View previous topic :: View next topic  
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: PLB Battery Replacement Reply with quote

The battery on my McMurdo Fastfind PLB has reached the 5 year expiration. It appears a replacement battery runs between $115 from Amazon to $168 from Defender. Has anyone replaced the battery themselves?

I also see that a new Fast Find 220 PLB with flotation pouch and 6 yr. battery life can be had from Amazon for $222 with free shipping. Any thoughts on other PLB's on the market that are similar size, weight, price and capability?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ACR PLB have reached the 5 year "life"--still test well. I got one of the Fast finds for $200 on sale. I keep the 2 5 year old ACR as back ups. I see ACR;s for about $235 currently--so the price for a new is not much more than the battery replacement,.

I have not tried replacing, and will when mine are at the 10 year theoretical lmit, or tests poorly.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
kennharriet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I'm thinking Bob. I'll keep the older one as long as the battery still tests good as a backup, but purchase a new one as the primary. Thanks for the input. ken
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Testing an EPIRB/PLB/ELT .... Reply with quote

Now you have my curiosity 'up.

I know FAA used to have FAR's for testing ELT's (don't you just love these acronym's?). As I recall an ELT was only supposed to be "tested" on the hour or w/in :05 after the hour, and for not more than three cycles.

Do other electronic beacons have similar testing restrictions?

Another question: To what extent has technology overtaken the need for rescue locator beacon's? We now have SPOT, In Reach, and iPhone's with "find me" App's that work surprisingly well. If these devices are not inherently waterproof, they can be waterproofed in one of those spiffy cases. ...so again, I wonder - to what extent is a SAR-type beacon really necessary now days?

I used to have a full size EPIRB on Naknek, but when it was time to replace the battery I found the battery alone was going to be $300+factory (only) installation. I decided to explore other solutions - and bought my first SPOT.
At the time my concern was not really the "falling overboard" scenario, it was a first-mate-who-was-not-a-boater needing to summon help when the captain (me) was laying there with a MI or something. My situation has changed. I now have a fully qualified co-captain who know's the way home. Smile

Best,
C&M

BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one last year and when the battery needs replacement, it will be a dilemma to replace the battery or purchase a new unit. If happens today, I would replace battery but a having a second one would be good idea. If five years I can see the technology in place in handheld VHF radios, life jackets etc and new companies like Garmin entering the market. If the price point was $100 then the market would explode

I just tested mine and it's working fine.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the ResqLink+ PLB. There are two test modes. One sends a test message to the satellites. The second test actually receives from the GPS satellites (GPS self test).

The manual says you can perform the first self test 60 times over the life of the battery. The GPS test can be performed 12 times over the life of the battery and then it is disabled. They don't want you to deplete the battery by always testing the unit.

It does say that the tests should be done in the 1st 5 minutes of the hour.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a nice, timely thread. At the SBS I had some time to talk with reps from both ACR and McMurdo extensively. The main topic was the possible (probable) advent of a device that does the PLB function and also has an AIS transmitter that puts out a specially tagged AIS signal that comes across the AIS receivers with a special mark indicating an emergency ( like MOB).

Currently there are both devices on the market, an according to the reps, there may be something in the works to combine them, but neither would say anything for sure or "officially".

Something I did learn is that some of the plb's float, some don't. For use on the water, that might be good to keep in mind.

As to the battery life, and testing, this checks the device and in some cases the GPS function without actuating a response. Their response when asked about battery replacement was that though the battery life is set at 5 years, they may be functional longer than that, but can't be relied on past that time, ("officially".)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting thread. Apparently a number of C-Brats have bought satellite beacons (PLB, EPIRB) to assure their safety. That's well and good. But then comes the next step; the battery life has expired. and it's still in use because we still want to be safe.

I maintain one can't have it both ways. I used an EPIRB for blue water crossing and tested it as recommended. That test is internal to the device and doesn't go through the satellites and to the rescue team. It's not like calling on the VHF and having the Coast Guard telling you not to use Ch 16. The latter is end-to-end, the internal test is not. When the 5 years is up, or whatever the battery life is, the best bet you have for saving your life is to replace the battery. I agree, it isn't cheap. But otherwise, don't depend on it. And I was happy to pay the money for a new battery, because we were still sailing.

The EPIRB went with the sailboat. And I didn't get another because we only do coastal and inland boating. Just my opinion, I think they are good devices. I'm betting we never need one activated.

But if you have one, take care of it. Accept the fact the batteries are expensive to replace and that's because the mfg has to guarantee they work. Remember, when it's used it's an emergency. Your life is in danger and what is your life worth? Or get rid of it so you don't have some sense of security.

Boris
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the ACR devices, you can subscribe to a service they provide which emails you a message when you test your EPIRB or PLB so that you can verify that it is actually working.

They also say that if you are rescued after using one of their devices, they will give you a knew one if you send the old one in to them.
kennharriet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey,
As I understand it, a 406 MHz PLB, EPIRB or ELT are all COSPAS-SARSAT based systems registered through NOAA. When a distress signal is sent it goes to a professional government rescue coordination center resulting in the appropriate rescue resources being launched in short timeframes. Every other system is something less than that. It seems the other devices with their other capabilities are good tools, but the notification system might be less professional and reliable. When I worked for Office of Aircraft Services in AK, I visited with the PJ group at Kulis AFB and the USCG Rescue folks at Air Station Kodiak. They all carried PLB's. ken

From the NOAA site:
Search and Rescue Satellite Aided Tracking
Around the world...around the clock...NOAA proudly stands watch. As an integral part of worldwide search and rescue, NOAA operates the Search And Rescue Satellite Aided Tracking (SARSAT) System to detect and locate mariners, aviators, and recreational enthusiasts in distress almost anywhere in the world at anytime and in almost any condition.

The SARSAT system uses NOAA satellites in low-earth and geostationary orbits to detect and locate aviators, mariners, and land-based users in distress. The satellites relay distress signals from emergency beacons to a network of ground stations and ultimately to the U.S. Mission Control Center (USMCC) in Suitland, Maryland. The USMCC processes the distress signal and alerts the appropriate search and rescue authorities to who is in distress and, more importantly, where they are located. Truly, SARSAT takes the "search" out of search and rescue!

NOAA-SARSAT is a part of the international Cospas-Sarsat Program to which 41 nations and two independent SAR organizations belong to. To find out more about SARSAT please feel free to explore our website. We hope you enjoy your visit!

SARSAT - A Lifeline To Survival!
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been documented failures of both Spot and InReach systems tofail to reach proper agencies, with loss of life. I would not depend on them for this. Again, your choice. The spot is great for tracking--maybe not as good as the DeLorme for messaging.

The PLB works just like the 406 EPIRB. Difference is potentially shorter battery transmit life. (24 hours PLLB vs 48 Hours for EPRIB). Most EPRIB float, many self deploy, and most have the antenna pointed in appropraite position.

Even the floating PLB often require the instrument to be held in a position where the antenna isi pointing skyward.

The rated shelf life on most PLB is 5 years (there are a couple slightly longer) The real life battery life is closer to 10 years. But, we choose to have a in service unit as our primary.

The PLB is registered to a person--thus useful when hiking, skiing, kayaking etc--even driving the RV in remote areas. The EPIRB is registered to a specific vessel. Thus is a bit more limited.

The big feature of the PLB is it can be easily worn on your person--in the dinghy, ashore etc.

You may have a qualified captain, when that heart attack occurs, but is she capable of giving CPR, defibrillating and also driving the boat back to safety at a speed that will save your neck? Unlikely.

There are cases of PLB being used in inland waters which many of us use, for medical emergencies--not just boats lost at sea. I sure hope that I will never have to use my PLB--or the water proof hand held radio (now with DSC)---but it migh save my or my wife's life. A couple of hundred bucks, is a tank of fuel--give or take...

There may not be current avaialable AIS /EPRIB system, but I am sure there are several in the works, and shoud be available shortly.

There are a number of MOB AIS systems, so you can spend an extra $200 and get one of thoes Harvey, if that is a goal you have. These are small and woud fit will with the Smart Find (one is made by McMurdo.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased an ACR ResQLink+ PLB. The beacon can perform 2 tests to ensure it is working properly. The first is a basic self test which tests the beacons Data Integrity and Memory; 406 MHz Synthesizer; RF Power/Battery; GPS header and sends a satellite burst. The second test is a GPS Self Test that actually turns the GPS Receiver on, downloads your position and then transmits this data in the Self Test satellite burst.
An optional testing services are available for a fee when you subscribe to 406Link at www.406Link.com (from the manual)

406Link works by sending a specially encoded test signal 22,000 miles up to the Cospas-Sarsat satellites. Once the satellites receive the signal, it is then picked up by our ground stations in North America. Within seconds, our patented software processes your self-test data and a confirmation message is then sent to you and/or your contacts by email and/or SMS text message.

When performing a GPS self test (for Plus subscriptions only), your GPS coordinates are then plotted on a map and 406Link includes a link in your email and/or SMS text message clearly showing your location to within 110 yards (100 m) (from 406Link web site) There are 2 plans, one at 39.95 and the other at 59.95 per year

PLB are very affordable and adds an another level of safety
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: PLB VS VHF Reply with quote

All excellent points. I learn so much here.
Our current boating style would get us most likely rescued fastest via VHF distress call. The Std Horizon 871hx waterproof floating 6w VHF with GPS is now $134 since a replacement just came out. I bought one for the ACR ditch bag and one as the new helm portable (nice to have GPS on a portable if the main GPS ant fails or the SHTF). I'm usually an ICOM guy for VHF portables but that's a steal.
We also have a ACR GPS/EPIRB in the ACR ditch bag/USCG signal requirements. IBoat.com had the best battery/seal/testing replacement deal a few years ago at $200. ACR requires a factory approved, very involved procedures regimen, and I like that. but you can get a new one for $389 next week. ACR has a fantastic marketing genius policy that if you ever activate your ACR in a real emergency, when you get rescued they replace it with a new one free. And (cheery thought) if you DON'T get rescued, your heirs can send it in for a battery replacement and use it themselves.
I have nothing against the PLB's and might get one (or 2) during the Boat Show sales. I've just come around to to the view that in our (not your) typical coastal cruising where other boaters are under 3-10 miles away and likely on default VHF 16, a good floating waterproof 6w portable with built in GPS in reach may be better than a PLB. Heck, our boating is often trying to ESCAPE the crowds of boaters.
Neither are any help to an unconscious crewmember, so wear your automatic inflatable when outside the cabin to keep your sorry head out of the water.
And don't mind me, to insert here both religion and politics, I think twins are often better than a big single (religion), and as long as we can buy good wine legally we can't risk weed as a Federal employee (Eileen) or contractor (me) so we don't need to know which is better (politics).

Grab your HX871 here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036EW94C/ref=pe_385040_128020140_TE_3p_dp_1

Cheers!
John

thataway

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I advocate both a fixed and hand held vHF, don't assume that because you are near other boats, or shore that anyone will come to your rescue.

An example was when we were cruising up the coast of BC a mayday was relayed by a lighthouse keeper. We respoinded. The boat was about 4 hours away at our 7 knots top cruising speed. Along the way, we passed a number of recreational and fishing boats--even some within eyesight of the boat in distress, who had not responded--and obviously did not have radios turned on when we tried to communicate with them. We got the family into an Indian villiage by about 9PM where they were able to get food, shelter and warmth for their 4 small children. (They did bring a VHF radio--and fortuanetly a light house keeper had heard the distress call--they didn't bring the "kicker auxillary".) It could have ended up badly. I don't know of the boats nearer just didn't care, or if they didn't have functioning radios.

Don't forget that there are many places in the US where there is no cell phone or usual type of radio reception. The PLB is available to be used at any place. For example at Lake Powell, there are many areas where one might not get any help in an emergency. This was brought home by a visitor to our "camp" by a man who had a heart attack a year before, and was saved by other boaters--especially a physician on a house boat. We have heard many conversations where the SAR or medical transport unit was relaying on various relays to communice with a boat who had an emergency there. Powell is well populated in comparison to many areas in the US.
'o cino

City/Region: Aviano
State or Province: Other
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick comment before ditching out to train in the wonderful snow here that's falling like tortilla chips!
PLBs don't save lives themselves. What they are exceptional at is taking the "Search" out of SAR. Some providers models have multiple hand-offs, which is a weakness pointed out, and well documented...the attorneys will make sure these points are remedied.
PLBs are Not Fool Proof and Environment Determinant, in that, I prefer manual activation everything to be certain my equipment does what I want it to do, and overhead cover in the form of cliffsides (Powell/Mead) or liquid water in the air interferes/obstructs.
FWIW, It's cheap insurance when amortized over 5 years for a fresh battery... how much was spent on your house bank, or the new LEDs?
Shout out 210th, YEAH!

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion..."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: