Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of good solo-safety suggetions here.

I'll throw in two suggestions. They're not in the safety realm, but they add to to the convenience factor.

We always keep "fixed" bow and stern lines in place for both port and starboard. The four bitter ends of the lines are secured in cam-cleats mounted on the gunnel near midship location (where you generally get on/off the boat). Having the lines fixed in those locations make line handling at the dock much easier.

We cruise with only three fenders (less stuff to store). One round (Norwegian?) fender that is deployed through the cabin window and secured to the port/starboard midship cleat. Each conventional fender is kept tied to the outside handholds on the aft side of the cabin. If properly tied off, it's simple to merely flop the appropriate fender over the gunnel prior to making your approach to the dock.

If conditions at the dock are rough you still have a third fender to use when necessary. ...and don't forget your Type IV PFD (flotation cushion). In rare conditions it can also serve as a fender.

These simple practices can simplify boat handling in a busy marina.

Best,
Casey&Mary

Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

I also wore a float coat. Not only buoyancy, but many have a "crotch strap" where you can keep the coat from riding up and preserve more heat.

My son and I fish late Oct. in northern Ontario. I wear a float coat as a overcoat. It is a good windbreak keeps you fairly warm and doubles duty as raingear.

Casey's idea re. dock lines is good. My wife would usually start removing fenders and lines as we left the ramp. 2 years ago we were half way up the first fairway and our overheating alarm sounded. We tucked into a vacant slip and fixed the problem(flush port cap not on tight). We still remove lines and fenders on Lake Erie but we now idle out into the lake first. On the return we power off before entering and re attach everything. I had a guy in a small fishing boat pass me on the fairway coming into the marina one day. When I got to the ramp he was still fumbling with his dock lines trying to tie up.

A dock hook is a good thing to keep handy when singlehanding.

Regards, Rob

NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of great ideas!

I do a lot of single-handing, mostly in some pretty out-there parts of BC and SE Alaska - crossing the Dixon Entrance, for instance.

Though I'm generally pretty conservative about weather and sea state, one thing I do quite consciously when single-handing is to be even more conservative. For instance, I don't set out on a major crossing when the forecast is for more than 15 knots, or existing conditions are wind waves greater than 3 feet. Most especially when the wind and tidal currents are going to be opposed.

Cindy Sea (CD 22 Cruiser, from 1991 to 1998)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess one of the items I failed to mention should also be in your cruising practices.

It goes along with the old saying: "A place for everything, and everything in its place."

When you're boating (alone or with a crew) know where certain items are stored can be Very helpful. Routinely keeping your lines and fenders in a certain place (and secured in a consistent way) can be helpful. The same goes for items like your binoculars, a flashlight, your search light, fire extinguisher & flares, tow line and bridle, tool box, knife, etc. etc. You many not realize how handy being organized is until that dark-and-stormy night when you desperately need something.

Best,
C&M
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's get real.

Everyone isn't always going to have everything they need aboard to remedy the
mirad of emergency situations that can occur while single handling their style
of sea going vessel.

Murphy's Law predicts that you will need the one thing you don't have when you
need it most.

So, what to do?

I've found, over the past 50 years afloat, using more common sense (compared to
stuffing every available space full of things someone else said you might need) works
very well indeed.

And, if you have to put emphasis somewhere, put it in studying weather.

Aye.

1TUBERIDER

City/Region: Crescent City
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't go alone in my boat. I only fish out of my boat and would rather share the experience with a friend or family when using the boat. I do give my crew the chance to drive and get familiar with the controls.

I am thinking of purchasing a kayak hobie pro angler that I will go alone on. I will pick my days and have a vhf, a pole with a flag on it, a gps and a life jacket on. I will probably never venture out to far. My interest will be fishing without the maintenance factor or hassle of the boat I presently deal with. I will be able to fish in places I presently stay away from. It will be fun to hook into a large fish. EEEEEHa. I would enjoy seeing or fishing with others in a similar fashion but won't worry about soloing as it will be easy to launch, maintain and probably put me on more fish that boaters usually leave alone. Any one else doing it, have any suggestions or want to hook up this summer for a fun day of fishing our remote waters.

Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kayaks have problems of their own. Below is a link to an article I wrote when I
was active in our local paddle club. Since many on this site boat in the PNW
(read cold water), I think some may find this informative.

http://www.traverseareapaddleclub.org/content.aspxpage_id=86&club_id=81340

Click
"Documents" then
"Paddling Related Articles" then
"Cold Water Shock"

Aye.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I boat in the Puget Sound and BC plus some lakes and don't boat alone because I don't want to. It's a family activity for me and I can't really imagine taking the dory out on my own because I have other options that I would prefer over solo boating.

I kayak mostly in BC but also occaisionally in local/NW waters and I also do not paddle alone ever. First of all, I don't really enjoy it as much, plus, I like to travel significant distances and cross open water and paddle in the winter in nearly all weather conditions and just don't believe it is safe enough to do that solo even though I have plenty of training and experience to justify it generally. Another boat is just such a help when things turn south and the cold water is so unforgiving.

I lead groups of three to five in exposed northern waters from Oct-Apr and have been doing that for many years. I think many of the comments thus far are great and go even further than I think is needed.

Many operations performed in the name of safety are really impractical and serve mostly as aids to reduce the stress and the sense of over-burdensome responsibility that boating can impart. This is not unique to boating.

Some folks feel fine bypassing a few details and some of us might add a few to feel confident enough, but the point is to ultimately get out there and feel good about it.

I have jumped through many personally unnecessary "safety" hoops for travel companions so that they could fulfill their need to feel "prepared".

This could be listening to the forecast more frequently, carrying a fancier radio because they will feel better about it, or just going over the route one more time to increase their situational awareness. I have also discussed and outlined backup plans when they were logically unnecessary but if it puts a person at ease and allows them to relax and enjoy, then it was worth it.

Getting out on the water is just plain worth it, and I applaud you all for sharing details on how you make it happen for you.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most of what has been said, both by minimalistsand maximalists. Those of you that know me know that I am a bit of a safety nut. I carry more stuff than many people do and less certainly than people who are even more nutty about safety than I. Having said that I do my best to always carry a full container of common sense. Among its contents are an antidote to get-home-itis, a testosterone control pill so I don't need to show I am the manliest man among us, a little dab of patience gel so I don't get too frustrated when things don't do exactly what I want when I want it, etc. etc. you get the point.
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
C-Dory Year: 2007
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Common sense" can mean many things, and is not all that useful a term. If someone has decades of experience on the water they have a lot of data in their heads, and they see it as a variety of lists even if not written out.

Check lists are basic tools for those working in transportation.

For those of us starting out relying on common sense is a useless plan and dangerous. We need lists, and those lists need to be written down and followed, some to the letter.

I am an avid reader on this site because of those of you who have suggested a variety of lists.
1TUBERIDER

City/Region: Crescent City
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips on kayaking. I was not able to access your report foggy.
I will be careful and take my new adventures in baby steps as I learn the ins and outs of it.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a lot of single handling my boat, and while everything mentioned so far is worth reading and thinking about, I would agree with Foggy, common sense is by far the most practical item to have, even with crew aboard. That being said, I carry some tools and spare parts, such as filters, etc. I don't carry anything different just because I'm alone. I do have a "ditch" kit made up in one of those plastic waterproof bags which includes flares and other such devices. Also a hand held VHF radio. some LED strobes, etc. Probably the only thing I do different than when I have my wife or others aboard, is wear my life jacket in the cockpit when offshore. (And I still wear that when in cold water, even when I have crew aboard.) Most my boating is on local lakes, so being alone there is going to be a lot different than being alone off shore in Lake Michigan, or the left or right coast. I would rarely wear my life jacket in the local lake, as I would in Lake Michigan. I also fill out and leave float plans or let others know where I'm going and when they will hear from me again. (Which is usually within so many hours!) I guess that last thing would be a high priority item when boating alone! Colby
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, time for me to work on my clarity of expression. When I said "I do my best to always carry a full container of common sense." I meant in addition to my normal preparations, not instead of safety equipment and planning. Wink
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Barry has logged enough C-dory time to have a fair measure of uncommon sense on board as well. I find that type of sense harder to earn but much more valuable.
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert H. Wilkinson wrote:

Never stand on a seat to pee over the side. Unfortunately a lot of boaters singlehanding(no pun intended) have died with their pants down - literally.

Regards, Rob

They were peeing when they fell in? Hmmm, I was told that these unfortunate guys were trolling for mermaids.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: