HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Single Handing Safety Tips and Considerations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No lecture about alcohol on the boat from here. I need a higher level of alertness when on the helm than I do driving down the freeway with all those handy lines to keep you in lane and road signs for guidance ... on the water, more variables, more stuff to keep track of, wet stuff to fall into. A beer or two would compromise me ... but perhaps not you.

And at the end of the day, a tall cold one is a handy relaxer when tied up or on the hook. And I indulge.

What's not to like?

Ray

City/Region: Pamlico River
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Photos: Seaweed
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And at the end of the day, a tall cold one is a handy relaxer when tied up or on the hook. And I indulge.

What I refer to as my "All clear beer."

Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More common sense - about ETOH/boating:

* NEVER underway, just before departing, when pregnant or alone
* If partaking, ALWAYS ashore, on the hook, docked or moored in moderation**,
of course Wink
* Best enjoyed with friends as a "sundowner" after a great day on the water

Aye.

**Grandpa, an old Navy man who liked fine cigars, pretty women, sharp cheese
and Ezra Brooks bourbon, used to say, "A gentleman never has more than three
martinis before dinner".

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't drink any beverage containing alcohol while operating the boat or in a vehicle on the highway, but sure do enjoy a ration of Captain Morgan, while on the hook or in the evening at the dock. Concerning needing a clear head more either while operating the boat or the vehicle on the road to me is for the most part comparing apples to apples, but will say on all of our extended cruises to the Southeast Alaska area the nearest we came to disaster on each was while on the road parts of these trips & the worst each happened on the freeways in the greater Seattle area, which I now make sure to transit only in the hours around noon or very late at night.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you on this Harvey. But too many do mix alcohol with boating (and driving), and unfortunately their idea of moderation is debatable.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kushtaka"
Third (maybe most importantly) get intimately familiar with your boat's response to control inputs. [/quote]

This paragraph contains a lot of good info. All I can add is, apart from the obvious wind/current,etc. there are a few things that can affect the way your boat turns. LOAD - and how it is distributed. We become familiar fairly quickly how it steers forward but reversing some boaters are less familiar. My boat(single screw I/O) for example is subject to the port walk in reverse because of the drive torque. I discovered on 2 occasions that with it loaded stern heavy for a cruise I could reverse with the helm hard to starboard and it still reversed straight back. Worked myself into a tight corner both times thinking,,, it will come around. Had to use a burst of throttle to get the stern broke loose. A duo prop drive or twin counter rotating engines will negate this effect but my only option was to install a 4 blade prop this summer - reverse thrust, dockside control and manoeuvering in tight channels greatly improved.

Regards, Rob

westward

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This discussion does raise an important practical issue: finding the balance between preparedness and overkill with respect to gear. (As I write this I'm sorting out/paring down the contents of 8 tackle boxes full of "necessary" gear which have finally made our fishing experience a cluster***). Same could easily apply to safety gear. To be of value it all needs to be well maintained, its proper use practiced and mastered, stowed where it's easily accessible, and not be so copious that it's in the way, underfoot or the source of further confusion or a false sense of security. Not to be cavalier or a wise-ass, but I think about the sad irony of emergency situation where I go to turn on my handheld VHF, only to find it not working because I haven't charged the battery in many months, because I haven't used it in many months. This pre-supposes I could actually find the damn thing since I haven't laid eyes on it in many months. (I think it's in the under the cuddy storage in the same tote as my flares). My new boating focus is on organizational simplicity: a place for everything and everything in its place. I would welcome photos and suggestions from folks who have overcome the clutter bug on their boat. Cheers, and happy 2015! Mike.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I follow most of the safety tips mentioned above but there are a couple I always do when on my own. I do not leave the cabin without a PFD on, and the boat has to be stopped. As soon as the boat is stopped (if not at the dock) I put out my 'hook on' boarding ladder. I attach a thick piece of rope to the grab bar on the rear cabin bulkhead. This rope has big knots in it every 18" and a loop at the end to put a foot in. This rope hangs next to the ladder for quick access. This procedure is a must before going forward to anchor.
No alcohol consumed until the underway boating is finished for the day. If I am at anchor and I row over to a friends boat for a cold one, I always return to the motherboat before dark.

Martin.
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many good ideas here. I particularly like Westward's on the balance between too much and too little. I also make it a point to have place for everything and put things back after use. To help me, I label the important spots, i.e. A red cross where the first aid kit is, a big label where thef flares are, another for tools, spare anchor,etc. whenever a guest is aboard we go through a location and use checklist so they (theoretically), will know where things are and maybe even how to use the radio and flares. Our inflatable pfds go on before the engines start and come off after we are tied up at the dock. I have a uscgaux supplied Mayday card right by the radio so that guest can make a call after I've fallen overboard. The boat name, description, length,etc. are on labels right by the mike. We enjoy a glass or two of wine/beer but never when underway or within an hour of departure.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above is the content of our "ditch bag"--and is carried in a fairly small clear "Sea Land" bag. For us this is the "just right" sorted out over many years of boating. This is by the helm, in the dinghy etc. The amount of gear on one's person is fairly simple--and attached to the inflatable PFD or a floatation vest (not the cheap over the head class II often used). The whistle, VHF and PLB.

A swim step with a ladder (and outboard motor near by) allow re-boarding--also any outboard with a tilt/trim will help in re-boarding.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

A swim step with a ladder (and outboard motor near by) allow re-boarding--also any outboard with a tilt/trim will help in re-boarding.

Bob, my Campion had no reboarding ladder. It had a Stingray Foil on the outdrive and it was very easy to step on it and climb onto the swim platform. A marine mechanic told me one time that they didn't serve much purpose on a outdrive. I showed him what I used it for. Cool

One thing I keep in my tool kit as well as the Coleman rain coats is the foil ones that help retain body heat. I inadvertently( Twisted Evil ) soaked my mother in law one time sitting in the front of my bow rider. I gave her a foil coat and she said it did keep her warm. It also seemed to keep the aliens away! Smile

Other good things from Coleman to keep aboard are the red and green light sticks and the hand warmer packs that you shake to activate. They also have camp hangers that come in a 2 pack, 1 red and 1 green. I use them to clamp on my dash fiddles when on the canals. If you do The Trent/Severn both ways you have to change your red/green orientation 3 times. Can be confusing, we watched a houseboat pass on the wrong side of a buoy last Sept. Ran up on a shoal.

Rob
rjmcnabb

City/Region: Pender Island (Southern Gulf Islands)
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Luna
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I boat alone most of the time, and I think that any safety regimen begins and ends at the dock. I have seen enough people fall between the dock and their boat that I never take it for granted. For me, my first and last dock line is permanently on the midship cleat, and it is draped through the window where I can reach it from inside and out. On both sides of the boat, I have attached dock lines fore and aft. When leaving the dock, I tie them together when they are free and drop the knot and extra line into the front of the cockpit. The midship line I can remove from the dock cleat while reaching out the window, and drop it behind the seat. When I dock, boat hook always handy, I take the tied lines onto the dock and use them as a bridle to control the boat until the midship line is cleated. After that, for and aft is easy.
On the water, I think that too many hand grips are never enough, including a SS handle on the visor. I don't fish much but that will be the time that the boat bucks around the most, unsteered and slow or drifting. I have a permanently lashed handle (a piece of plastic pipe lashed slackly to the roof rails) that dangles below the cabin roof, and I install a heavy rope on each side between the grab grips and the stern cleats. They slope down, so are no substitute for a proper rail, but they are handy grips.
Fenders present another problem, keeping you near the side and possibly reaching overboard. I carry 4 fenders on my active side, the last being tied to the stern cleat — not too bad. The 3 forward fenders have a line that joins together their bottom loops and terminates at the cockpit where I can tie it to a handle: pull this line snug and cleat it with all 3 fenders clear of the water and up on, or parallel, to the gunwales. To release, uncleat it and give a little yank. It takes a little fiddling to adjust the first time, then it's all good.
For re-entry fom the water (which I never have done,) I keep a portable swim ladder ready to hang on the coaming, and a single step rope ladder rolled up against a stern cleat at all times. In addition, I guess my Doelfin will allow me to climb the outboard or use the engine tilt control for a boost. Jeezh!
Last, but not least, I wear an inflatable PFD, and put it on as soon as I arrive at the boat. Slippery dock, cold water, and the nearest pull down ladder is HOW FAR away?
Happy New Year, and a safe one, to all the Brats.
Rod

Rod & Jane; Victoria 18 sloop (Vickie) - gone; Islander 26 Bahama sloop (Callisto) - gone; WW Potter 19 sloop (Spring) - gone; Com-Pac 16 sloop (Bummer II) - gone; Nimble 24 yawl (Chatelaine) - gone; Nimble Vagabond cruiser (Loligo) - gone; C-Dory 22 Cruiser (NoddyBleu) - gone; Com-Pac 19 sloop ('Winkle) - gone; San Juan 24 sloop (Loligo^2) - gone; C-Dory 16 cruiser (Luna); Catalina Capri 18 sloop (Later)
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look at auto tether
http://www.landfallnavigation.com/autotether.html?cmp=froogle&kw=autotether&utm_source=autotether&utm_medium=shopping%2Bengine&utm_campaign=froogle

or similar device and practice climbing into boat with the swim step and ladder, maybe adding a line by the swim step as help climb aboard

I just read about a guy tripping and falling over board. Boat was on autopilot and he swam hours- 9 miles back to shore

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sports/football/ex-miami-dolphins-player-rob-konrad-falls-from-boa/njjk6/

Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don"t have a swimstep reboarding using the cavitation plate isn't too difficult if you practice it. Obviously you want to MAKE SURE THE MOTOR IS SHUT OFF AND NO ONE WILL INADVERTENTLY RESTART IT(!)

If you choose to use the cavitation plate as a step, a 4-6" piece of non skid tape applied to the topside of the cavitation plate will help to keep your wet foot in place. If applied to the topside of the cavitation plate it will not adversely affect performance when the boat is on plane. (At displacement speeds it's not a significant factor.)

In addition to the non-skid tape tie a short piece of line (wiith a couple of knots for added grip) to the nearby aft cleat. It'll help as you climb back aboard. If you do this sort of maneuver frequently (e.g. Lake Powell...) consider permanently mounting a SS handhold near the back of the lazarette (where you can reach it while climbing back aboard).

Best,
C&M

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up to this point I have not been using a PLB. I do carry a handheld VHF on my PFD. I am considering adding either a PLB or an individual AIS beacon. Both are about the same price. There is obviously a difference, but it may be that the response time for the PLB could be longer than the AIS response. that would depend on IF there was a vessel with an AIS receiver within range.

Thoughts? It would be great if there was a combined device but thiere is not one that I know of.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: