View previous topic :: View next topic  
williwaw

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Williwaw
Photos: Williwaw
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Fuel filler back splash prevention? Reply with quote

I'd like to find a way to eliminate the fuel back splash that can occur when filling the tanks. It especially annoying when I have the camper back on as the fuel filler is inside the canvas so fumes tend to linger. I don't mind a burp out the vent as it's outside below the gunnel.

While looking around I noticed Perko has an inside-the-hose check valve for the filler hose that looks pretty easy to install. Info here.

Has anybody installed something like this?
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler back splash prevention? Reply with quote

williwaw wrote:
I'd like to find a way to eliminate the fuel back splash that can occur when filling the tanks. It especially annoying when I have the camper back on as the fuel filler is inside the canvas so fumes tend to linger. I don't mind a burp out the vent as it's outside below the gunnel.
Ouch. Man, I would find some way to adjust that to avoid generating fumes inside the living space. That could lead to tragic results.
Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try this: next time you fill to burp point mark the level on the outside of the opaque tank with tape or paint line. The top of your tanks taper down. As a result the last gallon or so to go in is really fast. Stop or slow filling before it reaches that mark. As the doctor says: if it hurts when you do that, don't do it anymore.

It's something in the water!
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem. When filling the tanks I can get about a 6" fountain of fuel out of the filler before the nozzle cutoff kicks in. Even when watching closely it is difficult to prevent the fountaining if I want the tanks full.

On my boat I cannot see the fuel level when is it near the top of the tank so I have to guess when to cut the inlet flow.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my Stingray the fuel fill and vent are combined(pictures in my album). Because it has a relatively short fill hose it likes to burp back when nearing full. A lot of other Stingray owners have added a fuel vent whistle. When filling you listen for the whistle to change pitch as it nears full. Another thing Stingray did to help alleviate the problem was to install a larger dia. fill hose.

Another problem I have is my tank is 35 gal. but in the water, with the attendant standing on the swim platform it is hard to get more than about 30 gal. in it.

Regards, Rob

ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fill very slowly as our tanks are tiny compared to some bigger boats. Fuel delivery rates are geared to the big boats. I keep a fuel pad tucked under the camper back near the vent and go slow witha pad handy on the fill port. You don't want fuel in the water. Very illegal. Just go slow and let them wait. You don't want to rush thru refuelling. George
Robert H. Wilkinson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One attendant actually took his shoes off and filled my boat from the cockpit. In my case it was to keep his weight farther forward(off the swim platform). If you could do this in a CDory could you not view the fuel level if you have the transparent plastic tanks?

Like AstoriaDave said having the fuel fill inside the canvas would cause me some concern as well.

Rob
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert H. Wilkinson wrote:
If you could do this in a CDory could you not view the fuel level if you have the transparent plastic tanks?

Yes, you can do this - at least on boats with the translucent tanks (started somewhere around 1990). I was surprised at first by how slowly I needed to fill, but now I'm used to it. I have found that when it really gets bad is when the incoming fuel starts to "turbulate" as it hits the fuel in the tank (which of course is when the tank is nearing full). So I go a bit faster in the beginning and then slow way down as I see the incoming fuel starting to cause a commotion on the surface of the tank.

Another factor is that the port side fill hose takes a "dog leg" as it goes around the forward wall of the lazarette. This makes the port side tank more likely to sputter or burp out the filler at speed. If I were to do it again (I put in all new fuel hoses/parts), I would cut away part of that "wall" so as to make the fuel fill hose go down without a dog leg on that side - the space would hardly be missed from the lazarette, at least in my case, and the mod wouldn't show, so no need for gelcoat perfection.

I haven't ever read glowing reviews of those combination fill/vent fittings, although I've only used one a couple of times, so can't really say from experience. I slightly wonder how water resistant they are since the vent needs to let air in and it's in with the fill (?) I guess they must have figured something out!

So for the most part I'm with ghone - just fill slowly ('course it's a good question, because hey, maybe someone does have a good way).
Robert H. Wilkinson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:

I haven't ever read glowing reviews of those combination fill/vent fittings, although I've only used one a couple of times, so can't really say from experience. I slightly wonder how water resistant they are since the vent needs to let air in and it's in with the fill (?)

Sunbeam, this is the first boat I have owned with this type of set up. My Campion had the traditional separate vent. Comparing the 2, I would say my current fill with integral vent is less likely to suffer water intrusion. If you look at the pictures in my album - the fuel cap is sealed with a rubber O ring. The incoming air has to go through a bit of a maze to get in. My Campion was a much deeper hull but supposing a following sea did get up to the top of the transom I would trust my cap as opposed to the vent on the Campion.

I think more boats are going to this style for environmental reasons. I believe they are designed to only let air in while the engine is running causing a negative pressure and out when moored on a hot day and the fuel expands causing a positive pressure. The vents that let air come and go as it pleases let too many hydrocarbons escape(or something like that). This leads me to think that my type of set up would be less susceptible to condensation in the tank as well ??

Regards, Rob
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going slow--and I never put the fuel fill on kick off--always manual filling. I listen to the sound as the tank fills, and watch the level. Rare to have a problem with this technique. Takes more time.

I have a combo vent fill on the Caracal, and no problems--again go slow.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
williwaw

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm sure this is a topic familiar to all of us. But perhaps I should have been more clear: I have a 23 Venture which has two 32 gallon aluminum tanks. The fill hose is short - something like 2 feet. I usually listen for a change in pitch through the fill hole then slow down but even so it tends to burp. And going slow too early makes for long fill times.

So... that leads back to the Perko in-line check valve (link in first post). I was thinking that this would prevent fuel from going back up the fill hose but have no experience with such a device.
Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I assumed you had translucent plastic tanks. I'm also sorry I can't offer any experience with the device you are considering. That said, you must then have a gauge which should give you a fairly accurate estimate of the amount needed to fill, right? Just slow down a gallon before that. i just can't see throwing money at a problem that is easily corrected by a slight change in technique. Every boat has its own personality. If people have to wait to fuel it's part of the deal. I've waited lots of times for passengers in the restrooms and shopping for t-shirts, getting ice etc. I would not ever use the automatic shut off clip on the nozzle. I don't even do that on the car. Can't stand gas soaked underware.
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Fuel filler back splash prevention? Reply with quote

We added whistles that are sold by Defender that go in line on the fuel tank's vent line. Easy to install. When refueling listen to the whistle as air is being pushed out the vent whistle stops; stop the fueling process. We just cut the existing vent hose installed the whistle in line and a couple more hose clamps and your good to go. If you are interested just go to www.defender.com and type fuel whistle into the search box.
D.D.

williwaw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll try adding the whistles as it seems low risk and easy to install. Hopefully the pitch won't conflict with the ringing from my Tinnitus Smile
Robert H. Wilkinson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

williwaw, if you do get the fuel fill check valve could you re post here to say how it works. A lot of Stingray owners have installed the vent whistles and seem to like them. The only thing, if you fill on the trailer most stations are in a noisy place.

Regards, Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: