View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan McNally

City/Region: Bothell
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Shannon- Colleen
Photos: Shannon-Colleen
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Transducer for a Lcx-104c Reply with quote

I have been having intermittent problems with my depth sounder. I would lose bottom or get a faded screen with no definition while trolling. The angst and the loss of gear prompted me do some research to see if it could be the transducer that was failing. I have contacted Microtech marine group located in Oak Harbor Ohio and the repair person was very helpful. He returned my call with in the hour and walked me through repair options and some trouble shooting that could be done before shipping to see if it was the transducer. I have done what he suggested and listen to the transducer while out of the water, I did not hear the clicking that should have been present if the unit was sending a signal.
The long and the short of it is I was able to find a transducer and will replace it when it arrives, finding a transducer for the year unit I have was a bit of a chore as they are obsolete and I think that has more to do with the manufacturers bent for a throw away and replace rather then support their products mentality.
I do have one question for the c-brat group and wondered if any one else had used a replacement transducer and if so how long it had lasted. Not to get hung up on the new vs old technology argument but it just seems that the manufacturer would support their products longer then they do. I came away with feeling that unit was obsolete the day it was installed. I like the unit and it does every thing I need so I took a risk and spent $70:00 for repair vs possibly $1500.00 for a new type unit.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the transducers used in the depth sounder/fishfinder market are OEM'd by Airmar. You can buy transducers directly from them. Maybe you can find what you want there.

http://www.airmartechnology.com/
Dan McNally

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was aware of that site and checked there. They did not have what I needed. I was lucky and found "new" old stock that I have already purchased. Just waiting to receive it so I can install.
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some mfg's are better than others for long term compatibility. Both Garmin and Humminbird are very good at non obsolescence. The Humminbird 160 is virtually unchanged in 10 years as an example. L and R brands, not so much.
I am not an early adopter of new technology for this reason. Customers are well known as the product testers of some brands.
Hope the t'ducer fixes your issue. I assume you've checked voltage issues, clean power supply, grounds etc? Try moving the power supply to a buss bar if it is currently onto a switch. Often it's a voltage issue.
George
Dan McNally

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good suggestions George and I did that. I will know more after I change out the old transducer for the one that is coming.
Dan McNally

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The transducer I replaced works just fine, I went crabbing yesterday and it worked like brand new. The screen could be set so that the crab pot and line could be seen as you lowered the pot and place it with confidence. Three limits (15) crab in several hours.
The day was not all roses though, I think the LGC-12W gps antenna failed, it would not lock on to any satellites, I did a soft reset no such luck, I did a hard reset no good either. I have found only one place that will sell a different type antenna that is compatible with the Lcx-104c unit I have. It will cost about $120.00 for the replacement antenna because Lowrance does not support the 12w receiver any longer. It seems that nobody makes them or repairs them. If some one has information to the contrary let me know, I gladly would investigate the source and see if it would work for me.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the GPS antennas were a weak point. I had to replace one.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: