The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Electric Trolling Motor
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Electric Trolling Motor Reply with quote

Has anyone front mounted an electric trolling motor on a CD 22'? I have a Minnkota Auto Pilot with a 48" shaft from another boat. Hanging it between the bow rail mounting flanges, the prop is below the paint line. It seems this could make the boat more versatile, ie: bass or crappie fishing along the lake shore.
Spike

City/Region: Kent
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Bootleg Hooch
Photos: Bootleg Hooch
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken
Hi. how are you all doing? Am thinking that you woud burn through a battery pretty quick pushing a boat with the weight of a 22' cruiser. But I guess a guy could try.
Chuck
Bootleg Hooch
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the fishing angle but it would make a niffty bow thurster for docking.

Give it a try and let us know how it performs. Good Luck.

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem I can see is that boats buck and rock and unless the trolling motor is well under water , the prop will come out of the water and you will have a fancy bow decoration that wont work well unless its dead calm . But the wireless remote type trolling motors would be the answer on a C Dory for sure . Hope it works . Keep us posted .
Marc

kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping someone else would take the bait and give it a try before I mounted it on my boat. Razz

Makes sense that the motor would be in and out of the water if there was any chop at all, because of the bow up attitude of the C-Dory. I'll let you know how it works. Thanks
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this going to start a discussion on the value of singles vs twins vs triples ? Twisted Evil

Merv

Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12 Vs. 24 Vs. 36 Volts . The new battle .
Marc
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like you would need a motor leg about 7' long. I have thought about a good one several times and just put it on the transom, for those really calm days. But those are few and far between.
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another thread here in which there is a long discussion about using the kind of trolling motor that attaches to an outboard.

L@@K HERE

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how about that bow mount option?

I use a remote controlled unit now on a Lund and I sure would miss it. They have 54 and 60 inch shafts availble from Minn Kota at least. Can somebody measure a 22 from bow deck between the vertical supports on one side to the resting water line?

Could it be mounted around the existing cleat and anchor hardware? How wide is a 22 front deck in front of the V-berth hump? I am picturing one mounted sideways and positioned on the deck edge of one side spanning nearly the width of the forward deck. They have a mount (black or white) that only requires the top smaller block in this pic.

http://www.boaterbarn.com/images_products/minn_kota_mka_22_mounting_54693big.jpg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 60 shaft 83# Thrust trolling motor on my Caracal. The freeboard is about 6" less on the Caracal--they are sitting side by side on the trailer. But the Caracal, being a cat, has a huge for deck and we put the trolling motor when "up" along the top of one AMA. To put this size trolling motor on a C Dory would be awkward at best. You have the forward hatch and bow railing/pulpit to contend with. The Caracal has a platform mounted fishing seat so that one can control the motor easily by hand or foot option.

We use two #27 batteries to power this motor--and that is sufficient. But for that size motor (the minimum size necessary for a C dory 22) you would use more power than for the smaller caracal cat, with its narrow hulls.

I believe that it would not be practical--and that is why I have a Center console, boat which has a dedicated casting fishing platform for the trolling motor.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
nordicstallion

City/Region: Crescent City
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Rylee Rose
Photos: Rylee Rose
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the trolling motor off my old fly fishing pram on my transom. Took it off again, it REALLY didn't like the salt water
DuckDogTitus

C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont believe the weight of the boat is a problem, our old Lund weighed 1,000lbs more than a 22ft C-Dory.

http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/choosing-a-trolling-motor.html

personally I think the problem is just the awkwardness of casting, but I'm very picky. also I kinda think the cabin creates more of a sail than a flat bass boat, so if you are working the shallows hard, it seems like you could very easily be fighting the breeze much more so in than in a flat bass boat with no wind block at all.

I definitely understand the idea though. bass boats and duck boats were high on my radar, but in the end they didn't make the cut.

Aurelia

Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use a 55lb salt water bow mount on our current Lund. It is a relatively light boat but still 17ft long with 7.5ft beam and more draft than a 19/22.

We power it with two group 31AGM batteries and have never been able to get them down below 85% charge. We use the boat almost entirely in the Puget Sound and steer the motor with a wireless remote I-Pilot system. We have found the 55lb motor to be perfectly adequate and with a Kipawa prop pushes the boat at about 3mph when needed but that is not how we use it.

I really love the GPS anchor mode where the motor steers and powers itself to hold the boat in one location and for that I think the power requirement is significantly less than trolling along all the time. We use it in moderate winds and currents with no problems.

I can see the motor across the bow of a C-dory as a bit of an eyesore/tripping pole but wonder about the simple feasibility.

What is that distance from bow edge (next to rear railing base) to the water line? And how wide is the 22 at that point across the deck? If it could fit it could work and that would be great.

I don't think this type of autopilot motor would work well of the stern or I would be looking into that as an alternative. I think dragging a boat around by the rear would not quite be the same. But from a front corner....
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the aft base of the railing it is about 33" to the water, at the mid point about 34" and bow almost 36" (depends on loading, trim and weight on bow). The dimension across the deck forward of the aft railing is about 44" (you cannot go straight across the boat, because of the cabin house above the bunk. The over all length of the 60" shaft length trolling motor is 75" (it is almost 30" longer than the boat is wide at that point--so would stick out about 12" one side and 18" on the other side--because of the configuration of the mount for the trolling motor--and there is a significant crown to the deck. The mount alone is 28"--and with the configuration of the tilt mechanism to deploy the motor it would not work because of interference with the railing. The only option would be to leave it fixed with a mount which did not bring the motor aboard, but only allowed you to pull it up and down (which has to be done manually.

I don't know what size Lund DuckDogTitus has, however I could not find one in the current line up which weighs more than a C Dory 22. As pointed out the area exposed to the wind is probably more important than weight when using trolling motors.

Lots of difference between pulling an aluminum boat around and a 22 C Dory with a trolling motor--Although a 55 may move a 22, it is not adequate--I find that the 83# thrust is about right for the 18 foot cat (low profile, since there is no T top.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: