow up to 9500). While it is a large SUV, the cavernous interior holds everything locked safe and sound. To my surprise, I have found the Sequoia to be very nimble. It drives like a small vehicle with a nice tight turning radius. It also has large brakes that help to safely stop the heavy load. We've towed the boat thousands of miles and through a wide range of environments, and we've never encountered any sort of issue. If you decide to consider a larger vehicle you might want to take a look at a Sequoia. Good luck!

Rob
williwaw

City/Region: Portland
Vessel Name: Williwaw
Photos: Williwaw
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tow our CC23 with a Tacoma rated at 6500 lbs and it works fine. I did install electric-over-hydraulic brakes and it made a HUGE difference in stopping power (even works backing down ramp!).

Of course it would be nicer to have a larger truck (or boat?) but everything is a trade-off, right? The smaller truck is easier to park on our street the 99% of the time when I'm not towing. And with my setup I don't feel safety is an issue at all. When I'm towing I can definitely tell the boat is back there but the V6 seems to have plenty of power (it probably has more HP than an older V8 ).

Now if I was regularly going over the Rockies then I'd probably be singing a different song but for the casual towing I do now it's fine.
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: 23ft venture weight Reply with quote

We have towed our boat about 40 thousand miles. From Pa out to Flaming Gorge Yellowstone Grand Teton and up to Bayfield on Lake Superior about a 6000 mile round trip. Numerous trips to Florida, Maine etc. We use a 3/4 ton Chevy with a Duramax Allison transmission combo. Some might see a 3/4 ton pickup with a diesel as an over kill. But the extra engine braking, electric over hydraulic brakes and a truck that weighs more than the boat made for relaxed towing and having plenty of punch to pass the Slowski's on two lane roads while pulling the boat. We get anywhere from 11 to 17 mpg pulling the boat. A lot better than our gas v-8 powered 1/2 ton former pickup. No issues with cross winds and semi's. What was really nice is when we decided to go with a Ranger R-27 our current truck will pull it just fine. We don't use our truck as a daily driver. I use an 07 Honda Civic for my daily beater. That keeps the mileage on the truck down. We have less than 60 k on an 09 truck and I think the truck do fine till the end of our boating days. So my advice is if you stay close to the porch anything will do. But if your intent is to travel and take advantage of everything this country has to offer. The G.M. Duramax certainly to us is a great road warrior. I think an 8' bed and the extended cab adds to the wheelbase and they track better and ride better. Besides you have plenty of room for all you stuff so you don't have to over load the boat while traveling. Just my opinion.
D.D.
Leon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes.......a big truck would work great to just tow the boat, but over 99% of the time it will just be hauling me around. I like to be able to get into smaller parking spots, going to haul firewood, move that odd fridge and stove, haul some grocerys.......and with that would like a truck I don't need a ladder to get into the back of the truck. I had a 3/4 ford standard pickup to haul my last home built 18ft boat with, then I got an automatic ford ranger, way way easier to back up the boat with the ranger. Easier to haul firewood, had to make more trips, but that was all in the fun. So still leaning towards the little Tacoma pickup......
Bluez Cruz

City/Region: Philomath
Vessel Name: Noro Lim
Photos: Noro Lim
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the notion of E/hydraulic. We also tow with a Toyota Sequoia (2005) 6400lb max tow rating. It handles and tows fine but I couldn't imagine not having the e/hy brake system. Prime example was a very slick ramp at low tide in Newport Oregon. Backing down that snot with our 23' Cape Cruiser fully loaded would have been down right scary (no vehicle weight to counter ramp angle and lack of traction). Plus I like being able to stomp the breaks and have the boat unload like my drift boat Mr. Green
-Mark Twain

Diligence is the mother of good fortune, and idleness, its opposite, never brought a man to the goal of any of his best wishes.
-Miguel de Cervantes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: