The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

August 2 to 8 - 14th Annual Catalina Off-Shore Adventure
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris,
Thanks for the updated information--sort of the price of doing business! Inflation definitely. I recollect that several years ago the string tie was $14 a night--but there may have been some week long break in the price.

Good to hear the bridge is fixed!

As for the second street ramp--Called the Davies or 2nd street, it is concrete ramp. I have used it hundreds of times. There are several other sand ramps, which are for beach cat type of boats only--basically hand powered dollies or trailers.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typically launch from the Cabrillo Beach ramp (San Pedro) when going to either the Isthmus or Avalon, about 20nm to either. Sometimes, I'll launch from Marina Del Rey because it is a better angle to the prevailing wind/waves or I'm with "the group", but it is a 30nm trip on the water then.

Cabrillo charges $12/day and has plenty of parking places for both tow vehicle and trailer. They don't allow overnight sleeping in your boat, most marinas don't, but if you call ahead to the Harbor Dept, there is a free anchorage area a few hundred yards from where you launch. If you don't call ahead or forget, you might be awakened at 2-3am AND receive a complementary boat inspection(!)--don't ask how I know... I've never had a security problem there, but I've heard of others having it on this forum, lucky I guess. They've also beefed up their patrols and gate entrances substantially in the last 5 years or so.

Oh, and they shut off their fresh water washdown spigots several years ago (or they broke and didn't fix them), drought has now dictated much of this now. They only have a single dock (it's long though), but many boaters launch to the side to allow 2-3 to launch/retrieve at the same time.

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, my description was screwed up. I've used that ramp for a long time, since it was an easy drive down from Pasadena and I do know it's concrete. However the last time we launched there, 2 years ago, there was sand covering the ramp. Sort of like having ball bearings under your tires.

Obviously we got out, but there are easier ramps to use. And they may have cleaned it, but not the last time we looked.

Steve, we've used Cabrillo to launch since we belong to CBYC. Glad to see they reduced the price since we paid $15/day, with an extra day thrown in by the computer. No arguing if we wanted to get out. It's certainly the closest to the Isthmus, 22 nmi from the ramp to the string line. Sorry we'll miss you.

Boris
Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris, thanks, but I didn't sleep well last night. Rechecked my receipt from 4th July w/e (actually 5th, 6th, 7th) and it was $15/day -- my brain must have still been in 2014...not unusual Smile.

In addition, the parking booth personnel seem to be very diligent and honest, they take a fair amount of time calculating (by hand) if a partial day can be taken rather than a full day, mine was $40 total for 3 days (arrived 10am Sunday, left 5pm Tuesday). Not sure how they arrived at that, but this is typical.
Pedromo

City/Region: Oxnard
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Casa
Photos: C-Casa
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Kath, Jim, et-al:
Please include C-Casa in your list. Eileen will be with me for 2 days, but she needs to return home to host out of town visitors, I plan to stay the week.
The "Port of Departure" will be dictated by the weather forecast. We'll sail from Channel Islands Harbor or Marina del Rey. More on this later.
Floyd, please make sure Bernie loads up with enough wine and Tequila to keep us in good spirits.
Looking forward to visiting with everyone.
Pedro
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wish i could go guys. I'm out to sea but not for fun.

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My schedule for that week is changing faster than my underwear... We have another round of Eastern guests arriving late the week before and staying 10 days. The current plan is to go camping Friday (7/31) thru Monday (8/3), then perhaps head to Catalina on Tuesday and stay thru Thursday. So for now, don't plan on extra mouths to feed on Monday if a potluck is on the itinerary.
Jim Gibson

City/Region: Sacramento
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: Pounder
Photos: Pounder
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below is our current attendance for the upcoming Catalina Off-shore Adventure:

1. Jim & Kath - Pounder
2. John & Robbin - Dinner Belle II
3. Steve & Carmen - Dora-Jean
4. Kent & Marcia - Marcia Jane
5. Floyd & Eiko - FarC'r
6. Heinz & Diane - Lighthouse Express
7. Bernie - Altair
8. Joel & Susan - SEA3PO
9. Pedro & Eileen - C-Casa
10. Bob & Marie - Thataway.

This is a good turnout as we now are at double digit boats! Some of the above boats may be there part of the time, and some of the boats will be there all of the time.

We thus have approximately 19, or more, attendees. Others are welcome to come, just please indicate your intent.

If you are on the above list, and you are not coming, please let us know. If you are not on the above list, and you are coming, please say so.

This year, like last year, we are having a more informal kickoff on Sunday, August 2nd. In the past most everyone has met in MDR on Sunday for a get together before we all go over on Monday morning. This year, like last year, some attendees are leaving at different times and locations, but most everyone will be together on Monday, August 3rd at Two Harbors. Because of the complexity of meeting everyone’s specific different departure times and locations, we are not formally coordinating the Sunday departure this year.

Kath and I will arrive in MDR Sunday late afternoon with the John and Robbin. We will then go over to Two Harbors on Monday morning, August 3rd.

For those that plan to meet at Marina Del Ray (MDR) on Sunday, late afternoon, August 2nd, please indicate so. Any of those in this group, who want to, can go out to dinner together on Sunday night at MDR.

Pounder and Dinner Belle II will proceed to Two Harbors on Monday morning, August 3rd, leaving MDR at approximately 7:00 AM. When we get to Two Harbors we will obtain “string line” reservations close to shore, and together. We will coordinate this reservation on the way over via communication on VHF Channel 69.

Most of us will return from Two Harbors on early Saturday morning, August 8th. Again, we will leave Two Harbors at approximately 7:00 AM on that Saturday.

On Monday night, August 3rd, we will have group pot luck on the beach. Each boat should plan on bringing a dish to share with the group. Everyone is to bring their own drinks to the beach party Monday.

During the week of August 3rd for our activities we may have a fishing trip (and an associated fish fry), a sightseeing trip to Avalon, a scuba diving or snorkeling trip, a kayak excursion along the shore, hikes around the Island, and/ or a bicycle trip around Two Harbors. On Friday night, August 7th, for those that want to, we usually have a group dinner together at the Harbor Reef Restaurant.

For many aging C-Dory folks, it will be sufficient to just relax on their boats. This activity includes watching the sun rise, and set, and enjoying the perfect 75 degree weather in flip-flops, shorts, and t-shirts.

Some folks eat breakfast over at the Galley Grill in the morning, and most eat light lunches and dinners on their own boats. Often times there will be mid-afternoon drinks over at the Harbor Reef Saloon or the Banning House Lodge. Some folks often host a happy hour during the week on their boats. There is a good grocery store at Two Harbors where one can buy most anything needed and replenish ice every few days.

Be sure to bring a good functioning tender to this event, as a big part of this venue is getting to, and from, the dingy dock, and cruising around to all the other boats and visiting. A functioning small outboard on the tender really helps. Also, bring quarters for the pay showers, another key to happy Island life!

Regarding food assignments for our Monday night pot luck BBQ on the beach we need volunteers for the following types of dishes:

A. Steaks or tri tip to BBQ – Jim and Kath
B. Spaghetti and meat sauce or some other main dish – need volunteer
C. Cheese, chips, and dip, etc. for pre-dinner snacks – need volunteer
D. Potato or macaroni pasta salad – need volunteer
E. Green salad and dressing – need volunteer
F. Garlic bread and corn and butter and aluminum foil – need volunteer
G. Dessert (ice cream from the store) and cookies – need volunteer.

We have 10 vessels on this journey, though not all of them may be there Monday night. There are at least seven (7) opportunities to volunteer for a food assignment above. For any other vessel(s), please make your own suggested food contributions. Please sign up now for your potluck assignment!

If anyone needs to check in regarding logistics on this trip they may call me on my cell telephone number (916) 799-0286.

Lighthouse Express

City/Region: Auburn, CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Lighthouse Express
Photos: Lighthouse Express
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

We will bring the macaroni pasta salad...

kmcclish

City/Region: Santa Maria
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Marcia Jane
Photos: Marcia Jane
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

Marcia and I will be glad to bring Cheese, Crackers, Potato Chips, Corn Chips, dip and Salsa. We're really looking forward to this gathering!

Kent
MARCIA JANE
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thisaway, thataway, whichaway, will bring pasta salad with crab and shrimp. (We will definitely be there on the 3rd--may go over on the 2nd?), but will come from Huntington Harbor. We may have one of two rug rats aboard (Deven or Maya)..?? unknown about those, but they eat little.
Pedromo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Casa will bring the green salad and dressings .
We look forward to visiting with everyone!!
Bluechablis

City/Region: Redondo Beach
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Far C'r
Photos: Far C'r
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update from us. Bernie will not be able to join the adventure. Eiko and I have been the primary caregiver to her 96 yr old Uncle but we are hopeful that we can join the group at least until Tues. But just in case we won't volunteer for any of the potluck dishes in case something comes up and we can't make it. However we will bring some wine for the get together on Mon evening!

Far C'r - 2001 Cdory 22
Bluechablis - 1992 NorSea 27
Quarter Note - 1972 Cris Craft Sloop
Palantir - 1971 31 Mariner Ketch (Far Seer in Elvish)
Aphrodite - 42 Ft Schooner Jay Benford Design
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just realized that we had offered a sea food pasta salad, and Lighthouse Express had already volunteered pasta.

We will switch to Garlic Bread and Corn, with foil and butter. If you would rather have us bring something different, please let me know.
Pedromo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case you didn't know:

"Print
Bookmark
Email
Marina del Rey public boat launch ramp is located at 13477 Fiji Way (Basin H). Enter the lot from Fiji Way, one and a half blocks west of Lincoln Boulevard.
FEES:
When unstaffed, please pay at the pay station located at the entrance, which accepts bills, coins, and credit cards (Visa and Mastercard). The fee includes launching, recovery, and 24-hour parking.

Vehicles with trailers - $12.50 (24 hours)
Vehicles only - $9.50 (24 hours)
All vehicles must have receipt displayed face up on driver's side dashboard at all times while parked.
PARKING FOR LONGER THAN 48 HOURS (but for no more than 7 days within a 30-day period):
Call the Department of Beaches and Harbors’ extended stay number at (310) 305-9534, and leave the following information requested below:
Your name
Description of vehicle
Car and trailer license plate numbers
Arrival and departure dates
Your phone number
Reason for extension over 48 hours
NOTE: Anyone leaving a message from a cell phone must ensure that reception is completely clear. If the information left on the message system is not clear and the necessary information cannot be obtained, you may receive a citation. The Department will not waive any citations nor be held responsible for towing charges or recovery of any vehicles/vessels.
WARNING: Parking for over 7 days within a 30-day period is prohibited. Vehicles that are parked for more than 7 days within a 30 day period may be cited/towed.
Dinghy Launch Ramp and Storage
A public dinghy launch ramp is available at 4101 Admiralty Way, at Marina Beach. There is no fee to launch, but there is a fee to park in Lot #10. For dinghy storage information, please call the Boating Section at (310) 301-9152.
For more information, contact Modern Parking, Inc.
Phone: (310) 821-1081
Hours: 8 am - 5 pm, Monday - Sunday " .oo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: