Adding capability to lowrance hds7gen2 combo unit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Adding capability to lowrance hds7gen2 combo unit Reply with quote

I'm upgrading electronics on my boat and started with a Lowrance HDS7Gen2. It is great. I have sidescan/downscan as the only addition.

I had been planning on purchasing (piece by piece) additional gear to complete a fairly comprehensive electronics setup. I will absolutely be adding:

1. Outboard Pilot
2. radar (probably 3g, maybe 4g)

I had planned on adding:

1. sonarhub to increase sonar resolution
2. wifi1 (or a generic router to add wireless capability for viewing on tablet or phone)

total cost: ~$900

Now the HDS Gen3 gear is out, and it looks like Gen2 and Gen3 play nice together, so I could simply add an HDS7Gen3 and have redundant plotter/sounder capabilities, a second unit in the cockpit, and have both units running CHIRP sonar, and have wireless capability.

Total cost: ~$1250

Seems like it would be a good bet for a backup, but my old garmin plotter is still doing great and works fine for GPS backup.

Am I correct in my assumptions above (i.e. is adding an HDS Gen3 unit equivalent to adding sonarhub and wifi1 to my HDS Gen2)?

Are there benefits/pitfalls I'm not seeing to one way or the other?

Thanks, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
SounderSolutions

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Frequent-C
Photos: FREQUENT-C
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at the Simrad EVO 2 setup? It has all the parts and pieces you are looking for with the exception of radar, you still have to plug 3g or 4g into it. Also keep in mind that to get CHIRP in either application, you need the xducer which is sold separately. Then you have to decide on low, mid or high frequency CHIRP. Im guessing you are after salmon and halibut so mid freq would cover you.

Have fun updating!

Frequent-C (2006 Tomcat 24)
Tired Again (2011 Thundjet Luxor)
Kushtaka

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm told the simrad can't operate the Outboard Pilot. I guess I
Could still do that with my hds2 but only from one spot. If I added the hds3, I could control autopilot from both units. Good way to steer from the cockpit while trolling, so I think the new lowrance stuff would still have the edge.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kushtaka,

Do you have the Lowrance HDS7Gen2?

Looking at the HDS7Gen3, the new unit appears to combine a touch screen and push buttons, and throws in wireless as standard.

I have the Lowrance HDS7Gen2 (with buttons,) and am happy with it. It was a lot cheaper than the touch version and I trust buttons when the boat is bouncing around. I bought it basically for the ethernet connectivity with the 3G radar. I use an ethernet hub and run the radar display on OpenCpn, using a PC. Works great, gives a 15" display. But that's only the radar and chart plotting. I'm trying to figure out what all the depth sounder options are but I get confused. Don't know if I need a sonar hub for sidescan, what you realy need for CHIRP and if that's any good, etc, etc. When you get it figured out, let me know.

The 3G radar works well. Short range is great, takes only a small amount of DC power, and and is safe to stand in front of. The ethernet cabling is a wonderful advantage, because it doesn't limit you to just the Lowrance display. I certainly don't need the 4G, but that model does have some added features.

The HDS7 still has a single ethernet port on the rear, so I imagine you would have to buy Lowrance's hub or a commercial hub. Since everything is inside out of the elements, I got a cheap commercial ethernet hub, wired it into the 120AC and it's working great. I can troubleshoot the connection through the PC with Wireshark and see what's going on.

Again, let us know all the ins and outs of Lowrance sonar. I thought I knew digital interfaces and sonar, but I'm not so sure now.

Boris

Boris
Kushtaka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: lowrance outboard pilot! Reply with quote

It seems like the outboard pilot may work well with twin engines, but not twin helms.

It also seems like some of those who pre-ordered these months ago are taking shipment. Anyone get their hands on it yet?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: