Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leon

City/Region: Terrace
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea Nile
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Boathook harpoon gaff combination Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I might find something like this?
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could fabricate any of the two on an aluminum alloy pole yourself by buying the end fittings and mounting them, but all three???

OTOH, two of those fittings, the harpoon and gaff, would be very dangerous to have on the back end of a pole being used for something else!

I, for one, wouldn't want to be behind someone who using a pole for something else with a gaff or harpoon on the end near me.

Maybe the pole types available come with one end fitting only for a good reason?

Next project: Multi-purpose pole with boat hook, gaff, harpoon, .410 shotgun (for Halibut), clam gun, and walking stick.

Will make you invulnerable to muggers. No concealed carry permit required!!! Laughing

YMMV!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Shurhold pole, which I have Gaff and boathook attachments for. It would be easy to take one of the blank extenders and add a harpboon to it.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Shurhold pole, which I have Gaff and boathook attachments for. It would be easy to take one of the blank extenders and add a harpboon to it.
'o cino

City/Region: Aviano
State or Province: Other
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe: "Next project: Multi-purpose pole with boat hook, gaff, harpoon, .410 shotgun (for Halibut), clam gun, and walking stick.

Will make you invulnerable to muggers. No concealed carry permit required!!! Laughing "

If it comes with a gimbaled cup holder and wi-fi, it could revolutionize shore hikes. Wink

We always have spearguns onboard, but never considered using them as boathooks or for shooting a dockline. I have surface shot a fish before to make landing it easier with a slip-tip.

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion..."
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Boathook harpoon gaff combination Reply with quote

Clam gun? I have been going about clamming in all the wrong ways. Very Happy
D.D.

Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Boathook harpoon gaff combination Reply with quote

Will-C wrote:
Clam gun? I have been going about clamming in all the wrong ways. Very Happy
D.D.

Dave-

IIRC, in the PNW, they have a long blade, hollow tube with a handle for digging clams like the geoduck ("gooey-duck") clams with long necks that lie deep in the sand and mud. The clam gun looks a lot like a post hole digger, really.

I've always thought the "geoduck" name was a crazy monicker, and calling a tubular clam extractor a "gun" was something to be done at a criminal trial of some sorts by the prosecution. Hyperbole at work, again!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
Will-C

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Boathook harpoon gaff combination Reply with quote

Thanks Joe. You learn something new everyday. I thought maybe the west coast clams are so fast you had to shoot them to take em down. Embarassed
D.D.
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave-

Funny!

If we can get a total of 6 different tips for the pole, we can make it into a revolver model, with a rotating multiple end piece/magazine.

A true "six-shooter" for marine use.

Will probably require a license to own and use, and especially to carry concealed.

Unless it's totally outlawed, then only the bad guys will have them.

And even if they remain legal, a shortened / sawed off one will make you into a felon.

Deja' Vu! Tux

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
Will-C

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Boathook harpoon gaff combination Reply with quote

I'm thinking for some, maybe a roach clip and combination blunt, charcoal grill lighter. How about a solar panel and some jumper cables while you working on the prototype. Maybe a telescope for celestial navigation. Might as well make two and slap them on holders on your trailer for boat guides. Now that's is for the boater who has everything. Maybe the clam gun with ultra sonic capabilities that would bring the clams up to the top for you. I think we might be on to something here.
D.D.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you are making that clam gun. think about making it laser guided, might be cleaner and faster Shocked

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen them used for razor clams. Still looks like hard work in the PNW "sand".
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clam guns on Clatsop beaches work well, perhaps because our sand is coarse and not sticky or muddy, as shown in the photo. Ocean Shores, Long Beach Peninsula, same kind of sand as ours.
Leon

City/Region: Terrace
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Sea Nile
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I sort of got lucky, I found online a combination boat hook, gaff, and scrub brush which I ordered they are interchangeable, and screw in. I will see if I can find someone to make a harpoon shaft for it. I don't like the idea of having a gun on board to dispatch a halibut, too many things can go wrong, and there are horror stories out of alaska of people shooting the halibut on the floor of their boat...... halibut loose in a boat is very dangerous. I harpoon the halibut, after it has settled, I throw a rope around it's tail feed it through the gils then pull it tight till the halibut is in a U shape and tie it......it then can be pulled into the boat. I have also caught smaller halibut where I have removed the head and innards........thrown them overboard and put the halibut into my cooler to watcch it bang around.........wondering where I would shoot it.......the body or the parts that were slowly sinking to the bottom of the ocean.
NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also have the Shurhold boathook/gaff/brush. Very useful.

FWIW, we've caught lots of sizable halibut, up to 120lb (bigger than 100 lb we almost always let go) without a harpoon or gun, just a wireman's gaff (big shark hook with a poly line tied to it and an eye spliced into the other end) and a leaded fish bonker to subdue them.

We bring them up to the side of the boat, cleat off and then slip the wireman's gaff into their lower jaw, and lean over and hang on for a while, as they thrash themselves until they're a bit tired out. Then I whack the top of their head with the bonker, anywhere from a few times to a dozen or two, and all is well. I bring them into the boat and cut the gills to bleed them out. Not sure what the best way to bleed them would be in a C-Dory - our boat has a draining cockpit deck and a washdown hose. Can't recall how we handled that on our CD22.

Especially if they're big, I do the gill cutting quickly and carefully, wary that they do still flip around some in the cockpit before they're totally dead, but generally it's no big deal as long as dogs and small children aren't close.

In this picture I used the eye of the wireman's gaff line to grab the 120lb butt's tail so I could flip it around in the cockpit - they're slippery, and a big one's hard to re-position

Cindy Sea (CD 22 Cruiser, from 1991 to 1998)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: