The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Rendering (or receiving) assistance while afloat.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Rendering (or receiving) assistance while afloat. Reply with quote

The subject of rendering, or receiving, assistance while afloat is something we've often thought about, but I don't recall seeing it discussed on C-Brats; so here goes....

We are all actively engaged in recreational (sometimes commercial) boating in one way or another. Day trips, longer cruises, and often in all types of weather. Many 'Brats are members of USCG/A, USPS and other affiliations. We probably have various items and techniques we use to render assistance to vessels or people in danger. I'm sure there are a number of considerations we think about ranging from can-we-help, to liability issues and getting in over our head(s) in a rescue situation. (Example: In 2012 we came upon a largish Nordic Tug near Rosario that as billowing smoke. It was too large for us to take under tow, so after contacting the Captain, we opted to standby in the event a crew evacuation became necessary. It all turned out ok, but it got us to thinking about several issues.)

We always have a decently stout line that can be employed as an emergency tow line, and can both prepare a towing bridle in a jiffy when necessary. On one occasion outside Ketchikan we slowly towed a 20' boat with five aboard about eight miles to the nearest safe harbor. Naturally we requested all five passenger's to don their PFD's ... they had two. As we neared the closest safe-harbor the "captain" asked if we'd tow them several more miles "to where their truck was parked...." We declined. As we reached the courtesy dock the current and traffic was attention-getting so we decided to modify the aft-tow to a side-tow. It was challenging, but we made it. We were even happier to have previously discussed our game plan and choices. Prior planning, and all that.

Then there was the rescue of two boaters in an overturned vessel a mile outside Tenekee Springs in 2006 - but that's another story.

So now it's YOUR turn!

What thoughts do you have on the subject?
What equipment to you normally carry aboard for rendering assistance?
What are some of your (anticipagted) techniques?
What techniques do commercial tow operator's use?
Have you discussed with crew members their roles?
Do you know what you'd say to the USCG if you had to make an emergency or precautionary radio call? (Hint: position, identification, situation, medical issues, intentions, etc).

Best,
Casey&Mary

BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have not assisted anyone but others have helped us on the water. We have extra lines, life jackets, cushions, 2 radios and listen for distress calls. Our plan is a perform a self assessment of the situation just like it a roadside mishap and both of us are trained to a modest level on situational awareness (like active shooter training at work) , is it safe?, do we feel comfortable providing help or wait for the pros?, with talk with the other boaters and determine their stress levels, etc this may be towing them, getting them gas or battery jump, maybe it something I can repaired like a broken fuel lines or leaking primer bulbs, bad electrical connections.... many factors to determine... do the drill, remain calm, look, hear, listen then talk objectively and gather as many details as possible) and maintain eye contact. First thing we would check for under substance intoxication, guns, presence of criminal intent like drug runners which are common in SW Florida, etc and we are fully prepared to defend ourselves which I dont expect will ever occur but there is no shortage criminal activity on water and land. If they are in water, throw a cushion, life jacket, ring....I am still strong enough to pull most folks into the boat or the transom bracket.. We boat mostly in Charlotte Harbor and most of breakdown we see are sailboats and their motor quit working and waiting on the tow boat. If they are hurt we have a first aid kit, extra clothes, etc and trained on CPR but no advanced training ( we can draw blood and culture wounds, etc...LOL) and we would call the CG for assistance and ready to evacuate them to an ambulance
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years I have towed about 8 boats including a duck hunter this winter. I have unstuck a sail boat that was aground in la connor channel, pulled people off a sinking boat , pulled two people out of the water of a over turned boat in the winter and I have brought gas to at least two boater. I tow or help people because its the right thing to do and I just might need the help again. I got towed by the fire department this winter in my duck boat when the motor blew. 15 degrees out with a out going tide and only a hour of sunlight left, I made the call and they were happy to come get me.

I have enough rope to tow most boats my size or a little larger. extra life vest, flares and a way to pump gas from my tanks to another boat. you cant help everyone but you can stand by and keep coast guard aware of the problem. i just cant see not helping people on the water but I have sen boats go right past a guy waving. I have seen people refuse to tow people because they were busy fishing. Nothing is as important as a human life.

Lost Petrel

City/Region: Potter Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Wild Blue
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and a way to pump gas from my tanks to another boat.

Curious what you use to transfer fuel.

http://lostpetrel.blogspot.com/
Other boats;
Cape Dory Typhoon
Pearson Ariel
My Galleries
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rendering (or receiving) assistance while afloat. Reply with quote

Casey wrote:

As we neared the closest safe-harbor the "captain" asked if we'd tow them several more miles "to where their truck was parked...." We declined.

I learned this lesson the hard way. One hot august evening we were out fishing and conditions quickly went from calm and glassy, to 25-35 knot wind. As we headed back to the marina, I see a young lady in a small dinghy frantically trying to start her kicker in the main channel moving about 5 knots with the current in open water. My friends and I circled around and asked if we could help. I threw a line attached to our starboard side rear cleat, and she held on as we slowly brought her back to the guest dock at the marina. Great, good deed done for the day I thought. Except at this point she begs me to tow her, her dogs and this dinghy out to a large sailboat moored back out in the harbor. I didn't want to do it because conditions were rough, but she had a pretty face and I was young, stupid and single. I agreed. The wind waves were probably around 3 feet with whitewater cresting some of the waves. The tow went wrong, when for some reason she tied the line off to her mid ship cleat. I assume her hand hurt so that was a convenient place to tie off. I look back and we're towing her boat broadside into the waves. I should have bailed and towed her back to the dock but I didn't. I had her attach the rope to her bow eye, and we slowly made it out to the sailboat. As we got to the large boat, the chop made any safe boarding impossible. Both my larger boat and her dinghy were crashing into her sailboat with the wind waves. At that point I panicked, and said I had to tow her back to the dock. What I learned was not to agree to anything more than just getting them to safety. I knew it was sketchy but I agreed anyway.

I always carry enough tow line and safety gear to assist. A kind soul towed me back as a youngster when I broke my steering and prop on a submerged stump in a very remote alpine lake. Ill never forget that and always assist if I can.
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 27 has a inline fuel pump from the previous motor. I dont use it anymore but its still there , in line and with a switch on the dash, and I can run a fuel line from it to a gas can or even to a fuel tank if we are close enough. It pumps about a gallon a minute at most. I use it to fuel my dinghy and have used it to fill small 2 to 3 gallon tanks. Very easy and simple.

You can buy gas inline fuel pumps at any auto zone type store. These are replacement units for cars or trucks when the in tank pump goes out. Connect a set of electric clips for power ( long ones) and 5 to 10 feet of hose at either end and you have a fuel transfer set up for about $50 bucks. do not use oil or diesel pumps. They are not rated for gas. Keep the whole thing in a large zipp lock bag or tupper ware.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have towed disabled boats with our boats over the years... important that you have some way of easily and quickly releasing the line from your boat and theirs... in case things really go into the crapper.

As Tom stated, it is the right thing to do - rending any aid within your capabilities while on the water.

While working in the Tetons, when I wasn't driving one of the cruise boats, I was on call with our rescue boat. I have pulled people out of the water, off rocks, dealt with hypothermia, towed in disabled boats, rescued sinking boats, found lost kayakers, etc, etc. We trained monthly for MOB, fires, security issues, oil/fuel spills, crew incapacitation.

With our jobs in Friday Harbor, I train first mates on all safety/rescue procedures. One first mate learned first hand what cold water does to someone who goes in, surprised. The guy fell off his own boat, and we got to him in about 30 seconds... he could barely raise his arms to aid in his own rescue. It took three of us to get him out of the water.

To go along with this, crew is required to have first aid and CPR training. I took that course initially when I first got a captains license... I was so impressed with the training that I signed Joan up for it. Since we are frequently away from civilization, it is important that BOTH of you can do whatever is necessary to get the other one back. If you haven't taken this training, I highly recommend it. We have to get re-certified every two years, and the recommended procedures do change. The Red Cross and the American Heart Association both offer good training.

Things to have on the boat, besides that required by the USCG, would be a blanket or two, tools (including a sharp knife), a first aid kit, and a couple ways of contacting emergency services (VHF and a cell phone). A cell phone alone doesn't help when the need is immediate and there are other boats that could give aid nearby. Decent size fenders, in case you have to raft up. Anchor(s) suitable for the area you boat. Extra line sufficient to tow. A block and tackle with a sling to get someone back onboard.

Situational awareness is important, too. Could you give someone on the radio your location at any time?

Nice to have the training and never need it. WAY better than the other way around.

Jim

PS I got to be the tow-ee last summer when a starter wouldn't disengage while out in Haro Strait. No indication at the helm, the first mate asked me to "check on that weird noise." We had to transfer passengers to another boat (the eyes got pretty big when I said, "We are going to have you put on the life jackets we talked about in the safety briefing...", and we drifted for 45 minutes while waiting for Vessel Assist. I have been on the other side of it - my first time doing "the walk of shame" being towed back into the marina. It wasn't that bad - sure better than bobbing around out there. Wink
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I considered buying Black and Decker Jack Rabbit (peristaltic tyoe) pump to transfer gas but seems to be overpriced

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004L0O3F8/ref=dra_a_rv_mr_hn_it_P1400_1000?tag=dradisplay-20&ascsubtag=266e123140cd617f8f5767a5210ed7d1_S
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brent I would jump on that for the price. I do not know of another hand pump that will handle gas for any price that does not go on a barrel. I want on for the boat and the shop.
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We carry two 50 foot lines for going thru the locks and for towing, a two gallon backup fuel can, a water ski flag (you can't be too careful), a plastic step on a 4' line (useless for a drunk who falls in), and a seabag full of orange vests.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: assisting Reply with quote

Hi Casey!
Thanks for providing yet another forum where we can learn from each others 'best practices' and incorporate them into our own.
Also, I hope 'newbies' learn how not to be regarded as 'dummies' by experienced boaters here.
I would have told that 'captain', "I won't take you in tow unless you promise to take a USCG approved boating safety course before you ever step in another boat again. Otherwise, you and all your buds drown close to here. Deal?"
OK, I must be in a sullen mood.
Every mariner should provide any vessel in distress whatever life-saving/health-saving, and then vessel-saving/property-damage mitigating assistance whenever he/she can SAFELY do so, based on crew experience and training, while, at a minimum, evacuating, hailing/obtaining additional assistance and standing by for it to arrive.
Our USCG-AUX members/experts can surely expand on that.
This means giving up the fishing, tubing, and having VHF 16 on whenever the engine is on, and changing to CG 22A whenever the CG says to so on VHF 16.
Kind of hard to argue with that, and so far, no one is.
Now I'm going to stake out a hard-core position here and I may well be the lonesome outlier as so often:
JamesTX didn't explicitly say it, but the USCG does NOT require you to have a VHF radio on your boat. If you can't afford a Cabelas' special Cobra $38 handheld 5w portable VHF, (better than no VHF, but not by much) you can not afford to be boating.
JamesTX didn't explicitly say it, but the USCG does NOT require you to have a anchor suitable to your boat and your local anchoring conditions, but if you can't afford that, you can not afford to be boating.
Boats have breakdowns, mostly routine issues. The proper response to this is IF AVAILABLE, BUY AN ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP (my Gold Sea-Tow has been from $79 to now $160 over the past 30+ years), Vessel-Assist, BoatUS, or whoever provides services in your area. Me towing you is like one un-insured Mississippi driver towing another at 20 MPH with a withered rope on I-10 (better yet, the 6th lane of I-75) halfway on the shoulder and halfway on the road...a Good Samaritan causing death and destruction because neither had the truck, money, equipment, experience, or training required to do it properly, so they did it improperly, while congratulating themselves on being frugal. If you can't afford that, you can not afford to be boating.
If there are none, don't be an incompetent boater by deferring maintance, running out of gas, old gas, 5 year old spark plugs, 5 year old batteries, etc etc. Do EVERY SINGLE THING YOUR ENGINE MFGR ADVISES.... If you can't afford that, you can not afford to be boating.
If you trailer, buy trailering insurance from the provider of your choice avg $15/yr. Write down all your trailer/tow vehcicle measurements (they will ask). If you can't afford that, you can not afford to be boating.
Replace ALL your trailer tires including un-used spare(s) 3-4 years from the DOT DOM Stamp (num wk/mo ie 0510 is 5th wk of 2010 means replace now regardless of tread wear). If you can't afford that, you can not afford to be boating.
If you boat, boating properly is not always congruent with boating frugally.

IF YOU CAN'T DO IT RIGHT, THEN DON'T DO IT AT ALL.
This applies to everything from A BOAT to VASECTOMIES and ZEBRA CARE and everything in between.
My view is that you may have trailered down from Wisconsin and only have 5 days here, and for me to wave you down and ask you to give up 20% of your expensive vacation time to tow me to my dock for some routine dork stupidity on my part as a numbskull boater (see my post 'Tough Boating Day Ends With Sea-Tow'), then I am being selfish and improperly stealing your valuable time. Same as if I wave you down on I-75, instead of calling AAA ($71/yr for each of us, and well worth it).
I RESENT boaters who don't follow the Rules (even more those boaters who have no idea that Rules even exist), who ignore them, and who count on good boaters to rescue them from their stupid decisions. I'll still drag you out of your burning boat, give you a ride to wherever you want, take you all into my boat, and call whichever tow service you bought service with, or whichever you want to pay your $600-$1200 to for the tow you want that THEY will give you.
Even as a poor medical student towing a used Sunfish behind a 20 year old Buick, I had all the USCG requirements and boating safety courses. You should too.
Oh, Casey, to answer your test question re making a proper VHF distress call.... from my previously posted checklist:
Here's my (ex-USAF Flight Surgeon) checklist:
http://www.amazon.com/Flight-Crew-Checklist-Binder-Protectors/dp/B005E0TF8O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416187617&sr=8-1&keywords=flight+checklist
VHF RADIOS:
#1 FIXED GARMIN 200 ON NETWORK
#2 HANDHELD STD HOR 871 GPS HELM BACKUP
#3 WATERPROOF ICOM IN DITCH BAG
#4 HANDHELD STD HORIZEN 871 GPS IN SAFE (LIGHTNING PROTECTED).
VHF DISTRESS CALL:
SELECT CH 16 (RED BUTTON ON SHIP VHF).
PRESS PPT (PUSH TO TALK) “MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY,
THIS IS MV CAT 'O MINE, MISSISSIPPI 5471 BRAVO-UNICORN.”
REPEAT 3 TIMES...
SAY LOCATION (READ LAT/LONG GPS POSITION OFF RADIO LCD).
NATURE OF EMERGENCY: (FIRE, TAKING ON WATER, ETC). NUMBER OF PERSONS ON BOARD:
CONDITION OF ANY INJURES:
SEAWORTHINESS:
I AM CAT O' MINE, A 30 FT PILOTHOUSE POWER CATAMARAN, TWIN YAMAHA F150 OUTBOARDS, CREAM COLOR, BROWN BROW.
“I WILL BE LISTENING ON CHANNEL 16. THIS IS M/V CAT O'MINE, MISSISSIPPI 5471 -BRAVO-UNICORN.”

If a significant number of Brats vote me 'Elitist Snob A-Hole Brat' for these views, then I will change my handle to that.
The Outlier Yet Again But Used To It By Now,
Cheers!
John

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea how many assists we have given thru the years--from a Windsurfer who was 10 miles offshore, downwind i the trades in the caribbean to kids in dinghies, to boats way larger than ours. Longest tow was over 30 miles. We always monitor the radio channel 16, and are ready to give assistance.

My pet pieve is CG Aux who will not accept a tow for the last few miles into a ramp, especially when I had boats which could not get get near to a ramp due to draft or mast height.

One thing I did not see mentioned, is that with small boats, such as dinghies or even small runabouts, it is much safer to bring the "crew" aboard your boat, than try to tow a dinghy with a dog and potentially injured person. That way you know what the condition the people in the other boat are in (hypothermia, dehydrated, psychotic --yep that has happened -- etc).
Then you have life jackets for those you take aboard, can warm, give food, water etc….

Not only should you have stout lines, but understand what risks there are to towing--such as using deck hardware, which often is not backed well enough. You should know how to bridle a a boat you are towing--that is putting a line around the boat, supporting the line from cleats, with short lines, and putting the pressure on the hull, rather than deck cleats which might fail under load. Also if towing, be sure that none of your crew is in a position where a parting line, or failing cleat would injure them. Be safe! .

Also know how to properly "tow on the hp". Be sure and have adequate fendering, as well as know how to use lines properly and handle both boats. If you cannot do it properly, then standby for rescue of people until professional tow folks arrive. I have also stood by a boat were there was a risk, even after commercial assistance had been requested. Often boats in distress do not have adequate battery power for communication for a longer period.

As far as power--our C Dory 22's can manage boats up to 50 feet or more, in most conditions. Where it gets dicy is if there is heavy wind or strong current. I bring out the example where we pushed out 62 foot 32 ton vessel with a 10 foot dinghy and 5 hp up to 2.5 knots,(so we had steerage) and then when we got the 13 foot inflatable with 25 hp, going, we got up to 5 knots. We were able to dock the boat with only inches fore and aft with that combination. We had lost the transmission, due to a broken output gear system.

One of the issues, is prop torque or "walk" as you begin to get way on. You need to allow for this, and understand that once steerage-way is on the larger vessel, the skipper of that vessel, should be helping by steering with his rudder (even with a small rudder as high speed power boats, or an I/O.

I'll have to admit we now longer have our re-certification of CPR yearly, but since both of us have been instructors, as well as have given both basic and advanced life support for many years, we feel comfortable giving CPR, and first aid, or even advanced aid if necessary, and we have the proper gear (since we no longer practice medicine, we don't carry the medical gear we did in the past.) I would advise people who do not have a lot of experience in CPR or first aid, to get re-certified at least every other year. I consider CPR and basic first aid as a prerequisite for boating.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic and something that I once did for my daily job.

Last year I towed 12 boats and most did not have a pot to piss in and several had passengers sitting on lawn chairs, inside of boats that were unquestionably unseaworthy. For those folks, it hardly makes since to try and talk to them about boating safety (I taught this for several years full time back in the 70's), because if they had one lick of since, they would not have launched their boat.

I tow slow and if they are drunk, I stand by and call the CG (did this several times, even though the drunks were really pissed off at me and shouted profanity for the duration). When I tow, I make them put on life jackets before I pass a line. I set the tow line up, so that I can slip it if things don't go well. I tow to the nearest safe mooring and I release the tow as I drift toward the dock, so that the tow does not hit my boat.

Seems like there are too many folks out there that should not be, even though there is regulations in place now that does require most folks to have successfully completed a boating safety course and carry identification proving this in Virginia (where I live) as well as many other states.

In 2007, a center console boat ran over me while I was sailing (over my back) and cut the sailboat that I was in in half. The guy was VP of a major corporation, had no insurance and had never taken a boating course. He said that he was daydreaming. The judge let him off the hook for negligence operation, provided that he took a Boating Safety course.

Bottom line, be safe and look after yourself and ensure that you minimize risk when being a good Samaritan.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, Casey has set up another interesting discussion.

In the 13 seasons we have now cruised with our C-Dory, we have only had a reason to take another vessel under tow once & that was a fellow C-Brat at Lake Powell & we have never been in need of assistance from anyone else yet. If in my judgment, I can provide help to a boat & crew in need, I will, knowing no matter how well one is prepared ---- &-/@ happens & hopefully someone will do the same for us. Where we do the majority of our cruising in Southeast Alaska, the number of boats on the radio or encountered is few & of those, I believe Darwin's Theory, pretty quickly weeds out the unprepared & incompetent & is another of the many reasons, I prefer this area to cruise. It would be very rare to find such as Casey described near Ketchikan in any of the more remote areas away from the towns or at least in our many miles traveled in these areas we haven't seen it. On the other hand it's not uncommon especially near the towns to hear on the radio reports of missing people & small open boats. Many of the locals use these small boats for transportation to & from their homes & to fish & crab out of. A few are such as Casey encountered, but the majority, a very competent folk, well versed on survival in a tough environment where even a minor screw up or just a sudden fluke weather change can spell disaster.

From my experience, all self taught to start & then added to from our cruising the last 13 years in our CD22 with very little prior boating experience & none in a boat its size, the choice of the CD22 for the style of cruising we envisioned was the best of all the safety precautions made from then after with what we could afford to start. It has cushioned our learning curve through our boating adventures like possibly no other boat in its price range could. All other boating knowledge including all the added safety gear & it's use would not have made up for the basic boat chosen for the application we desired. In 2003 soon after our boats purchase we were cruising down the notorious Lynn Canal from Skagway to Juneau & the last thing on my mind was how I could be prepared to rescue another boat. Now in preparation for this coming springs again return to these waters I'am prepared & feel confident I at least wouldn't make a bad situation worse if assistance to another boat was needed. I'm also very glad that we chose to do what we did in 2003 & to learn on the go as we did.

Jay

Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Jim's comment about having a knife onboard I've got to tell the Tenakee Springs (AK) story.

I was at the town dock, solo, and preparing to go over to the fuel dock. When I turned on the VHF (CH16) I heard someone saying "...there appears to be an overturned boat out near the Tenakee Reef" (The Tenakee Reef is a shallow rock area about a mile out from Tenakee.)

I looked (nice to have binoc's handy), and sure enough there was a boat overturned. I responded and found two local guy's in the water, clinging to the overturned hull. I helped one guy climb aboard and another vessel picked up the second man.

Here's what happened:

The local fellows were being good citizens and had towed an old pig iron boiler (several thousand pounds...) from a derelict vessel ashore intending to sink it in deep water. They had lashed the large (but floatable) boiler to the side of their less-than-a month-old 20' vessel and motored it to deep water. They then proceeded to shoot several holes in the boiler with a (borrowed) high power rifle, intending to sink the boiler. As the very heavy boiler began to sink, the captain told his companion to cut-the-load-loose.

Companion: "I thought YOU brought a knife."
Captain: "YOU were supposed to bring the knife!"
In unison: "...uh oh" (probably not a verbatim quote...)

As the sinking load became heavier and heavier the (new) boat began listing more and more until it eventually overturned. The lashing was too tight to untie and they had no knife to cut it loose, so over they went. Man(x2) Overboard....! They were very lucky someone ashore just happened to be watching, and was able to make a blind radio call.

Moral of the Story: Always have a knife handy(!) and maybe a safety vessel close by.

If anyone is interested I know where the borrowed .308(?) rifle is ... but it's in about 400' of water.

Best,
Casey&Mary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: