The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Rendering (or receiving) assistance while afloat.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anchorout

City/Region: Lake Charles
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: EZ DUZIT
Photos: EZ DUZIT
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: towed Reply with quote

I would like to add to the previous blog. While in St. Martin, replacing an inboard engine, I had to be towed from the lift to a slip, by one of the marina crew. We tied the tow line to my front cleat and I steered while being towed. I immediately realized that the idiot towing me was in a big hurry. My shouts to "slow down" fell on deaf ears. As he powered into the slip and ducked out the side, leaving me to lasso a piling or ram into the concrete dock, I learned the number one rule of BEING towed.

Always have a way to disconnect from the other vessel, a few extra wraps around the cleat for an easier release or a sharp knife may save you from making a bad situation worse.

ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thread Casey. Along with a sharp knife and a long "floating" line to to with, I keep a shorter line to build a bridle to keep the towed object in my boats center rather than off a single cleat. Don't tie to the bow cleat of the rescued boat if possible. Take your long line thru his cleat or bow eye and back to yours. You can easily cast off if needed.
Real tow boats have a tow pylon ahead of the prop or rudder but we'll make do. Not towed yet with a c dory but several times in sailboats as well as ungrounding a couple sailboats. If people are in a small boat I agree with getting them into the bigger rescuing boat and getting blankets on them (shock) and water and or warm liquid into them. People can be funny when scared. Get the CG involved via radio that you have taken a vessel under tow to the nearest safe refuge with how many souls aboard and any details.
If someone wants to insist you take them somewhere else, you may insist that you are the salvaging skipper and any lip makes their vessel yours perhaps. You are now on official business your hands are full navigating, rendering assistance to medical needs and dealing with CG for possible assistance yourself.
Rescuing folks is the right thing to do and at the same time can be stressful as well as dangerous and legally tricky. Would quiet most.
A sinking vessel that you ultimately can't save is a danger to you. Be situationally aware. You do not want to be capsized by a sinking boat.
Vessels afire are best abandoned and save the occupants. Don't try to fight the fire.

Salvage laws are in place to protect good Samaritans. The boats I've towed to near marinas, I bring them in to raft on the "hip" ie smaller boats to my aft corners. Bigger boats I'm in their aft quarter. Just as we would in a failed engine, strap your motorized dinghy to your aft quarter, fire up and go home. Had a fried try to tow his 36 ft sailboat in a dinghy with a 6 hp. He radiod me ashore for advice. . I had him raft up and steer from the big boat. His speed doubled and comfort level exponentialed.
When you have your tow near crowded waters, do your raft up procedure. Tight spring lines fore and aft and breast lines bow and stern. Make the 2 boats as one. As many fenders between and around as you have.
Get their fenders and lines ready of the rescued ( if they have them!) and Locate a dock, not a slip and land them as gently as you can. I have looked for open docks or fuel barges with a landing into the wind if possible. Boat ramps with docks are good to. Or repair marina yards or port authority or police docks also may be good. Slips in marinas are difficult to land your rafted vessel in. Get them tied up and move them later. Best of luck. George
williwaw

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Williwaw
Photos: Williwaw
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious why I don't read more about pushing the DSC button in an emergency. We always say get on 16 and start the MAYDAY sequence but why wouldn't you first push the DSC panic button? It takes like three seconds.

Seems like nobody is pushing the button. I've heard a few MAYDAYs over the years but never seen a DSC alert.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

williwaw wrote:
I'm curious why I don't read more about pushing the DSC button in an emergency. We always say get on 16 and start the MAYDAY sequence but why wouldn't you first push the DSC panic button? It takes like three seconds.

Seems like nobody is pushing the button. I've heard a few MAYDAYs over the years but never seen a DSC alert.

Williwaw, do you have your MMSI# programmed into your VHF? If you do, the DSC will work very rapidly. If Not, It will work but it takes considerably longer, may seem like infinitely longer if you are the one waiting.

A mayday call is a declaration of life at risk, Sinking, fire or a serious medical emergency. Not all towing situations are at that level of risk.

In 8 years here, boating on my C-Dory I have heard 2 Mayday calls. I have (to this point) not been towed or needed one, and have towed 3 times, not counting twice during support boat activities involved with organized rowing races.

I agree that an "on the hip" tow is much easier to control, and have used that twice to get into a marina dock. All tows have been my size boat or smaller and have been done from the tie down loops on the stern or the factory cleats when doing the hip tow.

I had one experience with a 20 foot sail boat, that reported being out of fuel, 500 feet from the marina entry. Rapidly this was determined to be a grounding, on a falling tide, where I released them and gave them the option to ride to shore, call Vessel Assist, or wait out the tide on board. Where they were, they were going to be fully dry, before the tide reached the low and came back again. (This couple did not have a clue, They were on a swing keep boat with not way to swing the keel up -- broken. Had no idea of the water depth where they were, and had no chart of any kind. Yup, there was a lawn chair in the cockpit. Evil or Very Mad

I have 2 ea, 75ft lines, and 2 ea, 50 foot lines on board, a 100ft with a buoy, and a black rubber shock absorber to use in the tow line. Also am monitoring VHF16 continuously as well as carrying several extra PFD's. Boating solo, my plan to get someone our of the water, would be to tilt them on board by riding the OB up until they can essentially fall into the splash well.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scuba gear. This is what i have used to assist other mariners more than any other item. Fouled props, fouled anchors. A couple of times friends of mine have had to plug the through hulls of some WAFI due to saltwater gain in the bilge from and unknown location; so dowels and rags.

When it comes to those who have suffered mechanical failure, ran out of gas or have succumb to their own lack of seamanship, well i'm rather callous in my rendering of assistance unless there is an immediate danger to life or the marine environment; and in those situations I would consider getting the captain of the other vessel to agree to Loyd's open form. I'll gladly call vessel assist for anyone but I don't give up my day to tow someone in.

Now that being said, i've had to be towed in before and had to rely on the help of my fellow mariners and I insured they were compensated for assistance rendered.

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Saturday Susan and I helped out my duck club, Washington Waterfowl Association , with a clean up on a public hunting area on Farmed Island in Conway. We boat in clean up all the blinds or shells and trash. It was not to bad. On the way out I had to tow the club Pres. because his 9 hp mercury would not start. Now there 20 guys in 5 boats, all open sled, waiting for him to get the motor going. No amount of cord pulling or spark plug changes was getting it started again. so I ended up towing him from my stern cleat.

The commits above made me remember a important tip that I always do if possible. If I am towing or being towed I always wrap the line around a cleat but do not tie it off. I hold the tag end in my hand encase I have to let go of the tow. You can not always do this because of being alone or some times size of boat. I also always make sure that I or who ever is watching the line has a good knife out and ready. well that was one more tow for the year.

chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I towed a boat about 10 miles once. The towed boat owner was grateful and more than paid for my gas bill voluntarily.

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
'o cino

City/Region: Aviano
State or Province: Other
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've towed others a few times, and always rig with halyard QR shackles. The release pin can be activated by pulling on a 5mm line (whatever length works for you) even under load. Having a Halyard shackle at both ends allows anyone to release the tow in the event of a problem. Being remote from the tow line when released is a plus...no reaching under a rail, etc. to cut a tow loose. Surprised nobody has mentioned putting a small lobster float near the towline ends to keep it from sinking and potentially fouling...even a flotation cushion will work in a pinch.

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion..."
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,

What size halyard shackles are you using? The small ones I have seem like they might not stand up to the surges and strain of a tow in seas.

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Best line-cutting knife? Reply with quote

Best line-cutting knife?
Over the decades I've tried many line-cutter knives, from those like in Dr Bob's gallery to military Ka-Bar type fighting knives (mostly $60-
$130), but recently bought this one for $29 from Landfall. Very solid, tough and well made, folding action is a safety feature, and more purpose-built for cutting lines. Feels like it would last a lifetime, with lifetime warranty.

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/buckfoldingsaw.html

"This lightweight, compact, folding camp saw features a strong locking mechanism and 7 inches of casehardened offset teeth - perfect for cutting the melted polypropylene Lobster Trap off your Propeller Shaft. Its closed length is 8 1/2 inches and there is a hole in the handle through which to string a lanyard.
Practical, super-sharp, and indispensable. This 7 inch folding saw might likely become your favorite tool. Compact enough to keep in a pocket, this saw features the best triple-angle blade on the market today. The unique, variable-tooth blade design planes wood away far faster than ordinary, repetitive triple-angle designs. The blade locks in place when cutting to eliminate accidental closure and folds and locks into the handle for easy storage.
Features: Double-grind saw blade cuts on the pull and push strokes • Comfortable non-slip grip • Blade safely folds and locks into handle for storage • Blade length-7 inches • Lifetime warranty
#SBSAW$29.95"

Any other favorite line-cutters among Brats? Oddly, I can't find this anywhere else online.
Cheers!
John

BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use

Lost Petrel

City/Region: Potter Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Wild Blue
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these on my PFD

http://lostpetrel.blogspot.com/
Other boats;
Cape Dory Typhoon
Pearson Ariel
My Galleries
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have carried a Leatherman Wave for about 10 years now. Seems like I couldn't live without it. If I don't use it a couple of times a day for something, It's not a regular day.

[img]http://demandware.edgesuite.net/sits_pod21/dw/image/v2/AAMV_PRD/on/demandware.static/Sites-leatherman-Site/Sites-master/en_US/v1424287886595/large/10-wave.jpg?sw=763&sh=763&sm=fit&sfrm=png[/img]

If that works you should see a cool tool. OR (since it didn't) copy and paste it into your address line to get to it. Sorry.

Here is the link to Leatherman:
http://www.leatherman.com/10.html

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Last edited by hardee on Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be posting this into a different thread but something that can come into play and have serious consequences is how a location is reported off the GPS. Turns out there are 3 different systems and all three are in place and under use. There are even different systems in uses on a single vessel at times.

Need to know which you are using and how to report it.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'o cino wrote:
I've towed others a few times, and always rig with halyard QR shackles. The release pin can be activated by pulling on a 5mm line (whatever length works for you) even under load. Having a Halyard shackle at both ends allows anyone to release the tow in the event of a problem. Being remote from the tow line when released is a plus...no reaching under a rail, etc. to cut a tow loose. Surprised nobody has mentioned putting a small lobster float near the towline ends to keep it from sinking and potentially fouling...even a flotation cushion will work in a pinch.

I see a lot of issues using Quick release shackles. Most halyard shackles are not quick release. I have many tens of thousands of miles of ocean racing, on boats up to 62 feet. The only sail we use a quick release on is a spinaker, and it is not only the halyard, but also the clues. There are specific reasons to dump a spinaker quickly. Many of the "spinaker Halyards" have some weaknesses and I have seen them fail. Many of these are made in China. The only ones I used are made by Wichard, or one of the US manufactures who have proofed the shackle. Even with a high quality shackle, I will never trust my life to one of these shackles--I always tie a bowline (and second safety line) before going up the rig--which I have done many times, at sea as well as at anchor or in a slip.

Lets say that some one who you are towing decides to release the fitting--this then becomes a missle and could easily injure someone on the boat which is being towed. It is imparative that persons on both boats be protected from the line, and any fittings on the line. Any decision to release a tow line should be agreed upon by both the boat doing the towing and the boat being towed.

What fitting would you put a spinaker quick release fitting into on the towing boat, and the boat being towed?

As for a float--that is standard on a bridle from which I use--not on the line being used as a tow line. If you don't use a bridle, then use a specific flat, but tie it to the line. I would not use a floatation cushion, nor would I use a "lobster pot float" There are a number of plastic covered ovoid type floats which work well for this applicaiton.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: