starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ira, that is the only fish box I have seen in a 25 and I like it as lot. Not in the new boats.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent some time on the CD25 and it is a pretty nice boat. The drawers under the helm seat are NICE. My 22 had them when I got it. they were custom mode by the PO. I like the wood touches in the interior, like the LED lights, and all the room. Like the position (starboard cabin aft), of the head/shower, (which was there all the time, but not all of the marketing crew were aware of that, or where it was, early on.) IF I was in the market, (and between the CW and the CD) it would be the CD, and It would not have a traditional head, macerator and holding tank. IT WOULD be an "Airhead" with the holding tank converted to storage or fresh water tank. That should be the factory default, in my opinion. There are really no negatives to the Airhead system.

While there, I had a chance to visit with two couples, both who had looked at aluminum and at some other glass boats, Cut Water included. Both were positively impressed, although the fish box did come up with one set. It did not sound like it would be a deal breaker and they were told it could be added in as an option.

I also liked the step height from cockpit sole to gunnel, the step is almost half of the distance. There are inspection ports all over. The self bailing cockpit, is a good step up from the cabin sole.

The new "pleather" seating covers looks really nice and feels good. Might be a consideration for an upgrade for me, for the seats anyway. Would have to think some about changing the vee birth pads to that.

Sorry, I missed a pix of the new stripe. It does seem "bolder" at least. The trim tabs installed were a new (to me) kind, not the Bennett or Lenco.

Should I win the lottery (yes I should) a new 25CD would be on my list for sure, because i could afford that and a new truck to pull it with. If I win the lottery, (not likely), it would still be on my list. It is a nicely finished, efficient and sturdy boat.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

tcr_pnw

City/Region: Puget Sound
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Photos: Sea Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya'll just need one of these!

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, Jeff Messmer is a great person with whom to do business and I assume whatever success the company has is in large part due to his abilities. Say hello from me.

Boris
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things I forgot to mention was that it looked like the Splash well forward wall seemed lower than what I remembered from seeing other 25's. Not sure, and forgot to ask at the SBS. Anyone know on that.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

My IRA

City/Region: Springfield
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Aidiam
Photos: My IRA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

Our 25 was the older style deck so we ordered it with this in floor fish box (I designed it and Les made sure it was done right) with macerator which replaced the under deck holding tank for the head. We went with the Sealand traveler head (9gal. self contained holding tank). I think that anyone could order a like unit built in on a new 25. The raised deck allowed for about 12" in depth which was adequate for our needs (could hold 6+ tuna with no problems).

Jerry

1992 C-Dory 22 Cruiser sold 8/96
1992 OLympic 26XLF Sold 10/2000
1989 Arima 19 SR sold 2003
2004 C-Dory 25 sold 10/05
1992 Bounty 25 Offshore Pilot sold 6/2010
2006 Arima 17 SC sold 9/2012
2013 C-Dory 23 Venture
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
IF I was in the market, (and between the CW and the CD) it would be the CD, and It would not have a traditional head, macerator and holding tank. IT WOULD be an "Airhead" with the holding tank converted to storage or fresh water tank. That should be the factory default, in my opinion. There are really no negatives to the Airhead system.

I realize this is a tangent, but...I have to politely disagree here. I'd say that all waste holding/disposal systems have negatives. And that makes sense, I mean after all, you are dealing with human waste one way or another and it doesn't just go away magically no matter how you are doing it. The key for me is that all systems have their plusses and minuses, and so it's a matter of deciding which ones fit your scenario, uses, and preferences (and maybe local laws).

For example, as far as I know, composting toilets have separate jugs for urine, and you need to dispose of it. That may mean dumping it over the side, which may or may not be legal in all areas, and/or carrying it to a bathroom or dumping place. In any case, it's a task. Some would consider it a negative vs. just letting it all go into the tank and pumping out from there (one step). There is also the height to consider. Again, maybe a negative, maybe not, but all systems have potential downsides is all.

I've lived for years with outhouses (in the country) and holding tanks/disposal on boats, so it's not that I am personally squeamish about it (or that I might not choose a composting toilet). I'm completely used to managing my own waste (just like managing your own water supply and power when you are off-grid). But I have yet to see any method that does not have some negative(s).

Would have been fun to poke around on the new 25 - I'd love to see some of the improvements!
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed (I guess) there are some negatives to the Airhead. They do have to be emptied too. The water bucket, about the size of a coffee can,, maybe once a week, the solid bucket about the size of a 2 gal buckets, about once a month or less for 2 people.

Currently there are 2 active threads about macerator issues, and anyone with a holding tank knows the dealings of that and pump failure/replacement etc. or leakage. Somehow the "Airhead"* , at least for me, has no negatives.

I was thinking I had heard there would be some C-Brat involvement in the C-Dory booth display. I really think there could/should be some emphasis on the community that is appealing to the C-Dory. This "family" is one of the greatest values that came with the boat, and for many, one of the more appreciated adjuncts. This is a factor that the sales staff there, at least in my opinion, do not get, and an area that was not at all presented in anyway at the booth. For folks that are just getting into boating, The price may put them off, but when they learn that there is a very active, "support group", readily accessible, and available get togethers, with answers to all their questions, interest nearly always increases. That is something for the sales team to capitalize on.

*Or there are other types of composting toilets, but Ah is a real jewel.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, The transom height is the same as the older boats, although there were owners to added plastic/glass sections to raise it up and keep more spray out.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ref. The composting head. We saw one instance at Lake Powell, where liquid was mixed with the fecal waste, and it was quite a mess to resolve.

If there was an instance of bowel disease where there was liquid stool, this could present quite a problem, and potential helth issue.

There is no "perfect" way of dealing with human waste. We have been thru the various ways in the past on this forum.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Agreed (I guess) there are some negatives to the Airhead. They do have to be emptied too. The water bucket, about the size of a coffee can,, maybe once a week, the solid bucket about the size of a 2 gal buckets, about once a month or less for 2 people.

Currently there are 2 active threads about macerator issues, and anyone with a holding tank knows the dealings of that and pump failure/replacement etc. or leakage. Somehow the "Airhead"* , at least for me, has no negatives.

I was thinking I had heard there would be some C-Brat involvement in the C-Dory booth display. I really think there could/should be some emphasis on the community that is appealing to the C-Dory. This "family" is one of the greatest values that came with the boat, and for many, one of the more appreciated adjuncts. This is a factor that the sales staff there, at least in my opinion, do not get, and an area that was not at all presented in anyway at the booth. For folks that are just getting into boating, The price may put them off, but when they learn that there is a very active, "support group", readily accessible, and available get togethers, with answers to all their questions, interest nearly always increases. That is something for the sales team to capitalize on.

*Or there are other types of composting toilets, but Ah is a real jewel.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

I know others here have used and like the Airhead type composting toilets. I am not a fan. A cruising couple I know had one on their sailboat - it was fine when they used the boat occasionally; when they moved aboard, they felt it did not keep up with their ... um... output (didn't compost completely or fast enough). I have been told there is no smell with these... not the case with my limited experience downwind of them.

Now, about the factory having some interaction with current boat owners and marketing... you mean like was done at the 2006 and 2007 Seattle Boat Shows? And then the factory distanced themselves from boat owners? Three different factory owners? You would think having owners around to answer questions and encourage participation would be beneficial to boat sales, huh? You would think the factory folks would be enthusiastic about having owners encouraging potential new buyers, huh? It certainly helped sell us in 2006.

Yep, you'd sure think that would be a good thing.

We are not privy to the factory's marketing intent, and based on experience, they seem to like it that way.
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

I guess I need to start paying attention to the Very Happy air around me Mr. Green
and to the trips they take up the dock Shocked or which dock they are going up.

How did we get "Airhead" out put and factory involvment in the same thread Embarassed

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Bob we have discussed all types of heads on the forum before. But then, look at the improvements realized in LED lighting over the past 4-5 years. Let's not give up hope on some new gee-wiz head improvements might burst onto the scene some day soon. Well...maybe burst was not the best choice of words.
There is hope...like at the new marina they have just built in Clarksville, TN. They actually put the shower house and bathrooms on dock level. Down by the boats!! That is right!!!
NO STEPS TO CLIMB!!! Idea

I have always wondered why the guys who just left the comfort of their homes...and it's bathrooms, can park on same level as the shower-house and bathrooms....and those of us who stayed at the marina over night, must walk up those terrible steep incline steps with frost on them doing that pinched cheek-penguin walk, hoping the code on the gate works the first time and the guy from the house does not plop down on the last available seat if you had been so fortunate to have a successful journey up the steep incline. Just a thought

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW...Just saw the new posting for the 2007 26' in Texas for $65. That looks sweet if she is a clean one. Should not last long.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=22593&highlight=

Byrdman
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
With the 25 cdory going for 115 k and the 25 cut water going for 99k its not a hard choice really. If I was in the new market I would not be getting the Cdory. And I really hate to say that. but lets compare

180 hp to 300 hp, no shower in the 25 at the show.( might not have been done yet ) hot shower and full head with sink. 100 gallonsCD ( ? ) 120 gallons CW
top speed 25 to 28 mph CD , 50 mph (claimed) CW
cruise speed 18 to 22 mph CD, 26 to 28 Cw ( claimed) MPG CD 1.8 to 2.2 ( different people tell me different things CW 3MPG ( claimed at 26 mph) Thats better then my boat.
One bunk and a table that folds down for one CD, two cabins ( one v-berth one under the table for two and the table folds down CW)

Then there is the finished look. Well Cutwater has that hands down. If you don't agree ask your wife. And the Cd still does not have a fish box. I was on the Cd for 20 mins and heard three people ask"wheres the fish box" and then get off the boat when told there was not one.

The cut water has a lot i dont need but for the same price as 25 cd i will take it. I can't afford either one but how the hell is CD going to compete with that?? When the ranger tugs and the other cut waters came out they were a lot more then the cd and out of our price ranges, but to get so much more for the same price??

Really like talking to the guys from Cd and Iam suppose to pitch a Idea to them about fish box add ones after the show, want to help them pick up sales they are missing.

Kinda commenting late but I finally went to the boat show last Saturday and have to admit, after seeing the Cutwater 24 first, seeing the C-Dory 25 was a bit of a letdown IMHO. I'm sure it was nicely built but it seemed so Spartan with no flash whatsoever. I know that's what many people like about the C-Dory line but both Caryn and I are finding that fit and finish goes a long way in our opinion. The only thing I didn't like about the Cutwater was the slant of the front window, the lines don't appeal to me nearly as much as the CD-22, I'm not nearly as fond of the lines of the CD-25. I actually think a better comparison to the Cutwater 24 would be the Venture 26, which I like a lot better than the CD-25. I wonder why more people aren't buying that model? Maybe the price?

As for the price of the CD-25 vs the CW-24, I agree with Tom, you're sure getting a lot more boat with the CW-24 at $10k less. At the end of the day, it really has no bearing on us since we're not in the market to buy. But if we were......

Once again, YMMV.

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: