View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alexander

City/Region: Stuart
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Alexander
Photos: Alexander
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject: Feedback on SEA TECH Trailers Reply with quote

Any Brats have a Sea Tech trailer out of Miami? I've got several quotes on a new aluminum trailer and they are the lowest, and nobody else is close. They are quoting just under $4500 on a 7500# tandem with 4 wheel Kodiak ss disc brakes, elec over hydraulic, led lights, all stainless hardware. They sent me a pic of a CD 25 in shrink wrap that they built a trailer for and it looks great but I can't identify it to ask the owner if he's happy with it. Spring is here and it's time to get serious about a trailer. Thanks, Bob
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of them but good price.
SGIDave

City/Region: St. George Island
Vessel Name: Seadation - SOLD 09/2013
Photos: SeaDation
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Alexander,

I don't know ANYTHING about Sea Tech trailers. But I'll tell you what I like...

One of my previous boats was a Cape Cruiser 23 (like a CD Venture 23); it came on a Magic Tilt Trailer. That was by far the nicest trailer I've had the privilege to own and use. My boats live on a trailer so having a good kit is important since it gets used EVERY time I use my boat.

The things I liked:
-ALL WELDED aluminum frame. This make a more rigid trailer.
-Torsion Axles
-LED lights
-SS hardware
-Quality brake and bearing components

I've owned several BOLTED aluminum trailers and they are OK. Although the bolts may be "tight" there is more flex and wonky movement than with a welded framework.

One of our fellow C-brats (fishfinder) recently sold his Venture 23 and if you look in his photo album (http://www.cdoryventure.com/Cdory-venture/) you will see several pics of his boat on the Magic Tilt trailer I'm referencing.

I suspect several Florida trailer manufacturers will make a WELDED trailer like this.

Good luck and I hope you find what you want.

david
san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: aluminum trailer Reply with quote

I just bought a 8400 # capacity Load Rite aluminum from Dave's Boat Trailer Sales (410) 761-6460 for less than you have mentioned.
Commander 30 Sportfish (sold)
Olympic 26 XL (sold)
Glassply 19 (sold)
Olympic 23 (sold)
Bayliner 38 Motoryacht (sold)
Olympic 20 (sold)
Fiberform 16 (sold)
Olympic 18 (sold)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a thread on them from THT:

http://www.thehulltruth.com/trucks-trailers/445587-sea-tech-trailers.html#b

My concern would be if the $7500 is enough.

Look at Boris's post:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=18278

I know that my 25 was very close to that 8000 lbs loaded also. I had an aluminum trailer, similar to what you are considering.

Be sure that any galvanized metal is isolated from any of the aluminum. The E/H brakes are going to be $1000 alone--I don't know how they can do a good trailer for that price. Look at the hardware, bunks, bunk pads.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Alexander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys. I appreciate the info. Baltimore dealer is not good because of cost to go get it or to pay for delivery. Bob, thanks again , as usual. I was also concerned about being too close on weight but considering the price, I thought I could just move the "portable load" to the car (Expedition w/heavy tow package) and keep the boat under for the few trips per year we need it. I also wonder if the elec option is worth it for only a couple trips per year. I have no heavy boat towing experience so I can't decide on surge or hydraulic from my experience. I have pulled large travel trailers and heavy equipment trailers but all had straight elec drums. What do you think? Most of the big trailers I see at the boat ramps are surge on two wheels only. Is that ok in your opinion? I want to be safe but I don't need fancy. I keep the boat in a slip at home and the trailer will be in a storeage yard 90% of the time.
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: trailers Reply with quote

We have a 23 cc( venture ) it weighs about 4000 lb with trailer about 5000 lb
We have a Continental 2450 alum trl with S/S fittings, torsion axles and surge brakes .
Florida has a legal requirement that any load over 3000 lb must have brakes on all wheels .When going to the ramp you will see many trailers with only one set instead of two or no brakes at all.because of all the corrosion problems .If only using the trailer to launch or to do maintenance you might want to rent a trailer . If you want to take it to many gatherings then a trailer is worthwhile.
We just got our trailer out of a friends field and the brakes were all locked up( Kodiak ) 3 out of 4 unlocked once we got going ,but one would not move .WE had to remove tire until we could get it fixed . We replaced all the brake pads and resurfaced the disc.If you are going to buy a trailer make sure you rinse off trailer after every use .It seems the boat trailer brakes will last about 2-3 years and then you will need to fix or replace depending on quality and your diligence of cleaning .Good Luck with your trailer search .
BTW I was a Continental Trailer rep in SW Florida sold many trailers and brake parts to dealers and marinas.

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"If you are going to buy a trailer make sure you rinse off trailer after every use ."

I'M pretty sure that "every use ." really means after every dunking, if you are launching and retrieving in Salt Water, unless your "use" is only for an hour or so.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Alexander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I have my pump up 1 gal garden sprayer all set to spray brakes as soon as they come out of the water, only thing missing is the trailer.
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some folks do use under sized and no brake trailers for "yard" trailers. This means only in the yard, and not on the highway…although obviously many do run them on the highway. jennykatz knows about trailers, and if you are on any road in Florida you have to have brakes on each wheel (both axles). I am aware of owners being ticket for the lack of brakes. For that load a dual axle trailer is necessary. Are the surge OK on the 25--yes, but the E/H is much better, and with that trailer you are really getting a deal on the E/H brakes. I paid about that for a trailer for my 25 with only Surge Brakes, about 7 years ago.

If, you only run the trailer a just to pull the boat for storage or maintenance, then it is adequate. BUT much of the fun with these boats is that you can trailer them, and it opens up a lot of vistas, and the gatherings. We had not considered doing them at first, but later found they were well worth the trailering. We average over 7000 miles of trailering a year, even though we have a lift and dock at the house.

One of the issues with renting a trailer is that C Dorys are quite different than most trailers, and it takes a special trailer to accommodate our flatter boat bottoms..

The Expedition is rated for 9,000 lbs with the HD tow package, but over 6,000 requires the weight distribution hitch (according to Ford). This is not unusual--but very few people get the wt. distribution hitch. Although some wt. diet. hitch will work with surge brakes, they are better with E/H.
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I know this answer but just in case, That rule for having brakes on each axel: does that apply to out of state visitors in Florida. I'm thinking not, but just in case.

Thanks,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the answer to the question legally--because generally reciprocity is full between all states, so if you are legal in Washington, then in Fl. However, I do know that in some of the Canadian provinces that you have to follow that Province law.

Your chance of being stopped and brake inspection is low, but I have heard of FHP,stopping boat trailers, inspect, weight with portable scale, and ticket in not in compliance. This happened near Pensacola, just before a large tournament two years ago. There were over 50 boats stopped and inspected. I have never had this happen to me.

I did stop on the side of the highway, with my Caracal, and was removing the motor cover because it was chafing on the paint of the cowling. A highway patrol officer stopped behind me with his emergency lights on, and asked if I was having any problems. I told him why I stopped, He walked around the rig, and came back--"good to go". That boat/trailer is under 3000 lbs (scale weight--and I carry the weight ticket with me) single axle, and no brakes, but I tow it with the RV (Air Brakes) or the Yukon XL,

I would say that your chance of being stopped in the Keys is far greater. They seem to be particularly sensitive to oversized or weight loads there.
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. Before I get headed down the road I have some checking to do, but as you say, generally, if you are in compliance in the home state, you have reciprocity for some time period, 30 to 90 days for some or up to 180 days in state before you have to meet local regs.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something dosent smell right with that deal .
Marc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: