View previous topic :: View next topic  
westward

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Tow vehicle advice sought Reply with quote

Greetings!
I'm starting to think about a new tow vehicle and would like to get thoughts about 4WD vs. 2WD with locking rear differential. The latter configuration is available on the mid-side pickups and would seem sufficient for pulling the boat out of the water at the ramp. I don't have any experience using such a system. For years I used a 2WD Econoline van as my tow vehicle for a much heavier Glasply. I always made it out but there were a few frustrating retrievals where the drive wheel spun. Now I have 4WD but hardly ever need it, and almost never use it during normal driving. The 4WD adds resale but costs much more up front and reduces fuel economy by a considerable amount. I'm looking at a Toyota Tacoma or Chevy Colorado but open to other choices. My tow weight is appx. 3,500#. I kind of don't want a full size pickup for parking/maneuvering reasons but they're now about the same price and MPG as the mid-size trucks. Thoughts? Thanks, Mike.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low tide retrieval can mean slimy algae covered ramps. I've occasionally struggled to get traction with my full size 4x4 pickup, and at least once would have buried myself in the mud in low tide without 4x4.

A locker on the rear is a huge improvement. I have air lockers on an old 4x4 we have fun with, and just rear wheel drive with the locker engaged is equivalent to 4x4 off road. On a ramp though, I think its the front drive wheels that have a less slippery footing which claw the truck and trailer up the ramp.

If your selective about when you use the ramp, you probably will never have any trouble with 2 wheel drive and a locker
Easyvictor.14

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Easy Victor
Photos: Easy Victor
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old adage, "better to have it an not need it than need it and not have it" comes to mind!
Any mid or full size pickup with 4wd will make launching and retrieving much easier anywhere you go. Limited slip rear differential is good, but if the ramp is slimy, you'd be much better off in 4wd.

Ram trucks has a 1/2ton diesel called EcoDiesel, does everything the Hemi V8 does but gets 23-28Mpg.
I have one, best truck I've ever owned! (And I've owned almost all of them!)

1981 T Craft 26 center console
1981 Silverton 34
1979 Chapparal 187
Many, many other small aluminum, wood and fiberglass toys!!!
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Tis an age-old question...

My take - I don't buy trucks for gas mileage, and since they're not my primary vehicle losing 1-2MPG is insignificant given the utility 4WD provides.

And, there will almost certainly come a day you need that 4WD utility - particularly when towing boats. These days may be far and few between, but when the day comes - not having 4WD could range from a minor inconvenience, to ruining your day.

I've probably used the 4WD in my truck less than 50 times since buying it new in 1997. Still - I'd get it again without batting an eye.

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course in your weight range you could do without a truck and use any manner of possibly better MPG SUV/Crossover vehicles.

We like to use lots of ramps at all tides and I wouldn't do that without 4wd. If you have a favorite launch ramp and know it well you could get by with less in many cases. Our most commonly used ramp is impossible at low tide without the added drive wheels.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And not just slime covered ramps but also ramps that end early. Some of our local ramps only go down so far before you are actually driving on gravel or some sand/mud at a low to very low tide. That makes traction tough and we like the option of still pulling the boat out and not having to wait around for more water like we see others often doing.

Not retired yet.

Greg
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Nissan Frontier 4x4 tows our CD22 just fine. It's not a brute but it does the job. I've gone up hills on the freeway and it handles those fine. I have not tried mountain passes yet. As for the traction, the 4x4 action on the Frontiers is great! It was an unexpected surprise when we had a big snowfall the first year I had the truck and it handled the snow and hills flawlessly, really good traction to the road surface. Much better than the 4x4 Dodge Durango I previously owned. I have a lot of confidence when I switch to 4-wheel drive with this truck. Slimy ramps have not been a problem.

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
Blueback

City/Region: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1990
Vessel Name: Blueback
Photos: Blueback
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelia wrote:
Of course in your weight range you could do without a truck and use any manner of possibly better MPG SUV/Crossover vehicles.

We like to use lots of ramps at all tides and I wouldn't do that without 4wd. If you have a favorite launch ramp and know it well you could get by with less in many cases. Our most commonly used ramp is impossible at low tide without the added drive wheels.

Greg

I have a Jeep Liberty Diesel (2005) 2.8 litre MV-Motori. This was only available for 2 years -05-06. Then California "North America's controlling tail found it didn't meet their exhaust pollutions standards and that was the death knell for this great little engine. And the tow rating was 5000lbs too! for this great do all little towing Jeep. Now Chrysler-Fiat- who owns this Italian MV Motori company, are into producing the Dodge Ram 1500 with this highly rated 2800cc- now V6-Ecodiesel (MV Motori) tow rating 9300lbs up 28 mpg.
Now I am waiting for the light bulb to go on at Chrysler again and repower the Jeep Cherokee with this engine before my 2005 model needs replacing replacement.

3-Work at rebuilding the endangered runs of salmonids on the West Coast
SGIDave

City/Region: St. George Island
Vessel Name: Seadation - SOLD 09/2013
Photos: SeaDation
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blueback wrote:

Now I am waiting for the light bulb to go on at Chrysler again and repower the Jeep Cherokee with this engine before my 2005 model needs replacing replacement.

The V6 EcoDiesel is currently available in the Grand Cherokee. For AT LEAST 2014 and 2015 model years if not before then.

So, you are in luck!

Fair Winds and Diesel Power,

david
dave

City/Region: Riverview
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Cocoon
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 16 ft ( not a C-Dory) boat that weighs about 2500#. I used to have a 2WD one ton Ford with the V-10 engine. I had the truck before the boat as a work truck. It would spin about 1 RPM on a weedy ramp. Towing I didn't even know it was there. Got 12 MPG towing the boat.

I traded it for a new 2WD Nissan Frontier with the V-6. The towing capacity is 1000# for a trailer without brakes. I put on electric over hydraulic brakes. Very nice and comfortable truck. Pulls the boat just fine, but you can tell it is there. I only get about 18 or 19 MPG on the highway not towing. We just took a trip with the boat. I'll get the towing mileage later.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current vehicle (Yukon XL) with full 4 x 4, locking diff, dual range, is the first real 4 x 4 I have owned in 60 years of towing boats. I did own a Honda Pilot with all wheel drive. I bought the Yukon, because I wanted the neutral transfer case so I could tow it behind my RV the 4 x 4 was an included extra. We had no problems towing a C Dory 25 behind a diesel Excursion (1973).

That said--I can never remember a time I could not pull a boat out of the water with 2 wheel drive, and a locking diff. The ramps in the PNW are most likely to have slime, with the high tidal range. Also if you use any sand or gravel ramps, then the 4 x 4 becomes essential.

I do recommend the large SUV--I believe that the ride is better than the pickup, for most folks they are more versatile, but that depends on what you move in the truck. We get best mileage (20 to 22 mpg), on the highway (at 55-60), following the RV. Towing a C Dory 22 we get about 12 to 15 mpg, depending on conditions.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
dave

City/Region: Riverview
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Cocoon
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave wrote:
I have a 16 ft ( not a C-Dory) boat that weighs about 2500#. I used to have a 2WD one ton Ford with the V-10 engine. I had the truck before the boat as a work truck. It would spin about 1 RPM on a weedy ramp. Towing I didn't even know it was there. Got 12 MPG towing the boat.

I traded it for a new 2WD Nissan Frontier with the V-6. The towing capacity is 1000# for a trailer without brakes. I put on electric over hydraulic brakes. Very nice and comfortable truck. Pulls the boat just fine, but you can tell it is there. I only get about 18 or 19 MPG on the highway not towing. We just took a trip with the boat. I'll get the towing mileage later.

I got 13.179 MPG over 514 miles in Southern Florida, where a highway overpass is a hill.
hambone

City/Region: Klamath Falls/Brookings OR.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without question I agree with PaulNBriannaLynn. To many times I had to reach for the 4 wheel drive knob to get up a ramp. I would not even question it. Buy a 4x4.

SEAWOLF 2008 22' TWIN HONDA 50s CRUISER
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: 2wd Reply with quote

I'm an outlier as usual (except agree with Dr Bob here)... My GMC Sierra 2500HD diesel was not available with 4WD, but has rear slip diff and pulls the 11,200# TC up every slime-covered ramp with under 2-4 inches of total tire slip always. With over 900# tongue wgt, the tires dig down to solid cement fast. The huge weight may be the advantage here. I wouldn't launch this rig on a grass, gravel or mud ramp. In 10 of 13 prior lighter boats, I always had 4WD and liked it. Get it if you can. But if you can't, you may still be able to play with us. Don't be deterred by a good rear slip diff 2WD for a heavy rig (>16,000#) diesel. We get 12 MPG @ 60-65MPH through any weather without any special permits. No $400,000 SeaRay 370 can do that.
Cheers!
John

williwaw

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Williwaw
Photos: Williwaw
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect you're considering a vehicle like mine: a 2008 2WD Toyota TRD. Ours has four doors and drives beautifully. Best of all it fits nicely in our small driveway. It has the locker rear end but honestly I've never had to use it. It has the factory towing package so it has the 7-pin plug and will tow 6500 lbs. I drive a lot of miles so am glad to have the extra 2 MPG and lower service costs.

Remember, too, that most of these 4WD trucks don't give you the driving safety that an AWD car has because they're not made for driving on pavement in 4WD mode for any length of time. I could see where 4WD would be nice on primitive ramps (or otherwise slippery for some reason like sand) but my guess is you could lock the rear end and get out just fine. With the weight of the boat on the hitch and with the slope of the ramp there's not going to be much weight on the front axle anyway.

Just my .02.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: