The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Lenco 9x12 edge mounts and permatrim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Fishin C

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Lenco 9x12 edge mounts and permatrim Reply with quote

Merry Christmas all!

Want to add Lenco 9x12 edgemount trim tabs myself. That is what will fit best and easiest for me to install.

They are only for side to side leveling as I already have the permatrim on the outboard.

Can anyone comment on how the 9x12's work for side to side leveling on a 22 cruiser?

Thanks!
Stefan : Xmas LOL Xmas Naughty
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merry Christmas Stefan,

They work great as I had Bennett 9 x 12 Sport Tabs on my 22. When I had 2 on the port they sure took care of leveling the boat. I didn't have Perma Trim on the twin 40s so I used them to get the bow down, too.

You won't go wrong and they are easy to install, too.

Good luck and have fun.

Patrick

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They work fine, I'd like mine to have an indicator to see what position they are in, may add that. Don't have a permatrim on my ETec 90 either.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not where I can measure now, but I believe that is about the size I have. I would consider going larger, extending farther aft and VERY firmly mounted. I think they would be more effective, and I could provide a stepping spot for re-entry into the boat should I take an unplanned overboard experience. I too have twin 40's without the Permatrim's, and can easily see stepping onto the lower unit and the up onto trim tab before reaching the splashwell.

Just a second use for something on the boat.

I do think the larger surface area would allow for better attitude control without making quit so much drag.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

A Fishin C

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks all,

Harvey,
Does the line at the top of the tab come through the transom inside the splash well? or below the splash well behind the fuel tanks?
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just at the bottom of the Splashwell. Not sure of the technical name but there are the little "half shell, scoop covers" over the lines. Does work as a minimal secondary splashwell drain at each corner.

You can just barely see them in the picture.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
C-Green

City/Region: Houghton
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: C-Green
Photos: C-Green
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took the wires over the stern and through the boot into the starboard lazarette. Used wire guides to keep wiring in place and looking neat.

Jay
A Fishin C

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After thoroughly researching trim tabs on this site and on mfg's site, I'm convinced, I think, that there lies some some confusion (at least amongst myself) as to the sizing of trim tabs.

Lenco and Bennett seem to measure them differently.

Ie. a 9 x 12 trim tab from Lenco is 9" out from the transom and 12 inches along the hinge.

Bennett has the numbers reversed I believe. ie. a 10 x 12 Bennett trim tab is 10 inches along the hinge and 12" out from the transom.

If this is so, it is very hard to judge who has what, and what works well, in terms of Lenco.

hmmm...
Neutral

I like the idea of taking the wires over the transom Jay. Thereby not drilling through the transom.
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good question.

Quote:
"Lenco and Bennett seem to measure them differently.

Ie. a 9 x 12 trim tab from Lenco is 9" out from the transom and 12 inches along the hinge.

Bennett has the numbers reversed I believe. ie. a 10 x 12 Bennett trim tab is 10 inches along the hinge and 12" out from the transom.

If this is so, it is very hard to judge who has what, ..."

I think that square inches of surface area is what makes the difference; more being more effective than less. However. it seems to me that a longer tab might be more effective than a wider one, given the lever arm length advantage, but I am guessing, and should leave the "right" answer to the mathematicians, engineers and physics pros here to come up with that. Embarassed

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A long narrow arm will provide a lot of leverage. However from an engineering standpoint, the longer the arm the more difficult it is to engineer a way for the hardware to secure it onto the boat. They will also deflect a lot while under load which isn't good. Trim tabs are a really good upgrade.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, on all the above!

A few members* have made the comment before that BOTH LONGER AND WIDER ARE EVEN BETTER! (*Red Fox and 3rd Byte, for example.)

The benefits of Permatrims and Trim Tabs are many: for not only attitude control and lateral balance, but also for a smoother ride from the apparent lengthening of the boat effect and also from earlier planing and planing at lower speeds.

Knowing this, if I were setting up a new to me boat, I'd pick somewhat oversized trim tabs and hydrofoils, and especially so if I frequently overloaded the boat for cruising.

The oversized foils will add a little drag and take a mph or two off the top end, but pay for themselves in better overall performance.

And big foils are cheaper than two-foot-itis, too! Laughing

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to make a observation about the width vs length of trim tabs but first I wll say that the Lenco trim tabs on both of my cdorys have worked with our fail. I installed the lager ones on my 27 and just love them.

10 x 12 is the same as 12 x 10 BUT I would take wider tabs every time. Water flows as Bruce Lee was found of saying. A longer but thinner tabs is going to allow water to flow around it the farther from the stern it is. A shorter but wider tab is engaging more water closer to the stern, where is is compressed and unable to FLOW around as much. Now that is just how I look at it and the only way to really tell is to hire some lab to do the work but I am willing to bet I am right. Why? because I have driven a lot of cdorys and have noticed that the ones with the longer tabs, like my 22, need more adjustment or movement then the one with wider tabs, like my 27. Both will do the job just fine and the deciding factor just maybe how much room you have between your kicker and your hull anyway. The tabs on my 27 are to larger and if used improperly can cause handling problems, but I just don't use as much trim most of the time. I would always go larger because you can choose not to use as much trim but you can't add trim to a small tab. Just like motors get the biggest that will fit and throttle back.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: