View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Vetus Ports Reply with quote

Seeing how the Vetus ports are on sale (posted in the Deals thread). It might be a good time to get some.

I was wondering:

How far do the Vetus PW30 ports protrude on the inside? Do these get trimmed to fit the wall thickness like the Beckson ports?

The PW30 port is the one usually mentioned in these forums. However, the PW31 is a little bigger (just under 1" bigger). Has anyone installed the PW31 ports? How well do they fit?

Does anyone have problems with the Vetus ports leaking? Either around the frame or around the glass?

I don't have access to my boat right now, so I can't take any measurements.

Thanks.
RobMcClain

City/Region: Summerlin, NV
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the Vetus PM 21 ports on our Venture, in the "forward stateroom." Love them! They allow wonderful air circulation and the small screens (an option) keep the bugs out. I leave the ports open when the boat is in storage - as long as no rain is predicted...

Rob
ssobol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who have installed ports in the v-berth, have you had any issues with leakage. I've been reading about installing ports on the internet and it seems that a lot of them have to be rebedded periodically or they will leak. Actually it seems more like they will have to be rebedded when (not if) they leak.

I am thinking about installing ports on my boat, but maybe they'll cause more problems than they are worth.

Thanks.
RobMcClain

City/Region: Summerlin, NV
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ports on our boat were installed by the previous owner, probably around 2011. He had his boatyard in Florida install them. One of the ports developed a small leak this past summer when we encountered several summer thunderstorms while on the East Coast. A few months ago I rebedded it but as yet haven't had any meaningful weather to test it. The leak wasn't serious but definitely needed to be sealed.

Rob
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed Beckson ports in Journey On. Here's a few random comments.

First, no leaks, even with white water coming over the bow. Used the sealant recommended by Beckson, but ordered a different colour to match the gel coat.

When opened they allow a nice soft breeze through.

The Beckson ports were cheap both in price and quality. Nothing's free. You have to remove and then reinstall the port glass sealing gasket. Removing was easy, installing wasn't. Aligning the 10 barrel bolts from inside to outside wasn't easy either. And the surface where I mounted them, in the V-berth isn't flat, so I had to be careful to ensure that the right amount of sealant was in the right places. Lots of masking tape.

To install them you use barrel bolts around the port. That looked sorta tank like, so to make everything harmonize, I painted the bolts, trim ring and housing the same colour, as close as I could get to the deck colour.

Trimming the housing to be flush with the outside of the deck was not easy. I finally filed the excess down and filled the gap with sealant. Don't look too close.

If I were to do it again and was willing to pay the cost, I'd get opening ports that slid in from the outside and clamped together on the inside. Not recommending any brand, just a suggestion. But I probably wouldn't pay the cost.

Boris
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We installed Vetus PM21's on Valkyrie and they are one of the best improvements that we have made to her.

Besides the additional light and air circulation, they really create an open feeling to the v-berth and allow us to look at the dock when we hear someone coming toward the boat.

No, they do not leak if installed correctly and I have much more confidence in their aluminum construction than the plastic models made by other companies. We had Beckson ports on Spirit, our Jeanneau Toinic sailboat and they did leak. Also, after investing over $50,000 in our boat and trailer, I don't mind spending a bit more for a top quality product like our Vetus ports, but that is personal thing.

BTW: we have a how-to sub-album on their installation in our album.

How this helps!

Regards,

Nick
"Valkyrie"
ssobol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a couple of PM21 ports (Hamilton Marine $105ea). Now I need to get the screws to install them. Probably have to order some. Does anyone know the thickness of the FG in the trunk above the v-berth?

I don't have my boat right now, and I'd like to have all the parts I need to install the ports before I start the process.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: