The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Trim Master trim tabs revisited

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Trim Master trim tabs revisited Reply with quote

For the folks who can't live without 'em, the "Da Nag" special (12 X 9 tab kit) is still available. $300 with free shipping. Just insist on the "C-Dory special price."

http://www.trimmaster.net/

I understand they compare favorably with Bennett tabs. A bit higher hydraulic pressure from what I can tell.

Hey Bill, you like yours?
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Wilbur
Photos: Da Boats
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Trim Master trim tabs revisited Reply with quote

Sneaks wrote:
I understand they compare favorably with Bennett tabs. A bit higher hydraulic pressure from what I can tell.

Hey Bill, you like yours?

I had them on my 19...they were great. Excellent quality and function, and plenty of throw and lift. Mark on 3rd Byte (previously 2nd Byte) had them on his last 22 as well, and I'm pretty sure he was happy with them.

I've got Lencos on my 22, but if you perform a search here, you can make an educated guess about which of the two I would get if doing it again today. Hint: It ain't Lenco. And I'm guessing Mark might agree with me - he ended up with Lencos on his new 22 as well.

I was looking at the TrimMaster site the other day, and noticed quite a price increase since I bought mine back in 2002. It's great to hear they're still giving us the special price.

RE Bennett vs. TrimMaster...I don't have any personal experience with the Bennetts, but TyBoo swore by them on his 22, as have others. Still...from a visual inspection, I could see no quality difference. I'm not sure what Bennett is using these days, but they used to have rocker switches or a joystick control - I liked the "ball tip" rocker controls on the TrimMaster better. TrimMaster used to have the edge on the plumbing side, as Bennett had exposed hydraulic lines on the back. Now, they both use pistons with an internal hydrualic line that feeds through the hull behind the mount - a much cleaner and presumably trouble-free design.

The only real design difference I can see is the turned edge on the M120's. I'm not convinced this gives any real functional advantage over the flat TrimMaster tabs on the CD22, but who knows...

Given that the best online price I've seen for M120's is about $400 (West Marine sells them for $500), at $300 delivered, I think the TrimMaster is the best deal out there right now.

Mighty Bite

City/Region: Fairbanks, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Mighty Bite
Photos: Mighty Bite
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to ditto DaNags comments on the trim tabs. I was very happy with the TrimMaster tabs on 2nd Byte and the toggle controls were very convenient and easy to use. I don't know if there is an advantage to the turndown on the Bennetts but that factor seem a little moot to me.
Suffice to say that the 9" X 12" TrimMasters were plenty of tab for the 22CD. The C-Dory special price that they are still available at is very attractive.

As to the Lenco tabs. The 9x12's listed dimension is very misleading. The fact that the 9" dimension at the hinge tapers to 7" at the rear of the tab reduces their effectiveness considerably. Compared to the TrimMasters as an example, the Lenco's are not nearly as effective.

If it was not for my deeply ingrained avoidance of drilling holes, or patching same, I would have replaced the Lenco tabs. Having said that, I have an idea to modify my existing Lenco tabs and bring their performance level up to snuff. Upon finishing the mod I'll post pictures and results.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: