HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Larger fuel tank on a 16 cruiser?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RonJr

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
Photos: Beagle
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Larger fuel tank on a 16 cruiser? Reply with quote

I have a 2004 16' Cruiser. I'm considering moving from portable tanks to a larger, fixed tank. I'm interested in the opinions of those with a 16 on such a move, especially anyone who has personally installed a larger tank. Thanks.

I want to increase my cruising range. I wonder about my ability to lift portable tanks in and out of the boat, as I get older.

jep111

City/Region: Carmichael
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1992
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mas Que NADA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also looking to do this. I relocated my batteries forward, so I wanted to install a tank on each side of the depression with the bilge pump. Couldn't find a suitably shaped tank, so I ended up with just a couple of six gallon Tempos. If anyone can find something that fits in that space, I'd love to hear it!

Cheers!

John
1992 C16 Cruiser
akc-dory

City/Region: Fairbanks
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also would like to increase or cruising range. Presently have 2 - 12 gallon tanks, battery and bilge pump that fit under engine splashwell pretty well, but snugly.
akc-dory

City/Region: Fairbanks
State or Province: AK
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also would like to increase or cruising range. Presently have 2 - 12 gallon tanks, battery and bilge pump that fit under engine splashwell pretty well, but snugly.
jimicliff

City/Region: Mount Dora
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Ocklawaha Queen
Photos: Ocklawaha Queen
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey yall, I understand I did it last year. My tank sits on the port side floor and runs forward to within a foot of the port passenger seat. I have a Honda 50 four stroke with my 29 gal tank I have 165 mile range. Look at my pictures for a glance. It makes getting in and out of the boat much easier and it is a great seat with a throwable cushion. Some people on this sight had saddle tanks fabricated, they go into the walls of the rear area, it was just to expensive for me. After a year with the tank I'm still happy and I have used my boat weekly for two years now. I did 800 miles last year in two weeks and the 29 gal tank was perfect.
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's Jimicliff's tank. Beautiful job!

Here's a picture of the tank that was on our boat when we bought it. It looks a lot like one of the two that come on a 22 footer. It holds about 20 gallons I think.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
jep111

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dotnmarty wrote:

Here's a picture of the tank that was on our boat when we bought it. It looks a lot like one of the two that come on a 22 footer. It holds about 20 gallons I think.

Marty,

Do you have a picture that shows the top of the tank? I'd sure like to see how they did the fuel fill. Two of those would be perfect in my boat!

Thanks,

John
jep111

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

akc-dory wrote:

Any chance you could post a picture of the tanks and installation? I would love to have two 12s!

Cheers!

John
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, This is the best I can do for now as the boat is put away for the winter. You can just make out the side view of the filler cap to the right of the blue line. The vent is at the side of the splashwell covered with a stainless clamshell.

jep111

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dotnmarty wrote:
John, This is the best I can do for now as the boat is put away for the winter. You can just make out the side view of the filler cap to the right of the blue line. The vent is at the side of the splashwell covered with a stainless clamshell.

Thanks, Marty, that is a help.

When I look at those Moeller tanks I see the fill rises up 2.75", and I couldn't see how you would get room… it looks like the fill is so far over to the right that there is a straight (more or less) shot to the fill on the tank. Maybe I need to make one out of cardboard and mock it up.

I think I can only fit two of the 20" long ones (12 gallon). Still, 24 gallons fixed is pretty good!

John
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best solution I've seen to the heavy stern, short boat, and need for larger gas tanks on a C-Dory 16, was Dave Thompsons:

He cut the boat in half and added two feet to it!

C-Voyager's 24" hull extension

Might be able to do something akin, but not as radical, by adding an Armstrong style bracket to extend the hull and motor out the back another two feet and thus add some extra hull length and flotation.

A custom bracket design could add a gas tank inside the bracket, freeing up more hull space, though the weight would be better positioned forward in a pair of saddle tanks amidships.

Or one could just move up to a CD 18, 19, or 22.

Something to think about!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
jep111

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dotnmarty wrote:

I went out and looked, and it just didn't seem possible! Then I looked at your photo again, and I realized I have fiberglass hull liner and foam where the right side of your tank is… if I cut that away, I'd have plenty of room. Hmmm...
jep111

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
The best solution I've seen to the heavy stern, short boat, and need for larger gas tanks on a C-Dory 16, was Dave Thompsons:

He cut the boat in half and added two feet to it!

C-Voyager's 24" hull extension

Might be able to do something akin, but not as radical, by adding an Armstrong style bracket to extend the hull and motor out the back another two feet and thus add some extra hull length and flotation.

A custom bracket design could add a gas tank inside the bracket, freeing up more hull space, though the weight would be better positioned forward in a pair of saddle tanks amidships.

Or one could just move up to a CD 18, 19, or 22.

Something to think about!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Or just relocate the batteries to under the v-berth like I did. Thumbs Up

John
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, are you volunteering to do the renovations to Ron's boat so he can install a bigger tank?? Laughing

I don't think an Armstrong bracket will add hull length. Actually I think they are used by some to get the prop set back behind the hull where it runs in clearer(less disturbed) water. Some boats also handle better as the bracket changes the steering geometry(pivot point).

They do add flotation where its needed though. On a C dory that has foam in the bow this would be a good set-up. If I was ordering a custom build like the Sea Skiff 22 and could get a motor well or for 2 grand extra - a full transom with an Armstrong bracket,,,, I would consider it money well spent.

Regards, Rob

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob-

A custom Armstrong-like bracket could be designed to fit right up to the end of the transom and backward, effectively extending the hull out longer and up to as wide as one designed it, with the same "V" in its bottom as the original hull.

I wasn't thinking of a ready made item from an existing supplier out of a catalog of factory choices.

Probably an easier design and do operation than Dave's 24" hull lengthening.

Thanks for helping me clarify the concept.

Have a great weekend!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: