The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Another Wallas question - Wiring this time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgrfish

City/Region: Monroe
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Koa Makai
Photos: Koa Makai
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Another Wallas question - Wiring this time Reply with quote

I'm in the process of building a new boat, a 25 foot Tolman Jumbo skiff, and while I don't have a C Dory, I have found this site to be incredibly helpful to me. My plan for the boat is for fishing off the Oregon coast, but the dream is to spend extended time cruising the inside passage and Alaska. The members of this forum have incredible experience with using your C Dorys cruising, and I have picked up many good ideas from your experience. I hope that even though I don't have a C Dory, you will let me share my experiences here, and draw from yours as well.

I am about to face installing my new Wallas Nordic DT stove, and I am torn about how to wire it. I was planning to feed it directly off a dedicated breaker on the house panel, allowing me to cut the power to the stove if it needs reset, which I have read about on here many times. The folks at Scanmarine, however, are recommending that it be wired directly to the battery, bypassing the distribution panel, master cut off switch for the boat, etc. Their logic is to wire it directly so that power doesn't accidently get turned off while the stove is operating, leaving a hot stove with no fan or control. I understand their point, but on the flip side the whole intent of a master switch is to assure something isn't left on, or malfunction while you are away from the boat. Not sure I want anything except a bilge pump wired directly to the battery.

What would you do? I really appreciate your input!

Mark
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Wallas heater is wired to a distribution point near the panel and fused separately of course. I think knowing NOT to cut the power while running is what allows for my logic and another person running my boat would still need to manually find and pull a fuse to cause an interruption. I guess having a switch in the mix could make that move a little too easy for a person not privy to the needs of the unit. The switch is what I would avoid (or hide it).

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always found the folks at Scan Marine to be extremely knowledgeable and helpful. And I'm sure they've repaired enough stoves to have a pretty good idea of how people screw them up. Notwithstanding all that, I'd wire your stove the way you propose. I used both a Wallas stove and a Wallas heater without any (and I do mean any) problems for years. Neither one was wired directly to the battery. I was always very conscious of the state of the units before I turned the battery off. If you think you can pay attention to that detail (and a few others Laughing ), I think you'll be happier coming off your panel. I think it's far more important to make sure you use adequately sized wire and make good connections, than it is to worry about coming directly off the battery.

Greg's suggestion to hide the switch, if you instal one, is probably a good one. OTH, I might not worry about one at all - I used the stove heavily for 8+ years and the heater for 2, and never had to disconnect the power in order to reset or restart either one.

Sounds like a great boat building project! Good luck!

Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My stove is wired directly to the house battery switch, which is great since no one will switch off house battery when boat is in operation.

A 25 Tolman Jumbo skiff, I love those boats!
Please include a link to your photos or request a photo album here. I'm sure others would enjoy seeing your construction detail photos.

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cousin Tolman Jumbo! Welcome! I also wire to a distribution point right by the main switch aft in the lazarette. One reason to go back to the battery and avoid longer wire runs, is to keep the battery voltage up. Often the battery voltage will be several tenths of a volt lower if measured at the console (should not be, but reality is…) I don't wire directly to the house, since I have two house, batteries--one is used for a freezer. I also don't like many connections on the battery (only the charger and the heavy cable out).
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
cgrfish

City/Region: Monroe
Vessel Name: Koa Makai
Photos: Koa Makai
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for the warm reception. I think I will wire as I had planned rather than the separate battery run.

I have requested a photo album, and I'll post a few pictures when it gets set up.

Thanks!

Mark
williwaw

City/Region: Portland
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Williwaw
Photos: Williwaw
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently added a second house battery and as part of the process re-did some of the wiring. I added a BlueSea SafetyHub 150 in the lazarette just after the main switch. The Wallas, refer, windlass, helm sub-panel and a few other small circuits all come off it. It really cleaned things up.
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wherever you make the electrical connection for the Wallace the only switch associated with that connection should be the power switch on the Wallace itself. This I believe is outlined in the installation instructions. Both the c dorys I have owned my current and previous one both had the Wallace attached directly to a battery. The reason for this is to prevent possible power loss to the Wallace when it is running, this could cause overheating and damage to the unit. For convenience you could simply place the fuse in an area easily accessible like close to the unit.
When I installed an additional 30 DT Wallace furnace I ran the leads directly to the house battery attaching them directly to the battery terminals then put the fuse in a convenient place.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: