Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anne Westlund

City/Region: De Tour Village
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Gentle Lady
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Solo boating Reply with quote

1. Solo boating should always be in sober conditions for the captain. Always. Things happen too fast to be fuzzy with alcohol or recreational drugs. Even in night time things can demand you be sober. Be careful, don't get muzzy headed.

2. Always have your equipment and boat in the best possible condition.

3. If in doubt don't go out.

4. Make weather your hobby until you know it in your bones. In new waters be extra careful with weather conditions. Ask fisherfolks for local weather patterns and signs.

5. Trust your intuition.

Female
Lost Petrel

City/Region: Potter Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Wild Blue
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anne, Welcome aboard!

(from another former Potter owner)

http://lostpetrel.blogspot.com/
Other boats;
Cape Dory Typhoon
Pearson Ariel
My Galleries
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has turned into a pretty decent resource. Thanks to all for the participation and fine suggestions. I had not given as much personal thought to the alcohol component, probably because it is not part of my life and would not be on board, but, just like the forces of the water we are on, the chemistry of the drug cannot be ignored.

In keeping with my safe boating practices, I recently completed my Vessel Safety Inspection, a voluntary audit of my vessel by a disinterested party, aimed at ensuring compliance and awareness of good safety practices and current dating on safety devices. Everything was in compliance, once I found the Kidde Fire extinguisher defect. It is being replaced by Kidde.

The survey also found that I have some flares that are still current, but do outdate during this season, so they will be replaced soon. (Especially since I just noticed that West Marine has them on sale this weekend for 20 - 25% off.)

The VSI can be done by either Auxillary Coast Guard or Power Squadron folks so it is available in almost any boating community. I would highly recommend making contact and getting the shield sticker applied to a port side window. It could save you some time on the water. On several occasions I have had Coast Guard, or once, a LLE boat come in close, obviously looking for the sticker, see it and wave or thumbs up and off they go. the advantage of the VSI, not tickets are ever written on that one. If something is not right, they tell you what, and give you the chance to make it right (as in my Kidde fire extinguisher moment), and then sing it off when right.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

cgypsy

City/Region: Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C Gypsy
Photos: C Gypsy
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: alcohol on board Reply with quote

I usually go out by myself an alcohol is not an issue, however last summer I took a couple of friends and they brought a case of beer, which they enjoyed.

The more they enjoyed the more relaxed they became and I realized that I needed to watch them so they didn't do anything stupid, they would be a liability in an emergency (if I needed them them to help or move out of the way) and because some of my attention was devoted to keeping an eye on them I wasn't paying as much attention as I should to what I needed to be doing to skipper the boat safely.

And, if they should fall in, rescuing them, put me and my boat at risk.

This summer, it will be a dry boat (except at anchor or dock) for me AND my passengers.
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ran across an article in the BoatUS on line magazine that has some really good tips for those of us that single hand (and even for those that do not). It says it is geared to fishermen, but we all know that there are others that single hand too. Maybe this will trigger some new thoughts and practices for us.

So here it is:

https://www.boatus.com/expert-advice/expert-advice-archive/2017/february/angling-alone?utm_source=membership&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=eline

Enjoy and stay safe.
This is really weird, now the whole post has gone invisible.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: