The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Siriusxm weather radar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimicliff

City/Region: Mount Dora
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ocklawaha Queen
Photos: Ocklawaha Queen
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Siriusxm weather radar Reply with quote

Would like to know how Brats feel about the Sirius weather radar service. I have been using a weather radar application on my phone for a year and am very happy with it. I'm considering the Bahamas in a year or so and learned my phone ap wont work there and I wouldnt consider this trip without a great system. Last summer I did an 800 mile trip and the radar made all the difference in staying out of trouble. Thanks, Cliff
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked up sirusxm marine packages. It cost (per month) $55 for offshore, $30 for coastal and $13 for inland, plus fees and taxes. I assume it cometh via a sirus receiver, which, if they sell an offshore package should be good for the Bahamas.

Since you receive it on your cell phone, I must have missed something. What service do you get?

Boris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bahamas are on the edge of the Sirius XM weather foodprint. You will probably get it on the crossing, and in the areas more central--as you go North, East and further South it will fade. I have gotten Sirius radio thruout most of the Caribbean--but it is better in the DR, and some areas than in the Bahamas.

The cost is considerable, and there are different programs. You also have to have the receiver a few hundred bucks. But if you want the music, the receiver will also get that, just has to go to the stereo.

On the other hand, I have tens of thousands of offshore miles with no weather radar, and much of that with no radar at all. Regualr radar is pretty good at spotting the cells when in low lying areas like the Bahamas. Lightening can be timed by flash or crackle on a pocket radio and the sound (1200 feet per second). You can get good forcasts via the Caribbean net, or the Waterway net on a good portable radtio which will receive SSB. If you are a ham it is even better--and you will have a ham radio.

Would I take a C Dory 16 to the Bahamas? No. For a number of reasons. The calmest time of the year is going to be in the early summer. and late spring, but there are still risks of early tropical storms, and hurricanes. The daily thunderstomrs are a little more developed then than earlier in the year--Norther's are bad news in crossing--and can be in the Bahamas themselves.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jimicliff

City/Region: Mount Dora
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ocklawaha Queen
Photos: Ocklawaha Queen
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob as always, Boris on my phone I use a program called "My Radar" I contacted the company and they told me the program doesnt cover the Bahamas. I am totally aware of Sirius radio, radio production was my career. I'm aware of all the price points and the gear I need to buy about $1600. Bob what I'm not sure about is the coverage, I think the $50 package would cover the entire Bahamas and thats what I'm courious about. I'm also up for debate on my small boat making the crossing. I totally understand the window for the crossing, I understand no north wind because of the Gulf Stream. I have a 50 honda with a 29gal tank this gives me 165 mile range. I am more afraid of nursing homes than death and danger at sea, I dont mean to sound like a dare devil I have always embraced calculated risk. With my current weather radar I have worked threw so much trouble that I have gained confidence with my range & speed. The crossing is 60 miles at Lake Worth. Thanks again everybody Cliff Note
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clff, just trying to pin down what you're using for weather, since it's a new one for me. I googled "MY Radar" and found "MyRadar Weather App". Is this the right app? If so I'll download it. It doesn't mention Sirus, so I assume the data is free.

It does say : MyRadar currently only shows weather in the United States, and only in the 48 contiguous states - not Alaska, Hawaii or Puerto Rico.

Please note that "radar" is radar spelled backwards.

Boris
williwaw

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Williwaw
Photos: Williwaw
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I am more afraid of nursing homes than death and danger at sea"

Amen brother.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff,

I too would be interested in your weather radar app specifics. I use a weather radar app for the PNW from Northwest Cable News app, but is is set for about 12 specific places and though it covers the PNW from Portland north, there are times I would like expanded or more detail coverage for my area.

Thanks,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the PNW cruisers, most of you are probably aware of this site already, but if not, it's great for the smartphone or tablet…and free.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/weather/radar.shtml
SGIDave

City/Region: St. George Island
Vessel Name: Seadation - SOLD 09/2013
Photos: SeaDation
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
Clff, just trying to pin down what you're using for weather, since it's a new one for me. I googled "MY Radar" and found "MyRadar Weather App". Is this the right app? If so I'll download it. It doesn't mention Sirus, so I assume the data is free.

It does say : MyRadar currently only shows weather in the United States, and only in the 48 contiguous states - not Alaska, Hawaii or Puerto Rico.

Please note that "radar" is radar spelled backwards.

Boris

Hello Boris,

I'll give a 2-thumbs up for MyRadar Weather app...you have found the correct app. It works well. The version you download is FREE. There are some in-app purchase options possible. For example, you can get hurricane tracking, NWS warnings, and "remove ads from map." You can pick 'favorite' locations on the map, and if a "warning" comes up for that area, you can set it up to alert you (or NOT according to your preference).

Realize that if you are too 'zoomed in' on the map, you may not see any weather radar. There is an in-app tutorial to get you started.

I have no material interest in the app...just a satisfied user.

/david
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weather radar is dependant on various tracking stations. There are several apps which will show the actual tracking. You have to check to see if Nassau how far out Nassau Radar tracks, as well as the satellite foot print. So both are important. On edit, KMAX out of Miami only reaches the nearest part of the Bahamas--so one would have ask Sirius what station they use in the Bahamas, if any.

The smallest boat I have made that corssing in was 26 feet, but it was a sailboat. Certainly C Dory 22's make the crossing. The issue certainly is helped by weather radar, which should help to pick up cells, where there is going to be singinficant winds. The problem of course is that you cannot out run weather. Once in weaher, you have to slow down very significantly.

This is not being critical, but one has to consider not only their lives, but if you might put other's lives in danger looking for you, if there were an incident.
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weather radar is dependant on various tracking stations. There are several apps which will show the actual tracking. You have to check to see if Nassau how far out Nassau Radar tracks, as well as the satellite foot print. So both are important.

The smallest boat I have made that corssing in was 26 feet, but it was a sailboat. Certainly C Dory 22's make the crossing. The issue certainly is helped by weather radar, which should help to pick up cells, where there is going to be singinficant winds. The problem of course is that you cannot out run weather. Once in weaher, you have to slow down very significantly.

This is not being critical, but one has to consider not only their lives, but if you might put other's lives in danger looking for you, if there were an incident.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: