The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Looking at boat options

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanislanddan

City/Region: Ladysmith
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: Looking at boat options Reply with quote

Hello C-Brats! I am new to your Forum, and I appreciate being here. We moved back to the coast from the prairies a couple of years ago, and we're lucky enough to find a nice ocean front place near Ladysmith, BC on Vancouver island. Now that we are settled in we are thinking a boat tied to that mooring buoy out front might look good! But...the quandary is "which boat will suit us that we can afford."
We are not completely new boaters; #1 was a 23' seaswirl runabout cuddy, but we really wanted a bow rider as our activity was limited to pulling toys, etc. with our little kids. 2) was an older 17' Aquastar, great hull, blew the smelly 115 2stroke EVinrude first year, a blessing in disguise. #3) really good campion runabout with a 5.0. We brought the campion to the coast and decided to not dip it in the salt water as it was raw water cooled, so we sold it and have been boat less for a while.
We are thinking our use will mostly be day trips to the southern gulf islands, but maybe the odd weekend away, and like the idea of being able to do a week long cruise in relative comfort. But mostly, it will be used nearly daily to check crab pots, etc.
I've been looking at the 23'venture on the net, and it sure "reads well". Is there any of these 23 Ventures owned here on southern Vancouver Island? I've not seen one live and up close and like the opportunity to have a look if someone would be willing to show me their boat. (Of course I'll have a lot of questions too). If there are no local 23 Ventures, I would appreciate having a peek at any C-dory and have a chat.
I must admit I'm a little concerned about the fully enclosed pilot house configuration, for visibility and docking, but I know others are doing it so I should be able to as well.
If anyone can show me through there C-dory it would be much appreciated. Thankyou very much!
Dan

williwaw

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Williwaw
Photos: Williwaw
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

You can't go wrong with a Cape Cruiser/Venture 23. We really like ours and would be happy to take you out if you find yourself down in the Portland area.

Note that there will be a C-Brat Get Together (CBGT) in Ladysmith at the end of July and there will certainly be some there to look at/ride in. But if you're like me, it'd be tough to wait that long Smile
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vanislanddan,

Welcome to the C-Brats. It's a good place, great folks who run great boats. There are a few of the V23's around, and a bunch of CD22's and some less 25's so there are lots of C-Dory boats not all that far. If yo don't want to wait until Ladysmith, there is also a CBGT (C-Brat Get Together) at Friday Harbor on San Juan Island in May. You are welcome there, and you don't have to have a boat. There are usually about 30 - 40 there and they come in all the sizes and shapes. Most owners are glad to share tours and even rides on occasion, so you can see and feel the pull.

I was talking here with another Canadian buyer and the subject of the dollar difference came up. That might be something you will want to add in if you are looking at US boats. Unfortunately I don't see too many Canadian boats on the list for sale currently. Also, seems like the boat market is moving pretty fast and earlier this year than most. When they come up, they don't last too long on the list so it helps to be ready.

There is a new 25CD at the dealer in Portland and some nice used ones around now. Good luck with your search.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Last edited by hardee on Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Duplicate post.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan. Welcome aboard. We're in. Nanaimo as a home port with our 22. Currently on R&R in Kona Hawai'i. We're back early April. You're welcome to tour Kerri On when back. I would plan (if in your shoes) on being in Friday Harbour mid May for the gathering. Lots of most types of c dory and owners ready to share. Go for a ride. The boats are all well proven. Take your pick and jump in. Kerri On is set up as a live aboard, and we've been as long as 11 months without a break in a land based abode. Weekends are a cinch. Go long distance or day trip.
Good luck. George
Vanislanddan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your kind welcome. Of course I'll slip into Ladysmith to see the Gathering there, I'm sure I'll see you all going past Coffin Island and Sharpe Point from my deck. Maybe I can negotiate my way over to Friday Harbour with the promise of a splendid B&B or something, as I'm getting itchy to see some vessels, and ...I'm anxious. I'll be glad to come by and see Kerri in Nanaimo too when your back from Hawaii. The comment about the USD beating up the CAD is just too true. If I could have got my mind around it, the Orion would have likely been sitting on her trailer in my driveway right now. I'm just not sure if we'll see a return to reasonable FX for a while, so not sure what the best approach will be...time will tell. I'm still hoping to get a peek at C-dory soon. I'll call the dealer in Port Alberni and see what they have around.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at boat options Reply with quote

Vanislanddan wrote:
Hello C-Brats! I am new to your Forum, and I appreciate being here.
I must admit I'm a little concerned about the fully enclosed pilot house configuration, for visibility and docking, but I know others are doing it so I should be able to as well.

Dan

Hi Dan,

The key to docking single handed can be summed up in two words, be prepared. Before approaching the dock have your fenders and ropes in place. If you do not know what side you are docking, have port and stbd fenders/ropes in place. Have extended boat hook propped up in cockpit ready for use. You will get used to the enclosed cabin when it comes to visibility and docking. Have the cabin door open, manouver to your dock space, touch of reverse to stop the boat. It then only takes a nano-second to leave the helm, grab the boat hook or rope and secure to the dock.

Martin.
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at boat options Reply with quote

bridma wrote:
Vanislanddan wrote:
Hello C-Brats! I am new to your Forum, and I appreciate being here.

Dan

Hi Dan,

The key to docking single handed can be summed up in two words, be prepared. Before approaching the dock have your fenders and ropes in place. If you do not know what side you are docking, have port and stbd fenders/ropes in place. Have extended boat hook propped up in cockpit ready for use. You will get used to the enclosed cabin when it comes to visibility and docking. Have the cabin door open, manouver to your dock space, touch of reverse to stop the boat. It then only takes a nano-second to leave the helm, grab the boat hook or rope and secure to the dock.

Martin.

Martin is right. Have everything ready. The other thing to remember is that you cam make your approach slowly and once the boat is stopped, you have time, unless you are dealing with a fair wind or current, but with everything ready, it only takes a second. Have both bow and stern lines ready, pick them up step onto the dock turn and tie. Practice makes it easy, and if you are boating, you are practicing Very Happy

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Captain Bella

City/Region: Port Angeles
Vessel Name: Irene
Photos: Bucket List
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at boat options Reply with quote

Vanislanddan wrote:
I'm a little concerned about the fully enclosed pilot house configuration, for visibility and docking, but I know others are doing it so I should be able to as well.
Dan

I had similar concerns when we purchased our 22 Cruiser. Our adjustment was quick and for boating in the north, it just makes sense. The cabin protects you from the cold, wind, spray and sun. You can get plenty of air through the doors and windows but we found ourselves buttoning up more than opening up. Your active season will be greatly extended and you can take off the rain gear!

2006 Skagit Orca 27XLC
2006 C Dory 22 Cruiser (re-homed)
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visibility in the 22 is fine. The only real difference between a CD and an open boat is not being able to see above your head (e.g. going under things). I had a RIB before this without a top. Not being able to see what was going on over my head was the biggest adjustment. The advantage of having cover from the sun (or rain) usually makes up for it.

You can always make a fly bridge if you want like a couple of people have seem to have done.
Vanislanddan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the roof over top would be a different feeling. Something to get used to for sure. Regards to docking, I can understand the requirement to be organized. My first boat that I kearned on, (took some lessons) was a 23' cuddy. I remember docking was a bit of an art...but I was 20 yrs younger and a little more nimble! Nevertheless, I think doable for me. Now to find a c-dory in my price range. As mentioned by Harvey, they're scarce this year.
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pilothouse took me a bit of time to accustom too as I came from sail. I love it now. Also the shallow draft and light weight took adjustment After 350 hours I now am comfy, first while I was cautious. Watch overheads for sure and I found I needed more aggressive power and turn settings in close to make the boat do as I wanted. I was used to 8 tons coasting into docks. These boats coast poorly in a breeze. They do however respond to power inputs as in you wanna stop? Hit reverse and a burst of power. Left right? Turn and add power. Back up left right? Turn and power up in reverse. Make it behave. Add power. Like my flight instructor said. Do what you have to to make it work. Feet, power, attitude etc Don't be shy
Enjoy the looking. These are fun boats. What I really like is the ability to push off from a sandy beach, run 20 miles across Georgia Strait and then anchor in the shallows. Not many boats are so versatile in all around ability.
George
Vanislanddan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pleased to say that we made a deal on a 22 in Campbell River today. I had set out for a 23 or even 25, but this 22 was a well taken care of one owner boat, and best yet, the Purser liked it. We will bring her home next week after the paper work is done. I must say, I am very happy and can't wait to launch her!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: