The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Rendering (or receiving) assistance while afloat.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having now towed our Mokai with our 22CD for over 8000 miles mostly at very low speed in all kinds of conditions, I'm acutely aware of especially, the hazard of getting the tow line caught up in the prop, which over the miles & years I've been able to minimize, but it still happens. This is with floats on both bridles & the ovoid floats Bob mentioned attached to the so called floating rope about every 4 feet. The floats on the bridle tow rope prevent this from happening under normal maneuvers, but during a abrupt stop & reverse if the motors are not fully trimmed down, they can still suck the rope or even bridle into a prop. Either getting the tow rope in the prop from this or maneuvering to recover the Mokai after flipping & filling with water in big steep wave conditions has been my biggest concerns in its continual towing. The one time I did tow another boat it was another CD22 & it was with the same set up I use for the Mokai. With or with out floats I can see one of the many concerns of towing another boat especially if much maneuvering is called for under tow, being wrapping the tow line in a prop.

Jay

'o cino

City/Region: Aviano
State or Province: Other
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ronstan halyard releases are reliable, and deploy under tension...and might I add, so do several other makes that are made outside the USA Wink. They are pricey (example the 6310 is about 90 bucks!) although it has a working strength of about 3900lbs, and breaking strength of about 7900lbs, of course other models are available with specs that will fit your app and pocketbook. The rigging is via 2 figure-8's on bights, thus a bridle can be self-equalizing rigged, with the release on a leg (not located on a tension point) and not attached to a hard point (cleat, etc). The towing stress is distributed through the triangle of equalization, and although not to be used for climbing purposes (American Triangle = Death) is good for this application. There is little risk of rebound with the buoy in line and appropriate towline length (Hmmmmmm, how much towline do you use? Hint, if it's consistently out of the water, it's too short Wink )...this is not like the 4x4 You-Tubes of cables going through windshields.
This really isn't a "new" technique, although it's gaining favor as the metallurgy and cordage technology advances. We use an HTP line that is less than 1 percent elongation, and has "drop" characteristics that are amazing on tension release, either pull or cut. Long winded, and take it for whatever weight you think it's worth. Cheers!

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion..."
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reality is that few if any of us will have a High Tenacity Polyester Climbing rope of 300 or so feet aboard. Most will use the anchor rode, or a back up rode, will most be nylon. Nylon has elasticity, which will launch a missile for quite a long distance. This becomes dangerous. Even on the sailboats, where we had back up halyards, which are of low stretch material, the length would be only a 100 to 130 feet in length, and that may not be enough to put the tow back where it belongs.

If you are a rescue vessel, you will have proper bits, proper tow lines etc. But most of us in C Dorys, have to us what we have.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: