The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New C Brat, looking for the " perfect" CD25!!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Easyvictor.14

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Easy Victor
Photos: Easy Victor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: New C Brat, looking for the " perfect" CD25!!!!!! Reply with quote

Hi all!
New member here, I've recently sold my beloved Albin 25 diesel cruiser that I was Looping aboard. I'm now in the market for a CD 25 to continue The Loop.

The Albin burned 1/2 GPH of diesel at 7.5kts.....that's 15nmpg in still water. Awesome mileage, but since I'm still working, I need the ability to run fast occasionally. I'll have time constraints on my cruising days for the next few years.

My preliminary short list for the boat:
Trailer
Probably twin 90s
Autopilot
Camper canvas
Windlass
Air Conditioning- I can add this after purchase.

So, I'm trying to find some performance and fuel burn numbers for the twin 90s at typical varied cruising speeds..some slow and some in the mid 20kt
range.
I'd like to buy the Tomcat listed in Corpus Cristi, but that would require a new truck too! That may have to wait a few years.
Love this site, I've been lurking for a year or so.
Whatcha got?

1981 T Craft 26 center console
1981 Silverton 34
1979 Chapparal 187
Many, many other small aluminum, wood and fiberglass toys!!!
Easyvictor.14

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: CD 25 Reply with quote

.....also, my price range is up to $60-$70,000.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard,
You are probably going to find many more of the C Dory 25 with a single 150, which is close to the ideal power. Any of the C Dorys mileage depends on how much weight you have aboard.

If you want the "real light" figures go to Boat Test.com:

http://www.boattest.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?ID=931

There you will see at 20 knots that you should get about 3 nautical miles per gallon. If you stay down to 5 knots, you will get over 6 nautical miles per gallon--but their flow meter does not work well at that speed.

Our experience with a fully loaded 25 and a single 130 in Alaska was about 2.2 mpg at 17 knots, and for the entire 1200 mile trip about 3.3 miles per gallon. The single 130 is underpowered, but the 150, is a bigger block and more torque.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got from 2-2.5 nmpg at speeds from 16-24 knots in ours with twin carburated Honda 90s. Never better than that unless we were running under 6 knots or so.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
williwaw

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Williwaw
Photos: Williwaw
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also consider the Cape Cruiser/Venture 23. A bit more interior space than the 22, also a bit more deadrise with a full height motor well etc. along with some other nice features.

Not as much storage as the 25 nor a separate head but it is lighter to tow. A 115 is good for this boat though it's rated for 150.

I believe there's one or two for sale on this site and there's also a very nice one on the Portland OR craigslist (not mine Smile but I believe I know the boat and it's immaculate).
Easyvictor.14

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking that 2.5 mpg at 20kts would be about right, thanks Thataway!

I'd be happy with the 23 Venture or the CD22, but I have two teenage daughters and a girlfriend who really like the separate head/shower!

I have no intention of reviving the twins/single debate, but what cruise/WOT speeds could be expected in a medium load CD25 with the twin 90s?
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelia wrote:
We got from 2-2.5 nmpg at speeds from 16-24 knots in ours with twin carburated Honda 90s. Never better than that unless we were running under 6 knots or so.

Greg

I would guess that Greg was in the medium to heavy side, (Greg, chime in here if I'm too far off), on the 25 with twin 90's. If you are lighter than Aurelia then you should have some better mpg.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could cruise at 16-24 knots with even a heavy load (us and our stuff) and top out around 28-30 depending on props with a load. I remember seeing low 30s lightly loaded before we moved into the boat. The boat will just barely plane on one engine but its working really hard to do it. Plenty of power with twin 90s but if I were to do it again I would go with a single 175 or 200 to get that kind of performance.

Greg

Last edited by Aurelia on Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dup
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is that above 30 knots most of the C Dory's do not handle as well. I cannot comment on the Venture 23/26's they may do slightly better, but generally these boats do not above 30 knots.
Easyvictor.14

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing a chart that showed actual weights for typical cruising items on here somewhere, I just can't find it now.
Boat, motor/motors, trailer, 100 gals gas at aprox 6.8 lb per gal,
I'm guessing will come in about 6500-7000lbs?
My 1/2 ton is rigged to tow 9,200#, so I have no reservations about towing 7000. ( I've towed lots of things, plenty of experience there!)
Are my numbers in the ballpark?
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our 25 weighed around 8,700 pounds on the trailer. That was with less than 1/4 tank of fuel, and most of our cruising gear in the bed of the truck. Honda 135. Galvanized trailer.

If you have a useful load of 9,200 pounds on the truck, you have to consider the weight of passengers and gear being carried in the truck, as well.

My opinion is a half ton truck would be marginal for towing the 25. I am aware that some on here do that, so that is based on towing with a 3/4 ton diesel pickup.

Good luck with the search - the 25 is a great boat.

Jim B.
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find that many of the 1/2 tons which are rated for 9000 or so lbs require a weight distribution hitch. We went to the wt distribution hitch on the second year we were towing, and it made a difference. (Not all WD hitch will work with surge brakes, so check. E/H are fine for any of the WD hitch.

We towed both with a Diesel Excursion HD towing package, and a V10 powered 30 foot long RV, with modified torque converter, tranny cooler, tranny gears, and hitch/frame. Did fine with both.
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably have one of the lightest CD25's around, it weighed in at 7400 lbs w/galvanized, bunk style Pacific trailer (27 ft) w/spare tire and twin Yamaha F80's. Mine is a 2003, perhaps a bit lighter than the newer ones, I know one difference, my roof is 1/4" thick vs the cored, thick roofs starting in 2005 (I think), perhaps other changes as well. I would have to review what I was carrying, but we were on our way to a w/e at Catalina, so all of our gear, food and drinks for 4 people, full water (17 gal) and I think 1/2 tank of gas (50 gal). I have a standard portapotti, no hot water heater, no refrig (I like ice chests), but do carry 4 folding chairs, 2 anchors/chain, BBQ, 6 fishing poles/gear, and quite a bit of backup maintenance supplies/tools. I do, however, closely monitor the boat's storage areas and maintain them religiously to not gain excess weight over time.

I average 2.75 nm/gal, give or take depending on the conditions per trip, up to 3.0 on smooth trips and 2.5 on rough crossings. I like 16-18 knots generally, running 4200 RPMs (or higher if 6-7 people on board). I have 13 1/2D x 15P alum props, they seem to be a great average prop for nearly all conditions, waves and loading. I could probably go with 16P props or 4-blade to get slightly more speed, but I'm happy with the performance of these.

I initially towed it in 2003 with a 1/2 ton Dodge van, 360cu in. It towed OK but getting it out of the water was a PITA. In 2004 I switched to a 1/2 ton Ford Expedition, 5.4L, 4WD, huge difference. It is rated at 8,700 lbs towing. But as others have said, you have to add the occupants and any other gear you're carrying in the tow vehicle to that rating plus the towed item. It is not a speedster, but travels nicely. Up hills I manually drop it into 2nd gear, and if high altitude and steep, might have to run in 1st gear at 35 mph, but I make it and has never overheated, not even moved the temp gauge above normal--which is odd! But I don't push it, because I know I'm on the hairy edge on towing weight, but it works for me. Pulling it out of the water in 4WD-Low is a dream, just idles it out now, no more problems whatsoever.

Good luck and happy hunting for your boat. The CD25 has been and still is perfect for us. We routinely carry 6-7 people now on most w/e trips--and for some reason we don't try to kill each other by the end of the weekend...! We have a great time.

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
beermanPDX

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Photos: Jean Marie
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 25 with twin Honda 90s and my experience pretty much matches what Greg / Aurelia stated. For me, I am lucky if I see 2.0nmpg cruising at anything over 6kts. My sweet spot is about 18kts and I get about 1.8nmpg. 18kts feels like a good speed for me. It's not too fast that I'm watching the fuel gauge drop. It's not too slow where I don't feel like I'm making progress getting to my destination as time is usually limited with me. My top speed with the stock 3 blade honda props was about 30kts. With my 4 blade stainless props (can't recall size) my top end is about 28kts.

My 2008 has the fresh water tank in the stern. Other model years have it up under the v-berth. I wish mine did. I have two Honda 90s, three batteries, ~23 gallons of water, and up to 100 gallons of fuel all in the back 1/3rd of the boat. Stern heavy is an understatement. Even with trim tabs and permatrims, I have trouble getting the stern to lift. I had my motors raised to the highest mounting hole and they are still a bit too low in the water while running.

If I were to spec a new 25, I'd want the water tank in the bow and I'd most likely go with a single Honda 200 (~100lbs lighter than twin 90s and one less battery). As much as I love the added maneuverability of the twins, it's posed more drawbacks than advantages. Some drawbacks were specific to the Honda 90s (ex. no NMEA 2000 or ability to easily add a 2nd set of thottle controls for the cockpit).

If the 25 you buy comes with a trailer, pay close attention to the capacity rating of it. My boat, which I bought used, was originally sold with an EZ Loader tandem trailer with a 5700# load capacity, which is far too low. You want something with a load capacity north of 7000#. I will most likely be replacing my trailer this year or next. Right now when I trailer I load almost all equipment / tools / supplies etc from the boat in to the bed of my truck and always tow with empty fuel and water tank. If I had a properly spec'd trailer, I wouldn't have to go through that hassle.

Good luck in your search. It's a great boat.

Rob
2008 25 Cruiser - Sold
2002 Nordic Tug 32/4 - Sold
1989 40 Tollycraft Sport Sedan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: