The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Trailer guide-on set-up?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Trailer guide-on set-up? Reply with quote

Hi Brats!

I have a quick trailer question. I'm planning on launching Valkyrie from the trailer this week (for the first time) and just measured the distance between the PVC-covered guide-ons and discovered it's only 7'3". The dealer put the boat on the trailer with a hoist after sea trials, so it obviously wasn't a problem then. I'm just glad that I spotted it before I hit the ramp.

Question: how far apart should the guide-ons be? I know the beam is 7'6" on a 22, but how much extra room should I allow, if any?

As always, any suggestions are welcome.

Nick
"Valkyrie"
Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring some tools so you can adjust it at the ramp if needed. Is there room to extend or slide them out 1'' to 1 1/2'' each side?? If not remove them. I have found no advantage launching boats with guide ons. Bringing them back in thats an other story.
Just an Idea.

Chris
sailor-d

State or Province: Other
Photos: Sailor-D
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Cargo Guides Reply with quote

Hi Nick
I have just re-trailered, rollers to an EZloader bunk style. I took the cargo guides and brackets from the old trailer and installed on the new. It was a major struggle getting it right.
The mfg stated beam on a 22 is 7'9", I guess that is from the outside of the rub rails. Of course as you go lower on the strakes the hull is narrower.
I adjusted the guides with the boat on the trailer as parallel as humanly possible and ended up with about enough room (finger thickness) between the hull and the guides. My guide brackets are two feet high and the guides 8 ft long. The guide ends up about halfway up the first strake from the bottom of the boat. I tightened the guides angled slightly out to stop the strake hanging up when floating the boat back on - it worked in a windy recovery on Saturday.
Of course all boats sit at different heights on their trailers. Trial and error and fiddling with tools at the launch ramp seems to be the way of it.

Cheers - Dave (Sailor-D)
DodgeRam

City/Region: Vancouver Isl. CANADA
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaRam
Photos: SeaRam
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi C-Brats, when I bought my boat I purchased 102'' wide new 2005 tamdem EZloader bunk trailer. with new oil bath hubs, LED lights, new style wheels with plastic fenders, 8 foot guides and wash down hubs ect... Sounds nice, wrong? It had to be the worst boat trailer I ever owned. Here it goes, the second trip to the boat lauch the left hand (port side) light took water than died , then the light bar between the left and right lights died also.The rear axle was bent and it took forever to get a replacement one. A oil bath hub leaked on one wheel. "EZloader" was speled wrong on 2 fenders. I could not unpin the trailer from my truck hitch. It needed two people to remove the trailer from the truck; one behind the wheel to rock the truck back and forth, the other to try to open the gate. The side lever you were suppose to pull down before backing up did not work. All the joints and U bolts made that trailer squeel like a pig. Not bad for a trailer that sells close 4100+ 14% tax. But thanks to by dealer in Port Alberni, at the Boat House, he order me a new custom built trailer that is all welded,with all the bells and whistles plus....5 years warranty on rust, transferrable to next owner. SEA RAM Gary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: