View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gratitude

City/Region: Costa Mesa
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1992
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C Pelican
Photos: C Pelican
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Simrad System vs ? Reply with quote

OK, I am near ready to upgrade C Pelican's electronics, and am leaning toward Simrad. What I like about it other than price is pinch to zoom and knobs to change settings. I fish in S California Channel Islands for rock-fish, and our maximum fishing depth is about 300' due to Marine Protected Areas.

Here are my criteria:
Must be able to utilize Navionics Sonar Charts.
Hydraulic Auto Pilot
Radio with AIS
3 g radar or similar
DownScan
StructueScan
Chip
9" Display with possible second 7" Display.

With the Fred Hall Show coming up in about 2 weeks, my sense is that the show may have the best prices for whatever I decide upon.

If not asking too much, I would appreciate part numbers for your Simrad, or other Vendors solutions that meet my criteria.

Thank you in advance.
Gratitude (Jim)

Bluechablis

City/Region: Redondo Beach
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Far C'r
Photos: Far C'r
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really pleased that I went with Simrad, I took a look at other solutions and though it probably was the most expensive, it is really cool. Here is a video I made of my test run

http://youtu.be/D79LeLRzr70?list=UUdC6bfTm9NBItsr_gU5ZaRw

I added a sonic hub, with the remote so that I can enjoy my Ipod or bluetooth my phone for music. When I save up some more money I will upgrade my radar so that I will have the data overlaid on the chartplotter. I was able to use the NMEA 83 (?) output of my AIS Horizon Radio right into the NSS7 even though it runs on NMEA2000 backbone without having to hassle with a converter.

The best upgrade to my boat so far. The best feature is to set on Autopilot and use the little rotary knob on the chartplotter to steer with 2 fingers.

Far C'r - 2001 Cdory 22
Bluechablis - 1992 NorSea 27
Quarter Note - 1972 Cris Craft Sloop
Palantir - 1971 31 Mariner Ketch (Far Seer in Elvish)
Aphrodite - 42 Ft Schooner Jay Benford Design
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navico makes Lowrance, Simrad and B&G. The radar is identical in all 3 brands, so the choice is in the sonar and display.

I think the 3G radar is excellent for the C-Dory small boat. Low power and good close range display. Also, Lowrance (and maybe the others) offer C_Map display as well as Navico charts. I'm still trying to figure out the sonar options.

My understanding and please check, is that Lowrance is for power boaters that fish, Simrad is for cruisers and B&G is for the big boys (that sail.) All the features seem to be the same across the Navico line. My message is to figure out what features you want: radar, sonar, NMEA 200 connectivity and anything else then select the line that offers those features for the lowest price.

I bought Lowrance for specific reasons, but Simrad offers a NMEA 200 radar connection box standard whilst it's extra on the Lowrance. Final price is the same, BTW. So do your due diligence and see what you get. Make sure you see how it all hooks/wires together, especially with the display. The smaller displays have less connectivity that the larger ones (7" vs 8" appears to be a break point.)

One advantage of the 3G radar is that it can be plugged into a PC via Ethernet and overlay in OpenCpn. Probably not that important to you, but that's why I bought it. Their high resolution sonar is also Ethernet.

Good luck, you'll enjoy whatever you get. I pray that I didn't confuse you.

Boris
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might want to look at the Humminbird Onix series. I think it will do all the stuff you want. I saw it last week at the MIBS and it is very nice. When the Humminbird unit I have now gives up the ghost, I might have to get one of these.
SounderSolutions

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Frequent-C
Photos: FREQUENT-C
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking at Simrad, take a look at lowrance 9" gen 3. It does everything the simrad does PLUS wireless network. That means if you have an Ipad, then you have a second unit. It will do the lowrance autopilot (not from ipad) as well. The lss2 and chirp transducers will cost about 200 each. That puts you at $2400 with everything you want minus the autopilot. I havent priced the AP.

Good luck!

Frequent-C (2006 Tomcat 24)
Tired Again (2011 Thundjet Luxor)
20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an NSS12 gen 1, 4g radar, heading sensor, and WiFi gateway. AIS is through Vesper Marine XB-8000. The ComNav autopilot is intentionally not connected to the rest of the system...I like setting the heading and understanding how current and wind are effecting me.

The Simrad equipment is okay, but I find the software somewhat buggy. Occasionally the MFD won't see the radar when it boots up, and I have to restart the MFD. Sometimes when switching displays half the screen will go blue until I press another button and give the system a reason to refresh the screen.

The 4G radar is excellent close in. I can see boats moving through the marina, or pick up a mooring buoy in the dark. The auto settings are impressive...far better than most people are at tuning a radar. Instant on and low power draw don't mean much for how I use my boat.

If you want to read the comments from a very disgruntled Simrad purchaser, click here: http://www.mvtanglewood.com/2015/02/simrad-wall-of-shame.html Keep in mind his setup is vastly more complicated than the setup on most boats. And ultimately he couldn't find any integrated system that fit his needs.

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God bless you, 20dauntless. Now I know I'm not hallucinating.

I've had the same problem with my Lowrance HDS-7 Gen 2. Last summer it started denying that the radar was there. Just when I really needed it. I solved the problem, as far as I know, by going back 1 software update, from 3.0 to 2.5. Now works fine.

When I asked Lowrance customer service, not only did they deny that it happens, they told me I couldn't re-install the earlier software version. Well, so much for their CS.

I'd love to find out how to really report a software bug to the Navico developers. I'd assume it would be to their benefit to fix it, but if they deny the problem, it'll never get solved.

Though my 3G radar works well with OpenCpn on the PC.

Boris
Gratitude

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SounderSolutions wrote:
If you are looking at Simrad, take a look at lowrance 9" gen 3. It does everything the simrad does PLUS wireless network. That means if you have an Ipad, then you have a second unit. It will do the lowrance autopilot (not from ipad) as well. The lss2 and chirp transducers will cost about 200 each. That puts you at $2400 with everything you want minus the autopilot. I havent priced the AP.

Good luck!

Steve, you have me thinking. Currently C Pelican has a Lowrance LCX -38c HD chart plotter. Would it be able to network with a Lowrance Gen 3? That would provide me with a second display. If so, is there any specific connectors that I would need?

Many thanks.
Gratitude (Jim)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Simrad is an excellent brand. The radars are compatible thru the Navico line. For the few dollars more, I would get the 4 G radar. (better close target discrimination and dual range are the two most useful) I would do with 2 8" screens, over a 9" and 7". (Dollar and features may dictate which way your go)

For a Radio, I would go with the Standard Horizon:Matrix AIS/GPS (GX2200)

I would spent a few hours on "The Hull Truth" for lots of good information on the Navico line, including several professional testers for Simrad/Lowrance.

The Simrad (Robertson) Autopilot 24 is excellent. However, Lowrance has a new cheaper pilot.
http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/Auto-Steering/Outboard-Pilot-Hydraulic-Pack-en-us.aspx
My understanding so far is that it works best with Lowrance, but I may not be up to date on that.

The Simrad/lowrance line has all of the depth finder features you want…however some are gong to be limited in depth--and you may be fishing in deeper water than the side scan can work in. (Although it is improving)

You will also want to do some further reading on CHIRP and "structure scan" This world is chaining very rapidly.

Also get the prices on a package from BOE, or Semperfifishing. Both of those are excellent on line vendors, who are very helpful.

Also don't fully discount Furuno, with their latest line for recreational boats. I am sure that there will be a lot of information at the boat show! Spend a full day playing with the gadgets and asking about the features.

Give me a shout, and I can meet you at the show, or before hand, since I am in Seal Beach for at least the next month still. Be great to catch up with how my "old" boat is running! Thinking about that, if any other C Brats want to do that show, why not have an informal LBFHBS gathering (make what you want out of that set of letters!)

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
SounderSolutions

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gratitude wrote:
SounderSolutions wrote:

Good luck!

Steve, you have me thinking. Currently C Pelican has a Lowrance LCX -38c HD chart plotter. Would it be able to network with a Lowrance Gen 3? That would provide me with a second display. If so, is there any specific connectors that I would need?

Many thanks.
Gratitude (Jim)

The lcx will network with the new unit which would get you the second unit you are looking for. Good advice from Bob in talking with Semperfifishing. He has the tools to help you with your system design. Upgrades are always fun.
Gratitude

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SounderSolutions wrote:
Gratitude wrote:
SounderSolutions wrote:

Good luck!

Many thanks.
Gratitude (Jim)

The lcx will network with the new unit which would get you the second unit you are looking for. Good advice from Bob in talking with Semperfifishing. He has the tools to help you with your system design. Upgrades are always fun.

I wonder if I would lose any functionality with the LCX as a second display? If I lost functionality say Chirp what would the older LCX be able to display and not display?

This forum is fantastic!!

Thank you one and all,
Gratitude (Jim)
SounderSolutions

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I would run it is to chirp off the gen3 unit and run standard 50/200 on the lcx. This of course will change with your application. If I was in dedicated fishing mode and needed a chart up, then chirp on the gen 3 and chart or 50khz and chart split on the lcx. And even chirp/structure scan split on gen3 and chart/50khz split on the lcx...The combinations will really depend on what you are doing and your needs.

So many option available.

Steve
Gratitude

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SounderSolutions wrote:
The way I would run it is to chirp off the gen3 unit and run standard 50/200 on the lcx. This of course will change with your application. If I was in dedicated fishing mode and needed a chart up, then chirp on the gen 3 and chart or 50khz and chart split on the lcx. And even chirp/structure scan split on gen3 and chart/50khz split on the lcx...The combinations will really depend on what you are doing and your needs.

So many option available.

Steve

Steve, so the lcx could display the Broadband 3G™ Radar or Broadband 4G™ Radar as well?
SounderSolutions

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lcx does accept lowrance radar but not sure about 3g or 4g. The lcx is discontinued and it would be better to talk with a lowrance system designer to see how or if the older models will be compatible with the newer components. Semperfifishing or your local Lowrance rep will be able to answer that question much more accurately. If you don't know who your Local Rep is, one of ours up here is John Kaiser with saltpatrol.com. You might send him an email or give him a call. He will be able to provide you with options I may not be thinking about.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: