hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Clarification. Sorry If I Miss Led You.

I have a Rocna 6Kg 13lbs and it is on 70 feet of chain. There is no swivel on the anchor and that worked well too. I tried a Manson but didn't like the high arch in the shank because in my launcher, it put the anchor point too close to the gel coat.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Chester

City/Region: home
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies.
I made a crude sketch using the dimensions given for the 6kg-13lb Vulcan and I suspect the tip would contact the bow.
Too bad as it looks cooler than the Boss. Seriously. I am a hopeless anchor geek. I also suspect it would penetrate grass better than the Boss.
I sold my original Rocna and replaced it with a 15lb Boss 'cause I became annoyed by looking around the rollbar while underway.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chester wrote:
I made a crude sketch using the dimensions given for the 6kg-13lb Vulcan and I suspect the tip would contact the bow.
Too bad as it looks cooler than the Boss. Seriously. I am a hopeless anchor geek. I also suspect it would penetrate grass better than the Boss.
I sold my original Rocna and replaced it with a 15lb Boss 'cause I became annoyed by looking around the rollbar while underway.

15# Boss is a lot of anchor. I have not seen any comparison of the two in grass--which is one of the most difficult sea beds. The best there is an old fashioned fisherman or Luke, with sharp flukes.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
johnf

City/Region: Tigard, OR
State or Province: OR
Photos: Boat Name TBD II (johnf)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All...

I've recently just installed 250 feet of 8 plait line, 50 feet of chain and 13 lb Mantus anchor (similar to Rocna). Fits nicely in the locker.

Am anxious to try it out soon on the Columbia river where I live in the Portland, Oregon area and later in the San Juans this spring.

Hoping this will be a good combination and will hope to provide a report later.

John
johnf

City/Region: Tigard, OR
State or Province: OR
Photos: Boat Name TBD II (johnf)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. I've raised and lowered in the driveway with the windlass and my first report is the tip will not contact the boat but we will see when swinging rightside in the roller.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So not quite double the anchor package for Harvey then.

US 4kg and 35ft of chain
Him 6kg and 70ft of chain

I used the smaller size because it was a good fit for a roller we already had and we do not use a windlass on this boat. We used larger chain than we could have and a bit more of it to make up the difference. Seems to have worked so far.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, I think that the 4.5 is a great choice, and with the chain, your experience has verified that. I agree that with some of the 3rd generation anchors, like the Mantus, Rocna, Boss etc that a smaller size and weight is going to be adequate, since the actual holding power is more related to fluke area in these cases.

Remember when the Danforth (OK most were not alive then) it was very controversial, because of the light weight.
OffLeash

City/Region: SEATTLE
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: OffLeash
Photos: OffLeash
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob brought up a point about the use of a snubber a long time ago in this discussion.

If you are spending $200 to $400 on a new anchor, don't forget to spend a just a few more bucks for a couple of simple rubber snubbers to make yourself a harness to absorb some of the shock that can break even some of the best anchors out.

Chester

City/Region: home
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Chester wrote:

15# Boss is a lot of anchor. I have not seen any comparison of the two in grass--which is one of the most difficult sea beds. The best there is an old fashioned fisherman or Luke, with sharp flukes.

The 15# Boss does look big on the bow of our 22' C-Dory.
The Vulcan has that chunk of steel under the shank near the toe leads me to suspect it's weight distribution would dig into weed better than the Boss. Just a guess, nothing more.
The new anchor fever has passed... for now.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vulcan 4kg fits perfect and looks good on my CD 16. In fact, it looks so good that I lock it on to the roller if I'm leaving the boat somewhere on the trailer.

The downside for me is that I don't want to use chain. I'm using lead line right now and just have to be aware of the shortcomings. I can set the anchor by putting out a lot of rode, then shorten once set. The problem is on salt where the likelihood of a 180 degree current reversal is almost certain (and likely in the middle of the night). I'm not too confident of the ability of the Vulcan to reset w/o chain. Makes for light sleeping if I don't have a stern anchor or tie.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,
Some studies with 180 reversal, as long as it is not abrupt, shows that the Vulcan and Boss both reset well. Not sure that the light chain makes all that much difference. Sleep well.
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a Manson Boss anchor for my 22. I am not sure of the purpose of the sliding bolt on the shank. Why would you move it to different positions?

Steve
thataway

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sliding bolt, in a a slot on the shank of the anchor, allows one to have a locked and fixed point of attachment at the end of the shank in most anchoring conditions. If you are in an area with rocks, cables, and trees on the bottom, the anchor may be hung up. Then you put the bolt at the point in the slot near the crown of the anchor. By going over the anchor at a course of 180* opposite to the setting course, you then are pulling the anchor up near the crown, and an anchor stuck under a rock, cable or tree will then be pulled free, by pull in the opposite direction.

Normally keep the bolt at the point near the end of the shank. I consider this a great advantage. You could put a second bolt in, and leave a trip line attached at a point near the crown also.

The disadvantage of allowing the slot to be open, and trip the anchor with a pull opposite of the setting force, is that if the wind or current suddenly shifts, it may pull the anchor out, and not reset.

Normally if the wind or current changes, the chain drags slowly across the bottom, and the pull remains at the end of the shank. The anchor slowly pivots to face the point of the new pull, without tripping.

What size Boss did you get? You may also want to put the bow SS shield on to prevent gel coat dings from the point of the anchor. See my album for details:

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had a larger boat and single-handed, I would just set an anchor trip line every night. No need to wonder if a sliding bolt would work properly, whether there was old logging cables on the bottom, or what a sliding bolt might do when the boat reversed during the night. I used an empty detergent bottle that allowed me to coil 50 feet of parachute cord on it. I didn't intend to lift the anchor with the cord (although it would be possible), I just wanted to be able to move it a few feet if the anchor was snagged. There is probably a fancier solution.

https://www.amazon.com/Octagon-Crystal-White-Liquid-Detergent/dp/B000P9GN7A

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

I have the 15lb Boss. I have not tried it on the boat yet to see how it will fit. I do have the longer anchor roller so I am hoping it will not touch the boat.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: