The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Towing routes and road suggestions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Towing routes and road suggestions Reply with quote

Can we get a collection of suggested routes all in one place. I have seen suggestions for towing from California to the San Juans but have to try to find them when I get ready to go.

There was a suggested route to go through Klamath Falls instead of I5. Then there was a suggestion to bypass some bad I5 road in Seattle. Are there any suggestions for Portland?

It would also be nice if locals in different areas could post current info and road changes when other brats may be coming to a gathering. Nothing beats local knowledge.

Just a suggestion,
Steve
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Wilbur
Photos: Da Boats
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Towing routes and road suggestions Reply with quote

seabran wrote:
There was a suggested route to go through Klamath Falls instead of I5.

I took this route once last year after reading about it here. It is less twisty and the grades are not as severe, but that's offset by it being a two-lane road most of the way, along with a 55 MPH speed limit. Invariably, you get stuck behind some slug.

My take - assuming good weather and an able tow vehicle, I'd stick to I-5.

seabran wrote:
Are there any suggestions for Portland?

I'm curious about this as well, somebody local must know the real scoop. The bypass seems like it would handle traffic better than I-5, but the GPS says it's a longer route.

Now...knowing the best route might save a few miles/minutes, but I pay more attention to timing. Here's my Bay Area to WA routine:

- Eat an early lunch, and leave the Bay Area around noon. This gets you over the bridges and through the high traffic areas off-peak. Once you're off of 80 on 505, you're home free for the day.

- If you take a quick dinner stop, you can hit Roseberg by 8:00PM. This is a little more than half way. I'm a cheap SOB, I stay in the Motel 6...

- Get up early, and get on the road by 6:30. I stop for breakfast around 8:00AM, which gets you back on the road and through Salem/Portland after the morning rush, and into Seattle before the afternoon rush.

B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to live in Klamath Falls, like Bill said, stay on I5. 395 is used by many truckers as there aren't the grades like on I5 but I'd avoid it unless you're looking for a scenic alternative. It seemed like every other week somebody was getting killed on that road.
Portland- stick on I5 it's much shorter, unless you hit town during rush hour, then I205 may be a bit better. If you take the 205 route, as you get near the salmon creek exit north of Vancouver, make your way over to the fast lane and camp out, in another mile or so the freeways merge plus they throw in a on ramp and you can just stay put and end up in the slow lane on I5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: