View previous topic :: View next topic  
RicksAmigo1

City/Region: Southern Idaho
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Amigo II
Photos: Amigo
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:12 pm    Post subject: Cabin Privacy Curtains Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, Wish we had a marine store near here, but we're in the middle of nowhere, Pop. 1000. Appreciate everyone's help. Actually I'm posting these messages and trying to sew some curtains for the CD. (Don't want you to think Rick is so ignorant about the hardware, etc. Laughing )
Everyone's been so helpful. Thanks again.
Pat

RicksAmigo1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Cabin Privacy Curtains Reply with quote

Ken and Mike,
Thanks for your suggestions. After many miles of driving and searching thru various hardware stores, I found some male snaps with the screw. One store had exactly 11 at 56 cents each and Home
Depot's had packages of 4 for about $3 a package. Figuring I'd need quite a few, I gave up that idea, at least temporarily. Meantime, I purchased 4 yds. of "duck" cloth and 4 tension curtain rods. In a little over an hour I hemmed the cloth and we now have "instant" privacy curtains that we can roll up and throw into a tube made of PVC when not in use. They aren't very stylish, but they work for now. The nice part is, no screws, glue or anything like that to mess up the inside walls of the boat.
Pat Razz
Rock-C

City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat & Rick
Could you post some photos of how the curtins turned out. I'm looking to do the same.
Thanks
Terry

Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of curtains...been giving this some thought, and have an idea.

I've seen a number of curtain installs, and have come to the conclusion there are two things I want on mine - inside attachments, and separate curtains for every window (instead of one long one for the side windows.) I don't like the thought of going outside to put up curtains, and I'd like the flexibility to keep some open, and some closed.

The problem with inside, separate curtains - you need a place to stow them, and with 10 curtains, I'd get them mixed up all the time - I'm not that organized.

My thought - have them made oversized in height by about 2-3 inches, and attach them above the windows, not on the frame. They could then be rolled up completely out of the way above the window frame, using snaps or velcro to hold them up. This would take care of the stowage problem, make them quick to deploy, and they could still be completely removed if necessary.

Any reason the above wouldn't work?

Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, Let me share my solution. I wanted seperate coverings for each window that would block ALL light and be removable/stowable. I purchased some dark blue vinyl and bulk velcro @ the fabric store. The vinyl was cut to exactly match each window. I cut the velcro into small pieces. I stapled the fuzzy sides to the vinyl and 5200'd the pokey side to the window frames. Each shroud was numbered(1-10) for easy I.D.. Virtually NO light gets through in the day. At night from outside, none of the interior light escapes. Anyone peering into the windows sees only blackness. The vinyl also has an insulating effect. They go up and down in less than a minute. The only downside is the very occasional loosening of the "glued" pokey pieces. Simply re-adhere. When storing, I stack them 10,9,8... one on the other then roll them all up and into the v-berth. I also cut one for the hatch with a hole for my solar vent. Pete [/b]
WadeV

City/Region: Southern Pines
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Why Knot
Photos: Why Knot
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, we got some scrap --large pieces--sunbrella to match the color of our cushions. We cut to fit each window & sewed--Lois did the sewing, might want to talk to her about that--I removed the corner screws from each window & replaced them with screw in snaps--male end-- got the snaps when we bought the scraps. Had the canvas shop where we got the sunbrella to fasten the female part of the snap to the curtains in the appropriatte places. They work great--give us the privacy we want & store very easily under the table. After using them a couple of times we figured out that numbering them would help the installing process. We got this idea from a CD22 that Les was outfitting that I believe ended in New Jersey. Very Happy
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, I think the "ultimate" solution to this could turn into a full-time business!!!

Here are the problems as I've seen them...

1) The most convenient way of putting up the window covers is with snaps but there's no great way to use them on the forward half of the side windows since they slide.

2) Velcro drives me nuts! The darn stuff seems to have a mind of its own and clings together when it feels like it but never where I want it. And I've never found any that really, truly sticks to the surface to which it is affixed.

3) The sidewalls of the cabin are too thin to accept fasteners without through-bolting or riveting.

I like the roll-up shade type system Mike and Kay used on Tyboo 22 and with some refinement I think it has good possibilites. Without some help they probably won't seal out all the light if that's important.

I've been pretty happy with the individual covers for the inside of the rear and front windows. The center opening front window poses some interesting challenges.

I don't care for the long single piece covers on the side windows; it's a little awkward to handle but mostly it doesn't give one much versatility.

If I have a brainstorm you'll be the first to know Bill Laughing

www.marinautboats.com
RicksAmigo1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:06 pm    Post subject: Cabin Privacy Curtains Reply with quote

Hi Terry,
You can view our temporary "quick fix" curtains on the photo album page under "Amigo". They certainly won't make "Boat Beautiful" magazine, but they go up and come down instantly and can be pinned open with plastic clothes pins to let in air or light if necessary. They were cheap and work for us until we can justify spending money on the custom ones.
Pat
stevej

City/Region: Gaston
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Photos: Shearwater
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess Shearwater came with a unique solution called curtins and curtin rods. Actually very simple but no idea where they came from. Uses a stout flat curtin rod that is spring loaded (very very strong spring) and a L-bracket thing at each end of the side windows. It has never fallen down the three piece curtins are ready made from sears. I use little binder clips to close the small gaps between curtins and to clip along the angle at the frot of the window if I want a peek proof cover. Pull them to the back of the windows and bunch with a shoe string when under way. No fuss, no storing, easy to deploy and easy to get out of the way. Door uses a removable rod and the same style curtin I just take it down when I don't want it. Front still uses the snap cover.

I know there is a manufacture sticker on the rods if anyone is interested I can pull one down a get the info or post pictures.

stevej

1995 25' Cruise Ship #3
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As noted in my pictures, I had two sets made. One set of screen cover and one set of privacy cover. The privacy covers are made to fit over the screens or on the windows by themselves. Each set has it's own bag made from the same material, I just roll them up and in the bag they go. The bags do not take up much room at all in the v-berth, against the electronics cover. I numbered each piece top center, facing out with a sharpie. #1 window is the small window, rear, port side with #10 being the back window, port side. The numbers are hidden from view while in place.
KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
c-scape

City/Region: Marina Del Rey
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Scape
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevej,

I'm interested in knowing the manufacture of the curtain rods as well as seeing some pictures.

Christine
C·Scape
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: