The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

There has to be an easier way to change oil
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: There has to be an easier way to change oil Reply with quote

I am doing a pre-season service.... and what a mess it is to change oil on my Yamaha 40 outboards... you pull the plug and it drains all over the lower unit making a huge mess.... (lotsa cardboard) the majority of it does get into the drain pan...but is is sure not pretty.

The outlet of the oil drain is so short I can't see any way to get a hose over it.... there must be a way.... what do others do ?
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEA3PO,
I use one of these for everything (lawn mower, car, outboards, etc):
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--manual-oil-extractor-6-9-quart--11047123
Mine is made by Moeller, but looks like the West one. The only thing that is a challenge is tilting the outboard just right to remove the oil filter without spilling a drop. I do put lots of rags around the filters, just in case, but can now do this without any mess.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make a funnel out of a plastic gallon milk jug. Carve the big end to fit in, around and under the drain and aim the little end at your bucket. Cut the top big enough so you can reach in and grab the plug. Very high tech, I know, but you will not spill a drop. You even get a handle to hold it up there with.
SGIDave

City/Region: St. George Island
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: Seadation - SOLD 09/2013
Photos: SeaDation
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: There has to be an easier way to change oil Reply with quote

SEA3PO wrote:
I am doing a pre-season service.... and what a mess it is to change oil on my Yamaha 40 outboards... you pull the plug and it drains all over the lower unit making a huge mess.... (lotsa cardboard) the majority of it does get into the drain pan...but is is sure not pretty.

The outlet of the oil drain is so short I can't see any way to get a hose over it.... there must be a way.... what do others do ?

SEA3PO

Oil aspiration from ABOVE is the way to do it. That's how most marine dealers I've checked with handle the task. Many top European cars are serviced with aspirators from above. SRBAUM has the right idea!

I started out with a 6 QT capacity unit for my diesel Passat; but now use an 8 or 10 qt capacity unit for general use.

The main disadvantage is it will take 10-20 minutes to suck out all the oil. The time is greatly reduced if your oil is hot prior to starting the oil change.

david
BRAZO

City/Region: Full-time Travel
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meyer Meyer
Photos: BRAZO
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use a Fumoto Oil pan valve for our motorhome and all the cars. Just attach a small hose and open the valve.

Wonder if you can get these to fit an Outboard (no question you could, just need to know the threads on the outboard)? I agree that changing the oil should be much cleaner - the Fumoto Valve would make it easy.

http://www.fumotousa.com/

BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Bigboy Top Sider pump and let the OB warm up to operating temp then remove oil.
Big Mac

City/Region: Chehalis
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Mary Ellen
Photos: Mary Ellen
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also went with the Topsider oil extractor this year. It makes changing the oil very easy and clean. I did warm up the engines first. I also use it on other small engines around the place.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do two things:

1. Tilt the engine up and turn full to starboard. The allows the majority of oil to drain without gravity making a mess. I then lower the unit and make sure it's good and drained.

2. I made a plastic "tool" to pull the oil away from the lower unit out of a 1 liter soda bottle. It works like the trough you see at the back of a cement truck.

Quote:
Fumoto Oil pan valve

I installed these on my F250 to drain the coolant from the block. Top quality.

Wigeon

City/Region: Bellingham
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some type of oil extractor with oil at normal temp is pretty painless and if you desire, you can remove the drain plug for the remaining oil. I've also used clear wrap duct taped to lower unit for mess control. Once you've used an oil extractor you're unlikely to pull the plug again. Larry
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the outboards, I have left over a 12 volt electric pump by Jabsco and a 5 gallon container. Tube sucks thru the oil fill or dip tube.

For the inboard diesels, I had a built in drain pan plug, to a built in pump which would pull used oil out, and pump new oil in by Reverso.

Reverso makes the GP-311 PW for outboards, but it is pricey, and you can get one which works as well for 1/3 or less of the price.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
akc-dory

City/Region: Fairbanks
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another easy method if you don't want to spend the money on a suction pump and have a shop vac. take an old stiff plastic bottle, i use 5 gal water bottle . find hose that will push tight into engine drain hole. drill hole same size near top bottle , shove hose 1/3 to 1/2 way to bottom inside bottle. vac hose goes in bottle opening , outside adjusted with duck tape if needed. turn on vac , pull plug and twist hose into drain. vac makes suction in bottle and sucks in oil into bottle. have used many, many times on small gas engines and hose is also small enough to go down auto dipstick hole on lowrider.
akc-dory

City/Region: Fairbanks
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also have a 5 gallon bottle set up like this with a 1 inch hose. i can use it to suck up a few gallons of water, if i don't want to get the inside of my shop vac all gunky. works great just dump out bottle
SENSEI

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: SENSEI
Photos: SENSEI and SERENITY
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the ultimate way to fix your problem
Put a pair of E-Tec 40hp on it. never change the oil again.

1993 22 Cruiser (sold 2014)
1995 22 Angler (acquired 2016)
1983 22 Classic (sold 2017)
TyBoo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joel - I am changing my oil today.

Here is what I mean by the milk jug funnel. Try it one time and I promise you won't want to spend any more than two minutes or a buck eighty-nine on any extraction device. Loosen the plug, aim the spout at the bucket, and reach in over the top to remove the plug. The three drops of oil you get on your fingers will be the only oil that doesn't hit the bucket. Twenty two seconds and the plug goes back in. You don't even have to wipe the deflector plate under the plug because you ain't gettin' no oil on it.

Also, they are making new Star Wars movies!!
TyBoo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take one thing back - you do have to wipe the deflector plate because the funnel goes under it, of course. But you do not need to clean the floor of the cavity beneath it.

Joel, ever since you suggested I use a wedge to shim out my helm and tilt the steering wheel up I have been searching for a way to repay that forehead slapping favor. I really think this is it.

This year I added a chunk of hose to the funnel so I could be hands free to take pics. Since I just yesterday jerked the sink and the shower out of the head on board I happened to have a length of drain tube that fit over the spout of the milk jug. You do not have to do that if you don't want - the funnel has a handle.

Draining:

Close up to show no mess:

The entire extent of my cleanup, including wiping the three drops of oil off my fingers:

So there you have it. Unless your Yamahas won't facilitate the Honda method, we are even. But I will still silently thank you every time I sit at the helm and don't bump my legs on the wheel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: